Flower Bouquets [IMPL]

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Tangential

Flower Bouquets [IMPL]

Postby Tangential » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:25 am

I’m not sure if this has been suggested yet, but I did try to search the forum to make sure I didn’t duplicate anything. Maybe since I’m biased and love flowers, but I’d like to see bouquets as a possibility in which it can be prepared as a project and then given as a gift or sold as a product. Currently, flowers are given by grams from one person to the next, but with bouquets, the gift of flowers can be brought up a notch by its presentation for RP purposes.

How it would work:

To make a bouquet of flowers, you need bouquet string. There will be three kinds of bouquet string – small bouquet string, medium bouquet string, large bouquet string. The making of bouquet string is done without need of tools and machinery provided one has regular string already available.

The small bouquet string requires 50 grams of cotton, hemp, silk, or sinew string. It will be able to hold 100 grams of any kind(s) of flower(s). This will take 4 hours.

The medium bouquet string requires 100 grams of cotton, hemp, silk, or sinew string. It will be able to hold 200 grams of any kind(s) of flower(s). This will take 1 day.

The large bouquet string requires 150 grams of cotton, hemp, silk, or sinew string. It will be able to hold 300 grams of any kind(s) of flower(s). This will take 1.5 days.

Once these bouquet strings are complete, they will act as containers respective to their maximum containing capacity. From this, people can choose whether they wish to give a bouquet of only roses, or they can give a bouquet of a combination of flowers. When the bouquet strings are “filled” with flowers and then given to another person, people will see:

You see John Smith giving a (small, medium, or large) bouquet of flowers to Jane Smith.

Also, in the description, you can see that person carrying a (small, medium, or large) bouquet of flowers. But the specific flowers are not detailed. Instead, the people can “open” or “take out” what’s in their bouquet to see what kinds of flowers are in the bouquet. Not only do they get RP the kinds of flowers that were given, the flowers can be used as well by taking it out of the bouquet and using it to make a crown of flowers or even growing more flowers. That’s the purpose of making the bouquets into a sort of “container”.

Now the bouquet strings. It would be a shame for string for flower arrangement to be wasted, so maybe there can be a way to implement the unmaking of bouquet string back into regular string with the use of scissors and getting only a fraction of the string back.

For example, large bouquet string can be cut into 150 grams of regular string (half the original amount needed to make the large bouquet string) in 1 hour.

RP Value: This suggestion is only for the purpose of RP value. Flower bouquets can be made as a gift by those who have string, or it can be purchased from flower boutiques. A flower bouquet can be presented to someone your character has been secretly admiring as an unspoken proposal to get to know them better. It can be a gift from one lover to another on their special day together. It can be used as a gesture of peace from one town official to the other. It can be thrown by the bride at weddings, or it can be just a nicely packaged gift to strangers who share a love for flowers with the flower giver.

Sorry for the length of this post, I just wanted to cover as many angles as I could. Thanks for giving it a look over if you’ve gotten this far. =)
fallenval

Postby fallenval » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:15 am

I got that far :) good suggestion I'm going to go ahead and say that you should take out the undoing of the string because the rest of it would fit into the storage category except for that. Also you would technically be able to put other things besides flowers in it but oh well.

*Thumbs Up!*
RPG
Rocket Propelled Grenade
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:29 am

Currently, we haven't the ability to limit resources that can be stored. The porcelain vase and ceramic jardiniere are combined with flowers only in a fixed way, but I like this suggestion. Now that flowers are more common, there should be a cheaper alternative.
A piece of string as a storage container is also very interesting, for other things as well.

Approved, in some form.
Tangential

Postby Tangential » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:02 am

Oh wow! That was fast.. lol I thought my post was deleted or something when I didn't see it where I posted it last.

You see Tangential give a large bouquet of flowers to sanchez.

