Referring to the language

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Chris

Re: Referring to the language

Postby Chris » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:31 pm

Estaar wrote:I don't agree. Roughly explained, Polish is called Polish because it is spoken by people who live in Poland. There is no 'Poland' in game. I think that's why it shocks me when I hear the languages called by their to names.

Same is not the case for objects, somehow, if names are generic.

Maybe the word "Polish" just happened to feel good as a description to characters. If that's my story, who are you to say that's not the way it is? I can be anything I want in Cantr! If I say that "Polish" feels good and right, who are you to say that it's wrong? :P

Really, Cantr borrowed 99.9% of everything from Earth, and yet people balk when part of the 0.1% gets borrowed too, for the sake of convenience in a game that people are playing a few minutes per day, as intended by its creator.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Just a look at some of the more complete and widely distributed dictionaries in the game, I see that real world language names are used. So even when there was effort to spread awareness of other languages, there wasn't an effort to keep RL out of it. Like I said, I know there was an attempt to but it just didn't catch on.
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:02 am

I think its just a common form for communication.

USA residents say they speak "English" though large percentages of them will never step foot on the British Isles and when they did, they would find that "English" is not english because some of the attempts in conversation are comical on youtube and elsewhere. Both sides the pond write in fairly common terms (except the use of the letter U...color? or colour?), but on a phone when you can't read visual cues, it might be more difficult.

Even by national boundaries I think. Belgium has 3 official languages ( https://www.bing.com/search?q=official% ... =CT3210127) and none of those seem to be Belgianese.

In this game we communicate by the written word. Sometimes it is used to simulate spoken words and some players like to simulate chars who speak with accents or other speech impediments or characterizations. If we add another complication to it and not call a spade a spade, we take a little fun out in the name of realism when the only realism is what applies within the universe that Cantr exists. If we were looking for real...running radio's without electricity, cars without headlights, a world without night, etc.

Lets not give up fun in the name of 'realism' that isn't even real at all.
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
Estaar

Postby Estaar » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:52 am

Alladinsane wrote:Even by national boundaries I think. Belgium has 3 official languages ( https://www.bing.com/search?q=official% ... =CT3210127) and none of those seem to be Belgianese.
Indeed, neither is called Belgianese, since one of them is called French (from France), the other is called German (from Germany) and the last (or actually first, since spoken by the largest part of the Belgian population) is called Flemish from Fleming (the name for the people living in Flanders).

But I get the point of all those arguing for keeping it simple. And seeing that the use of rl language names is so widely spread IG, this discussion doesn't make a lot of sense anyways. Up to each single player to decide how they want to rp this, I hope.
Stranger in a strange land.
Neva

Postby Neva » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:25 am

That must have been done years ago inventing a new name in the game maybe at the first encounter with people speaking other languages. Only a dying language group managed to achieve this in game, unfortunately.
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:37 pm

Yeah, i've noticed English ppl can't do it right.
In PZ speakers of all foreign languages are called using an artificial name 'zamordki'. 'angielski' or 'polski' for language names are not really used. The only occurrences where I've used 'polish' as the name of people using polish was when foreigners called my character like that.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:54 am

I see angielski used quite a bit, actually.
sherman
Public Relations Chair/Translator-Finnish (PR)

Postby sherman » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:47 am

Yeah PZ seem to do it but for some reason it doesn't work in EZ. Maybe we just got too spread out or something..
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
-Erwin Rommel-

Return to “General Discussion”