Cantr Ad

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Cantr Ad

Postby Joshuamonkey » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:33 pm

I've seen a Cantr ad before, but I forgot where to get it. Can someone give me the html or link to find them?
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:16 am

DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:27 am

Has anybody in Marketing made a cantr poster that can be printed off? I could slap some of them on some of the clubhouse walls on campus.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:01 am

These all look pretty poor for today's standards and explain nothing that the game does and have no hook that would make someone even slightly interested in the game let alone interested in clicking the link..

We need a new better Marketing Department perhaps?
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:45 pm

Those were all fan made efforts. Agreed, they're certainly lacking. But I'm not complaining - no - because I don't have the time to, and probably couldn't, do much better.

Money where your mouth in Aldwitch. Show us what you've got...
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:09 pm

I made this one. Feel free to edit it as needed.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:21 pm

Doug's is smack on the ball - besides for aesthetics, it does everything it needs to.

As for making an ad, I'll get my team to make one later. We're pretty much at a stand-still with Sylorn.

"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

Leo Luncid

Postby Leo Luncid » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:11 pm

formerly known as hf wrote:Those were all fan made efforts. Agreed, they're certainly lacking. But I'm not complaining - no - because I don't have the time to, and probably couldn't, do much better.

N-Aldwitch wrote:Doug's is smack on the ball - besides for aesthetics, it does everything it needs to.

As for making an ad, I'll get my team to make one later. We're pretty much at a stand-still with Sylorn.
You do know hf's being rhetorical; you don't have to be more of an ass by simply responding like an idiot. Besides, you should quit shoving whatever you got around in front of people's faces saying you're better than others that way, because you're just making more reasons for us to not to care by the second. I may care enough to make you aware of this, but I guess I'm still naive that way.
Frits

Postby Frits » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:30 pm

Can i comment on Doug's design? I like the use of both big case and small case, nicely blended, nice fusion as well. What strikes me is the use of punctuation and correct spelling. Not sure if that will make it stand out :wink: There is, or seems to be, a period even behind imagination! Finally the text, ditch the "Yes?". It gives two questions in sequence, i think it's superfluous.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:40 pm

Leo Luncid wrote:
formerly known as hf wrote:Those were all fan made efforts. Agreed, they're certainly lacking. But I'm not complaining - no - because I don't have the time to, and probably couldn't, do much better.

N-Aldwitch wrote:Doug's is smack on the ball - besides for aesthetics, it does everything it needs to.

You do know hf's being rhetorical; you don't have to be more of an ass by simply responding like an idiot. Besides, you should quit shoving whatever you got around in front of people's faces saying you're better than others that way, because you're just making more reasons for us to not to care by the second. I may care enough to make you aware of this, but I guess I'm still naive that way.

I don't really feel empathy or sympathy or what ever. I just tell things exactly how they are. I don't f*** around, I get straight to the point. I don't like being soft and fuzzy 24/7, I like to have 5 sentences instead of 20 long extended feel-good ones.
It's the internet. If you get hurt over the internet, then.. :S

Most of all, I hate white lies. That point should explain/justify me enough. Perhaps not justify, but at least give you insight into how and why I respond in such ways/manners.

For example, I could have said:

"Wow, these banners are great, people took a lot of time and effort to make those. They were unpayed for this. Great! Though now we need some new modern-age ones which look better -" blah blah blah.

Cut to the chase. Don't make white lies. Sure, I appreciate the fact that those ads were made for free by volunteers, but that's obvious - we all appreciate it. Let's just get down to it faster. No point telling someone their piece of work is great when it's not, it gives false confidence. Does anyone honestly want that?

/end explanation and rant

Idriveayugo

Postby Idriveayugo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:29 pm

CANTR II
(Free text based society simulator)
YOU'VE NEVER LIVED A GAME LIKE THIS BEFORE

Then when they click on it, it takes em to a page which better describes what Cantr is. I know there is a description of what Cantr is already on the main page, but I think it could be improved upon.

Maybe talk about how there is no experience points, once you die that's it, all characters come from real people, along with the other stuff on the main page.

Also, the newbie guide, you gotta change it. By starting with "most players are quickly discouraged when playing Cantr" you pretty much set up more people to become discouraged with the game.

Then when you talk about how the "first day is sometimes very boring", you further detract more newbies.

Instead start the newbie guide with "Welcome to the newbie guide, take this advice into consideration or play at your own risk!" Then make sure to remind em "If your character dies, that character will not come back to life, so be careful." Then describe the importance of reading town laws after that, and emphasize to people not to steal, and/or leave town. Tell em "odds are you will get killed for stealing and if you are leaving town this early in the game, you need to learn some patience and realize this game is slow paced. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will your empire be."
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:37 pm

I thought if it was ugly and hard on the eyes, it would stand out better in a crowd of other flyers. Kind of like a train wreck.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:45 pm

Aldwitch:

Option c: STFU

I'm all for constructive criticism and pulling no punches
(your face, for example, could do with having the truck reverse back over it; to see if that re-sets it)

As most are probably aware - I'm hardly worried about the odd set of toes.

But, note: the productive/constructive qualification of that statement.

Yeah, sure, they're hardly bleeding edge graphic designs. But unless you're prepared to pull your thumb out of your arse and do something else, or come up with a serious suggestion for an alternative, what does it serve to point it out?

Seriously, if all you can say is 'that's a load of shite'. Just don't bother. It serves no purpose. Other than to make you look like a bit of a twat.
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:01 am

Touché! and I'm not even Aldwitch! :p

Doug, that works great! I'll print four in colour and ten in black and white....
It's sad that I'm on that serious of a budget at the beginning of the semester ;)
Joshuamonkey
Owner/GAB Chair/HR Chair/ProgD

Postby Joshuamonkey » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:36 pm

I'm totally printing this out! Seeing #004400 outside of the computer makes me feel good inside. lol
Joshuamonkey's Blog
http://doryiskom.myminicity.com/
https://writealyze.com
"Don't be afraid to be different, but be as good as you can be." - President James E. Faust
I'm LDS, play the cello, and run.

Return to “General Discussion”