Yay! I'm excited this idea was accepted.
Rossato

Postby Rossato » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:31 am

Very, very good!
Não vai dar tempo!!
joo

Postby joo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:34 pm

There should definitely be the option to attach a note to the bouquet, with the note title being visible on the object, because that is, after all, why people give flowers, to give message. They could be put down when somebody is buried, next to their gravestone:

A medium bouqet labelled "Rest in peace, honoured friend"
joo

Postby joo » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:35 pm

joo wrote:There should definitely be the option to attach a note to the bouquet, with the note title being visible on the object, because that is, after all, why people give flowers, to give message. They could be put down when somebody is buried, next to their gravestone:

A medium bouqet labelled "Rest in peace, honoured friend"

edit: maybe the visible title isn't such a good idea, but a note should be able to be included.
Cookie

Postby Cookie » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:51 pm

I think the type of flower should be shown. Like...

You see John Smith giving a (small, medium, or large) bouquet of Roses to Jane Smith.

Because someones going to be more impressed by that than daisies. And also the resources department could make some rare flowers so you could get some even more special ones.
Tangential

Postby Tangential » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:20 pm

Cookie wrote:I think the type of flower should be shown. Like...

You see John Smith giving a (small, medium, or large) bouquet of Roses to Jane Smith.

Yea, I was thinking that before, but I had no idea how difficult or practical it would be to code it since the main focus was to make the string into a storage system where you can put any kind of flower into the bouquet for artistic or preferential reasons. Sure it'd be easy if all the flowers were roses and such, but what about a combination of roses, daisies, tulips, and buttercup or the many other possible combinations?

But then again, I thought if it were to be implemented that the bouquets would be restricted to only one kind of flower, you can still work around it to give multiple bouquets and then other characters will know right off the bat what kind of flower was in the bouquet*shrugs* I don't know.. I still would rather prefer it to be an open system where all kinds of combinations are possible. But if it can be somehow coded for the storage system to publicly display what kinds of flowers the bouquet has, that'd be pretty neat too.
girlygirl

Postby girlygirl » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:49 am

I think this idea with the flower bouquets is really nice. I would definitely use it and I guess many other people, too.
I would also prefer if different combinations of flowers would be possible - but if this is too complicated I guess also some standardised bouquets would do.
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:36 am

A bouquet is an ephemeral item, so should it rot or otherwise decay... and how?
Otherwise the things will be as permanent as landmarks.
Elros

Postby Elros » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:26 am

I like this idea as well. I think we should keep it simple though so that it can be implemented without having to receive special programming from the ProgD. They already have enough stuff to deal with. I say we make a bouquet for each kind of flower in the game such as:

"Bouquet of Roses" needs "x" amount of roses, and "x" amount of string. Tools needed would be scissors.

"Bouquet of Daises" needs "x" amount of daises, and "x" amount of string. Tools needed would be scissors.

"Bouquet of Sunflowers" needs "x" amount of roses, and "x" amount of string. Tools needed would be scissors.

ect...

Also, we could have a "Assorted Bouquet" that needed "x" amount of 4 common flowers in Cantr(I would have to look into the 4 most common).

If we kept it simple like this without adding any kind of storage container programming to it then it could be implemented rather quickly. Also, this is all you would need for roleplay anyways. I say we make the rot rate high as well.

Any comments?
Every action has a consequence.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:50 pm

What would you think best, make the bouquets as clothing, or as a visible item? If they're an item, you could add in rapid deterioration so they only last a year, and can't be repaired. Would make it realistic, and possibly the first real "consumed" item in the game.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Armulus Satchula

Postby Armulus Satchula » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:31 pm

Doug R. wrote:What would you think best, make the bouquets as clothing, or as a visible item? If they're an item, you could add in rapid deterioration so they only last a year, and can't be repaired. Would make it realistic, and possibly the first real "consumed" item in the game.

You wouldn't wear the flowers, you'd hold them. My other input is that it'd have a high rot rate with no repair. Gives more reason to use flowers and acts more like a gift if you can give it multiple times.

You see Bob give Sally a Rose Bouquet.
Sally Says: "Thanks! This will go nicely with my other 15"
Elros

Postby Elros » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:09 pm

I agree with both of you. We would make it an item, and it would have a very high rot rate. That way it would only last a certain amount of time just like they do in real life. I think a year would be the maximum amount of time that they would last. I think that would be appropriate. It would keep people buying and/or making them to give away since they do not last long.

I will do some research and come up with some suggestions for resource requirements.
Every action has a consequence.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”