Things that make you cringe in Cantr

General out-of-character discussion among players of Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Millhouse

Re: Things that make you cringe in Cantr

Postby Millhouse » Fri May 12, 2017 2:04 am

They say when someone types in ALL CAPS online, that they are shouting. What about the opposite? Is excessive failure to use capital letters considered whispering? Or mumbling maybe? Would it be appropriate to say to such characters that you can't hear or understand them?
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Sun May 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Millhouse wrote:They say when someone types in ALL CAPS online, that they are shouting. What about the opposite? Is excessive failure to use capital letters considered whispering? Or mumbling maybe? Would it be appropriate to say to such characters that you can't hear or understand them?

Mumbling, absolutely. Same with lack of punctuation. Typing styles are like 'accents', and some are hard to ignore.
curious

Postby curious » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:27 pm

Nesting role plays... all in one post.
XXX XXXX does this, then does that then does this again and this happens and then this is the result..!

I've seen this twice just in recent days and to be perfectly honest... it is just really bad form and makes for a 'heart-sink' character and at the risk of sounding really childish..? It just makes me think... do I really still want to play this game..? I really don't have the energy to respond to just the first action anymore and because it ends up in a stream of ((, ( or OOC: posts.
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:10 pm

curious wrote:Nesting role plays... all in one post.
XXX XXXX does this, then does that then does this again and this happens and then this is the result..!

I've seen this twice just in recent days and to be perfectly honest... it is just really bad form and makes for a 'heart-sink' character and at the risk of sounding really childish..? It just makes me think... do I really still want to play this game..? I really don't have the energy to respond to just the first action anymore and because it ends up in a stream of ((, ( or OOC: posts.

I have the feeling that you're probably talking about my characters. Oops. :oops: I tend to write entire paragraphs sometimes.
curious

Postby curious » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:02 pm

cutecuddlydirewolf wrote:
curious wrote:Nesting role plays... all in one post.

I have the feeling that you're probably talking about my characters. Oops. :oops: I tend to write entire paragraphs sometimes.

Well if I am, I apologise for making you feel like you need to single yourself out, but I don't consider long paragraphs problematic, to the contrary in fact, they are necessary for creativity and 'capturing' mood etc.

I am referring to a rather specific set of circumstances. For instance, If one of my chars wants to start say, a fight... he would begin by simply launching an attack and waiting to see if it lands and before assuming that it does, as does the next and the next and so forth.

This is my 'cringe' and it really does make me reluctant to view any characters who are exposed to it.

I do miss the rant thread... :mrgreen:
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:21 pm

*cringes then rants then cringes some more then goes on a long rant about cringing then cringes about that rant then rants about the cringing*
curious

Postby curious » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:30 pm

PaintedbyRoses wrote:*cringes then rants then cringes some more then goes on a long rant about cringing then cringes about that rant then rants about the cringing*

You need to be a Mod... then you can just delete all cringy rants about... what you just said...
PaintedbyRoses

Postby PaintedbyRoses » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:11 pm

I would never delete a cringe rant. I love to rant...about cringing or anything else. :D
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:16 pm

Oh, I see what you mean! If I write long paragraphs, I only write things about MY character. If it involves another character, I'll stop and wait for them to respond before I continue.

For example, let's say hypothetically coughcoughcough a character of mine was to throw water at another character. I'd RP my character walking up to theirs, wait for a response, and then RP throwing the water at them. :P
noturson

Postby noturson » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:17 pm

cutecuddlydirewolf wrote:For example, let's say hypothetically coughcoughcough a character of mine was to throw water at another character. I'd RP my character walking up to theirs, wait for a response, and then RP throwing the water at them. :P

CoughcoughHACKcough. Anyway! This might have been said already, but frequent OOC'ing or public OOC'ing makes me cringe. Hard.
curious

Postby curious » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:23 pm

To:
Three posts up... I would delete everyone's but my own...
Two up... hypothetically wondering who you are now... and...
One up... definitely and even more so when it's not relevant.
Yuna

Postby Yuna » Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:42 am

noturson wrote:
cutecuddlydirewolf wrote:For example, let's say hypothetically coughcoughcough a character of mine was to throw water at another character. I'd RP my character walking up to theirs, wait for a response, and then RP throwing the water at them. :P

CoughcoughHACKcough. Anyway! This might have been said already, but frequent OOC'ing or public OOC'ing makes me cringe. Hard.

Or waterballoons...
Marlin

Postby Marlin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:31 pm

Comment revoked.

This thread feels like bullying.
Last edited by Marlin on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neva

Postby Neva » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:22 pm

Unelaborated naive characters, who are too naive to see some obvious facts but sharp enough to figure out complex ones.
cutecuddlydirewolf

Postby cutecuddlydirewolf » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Neva wrote:Unelaborated naive characters, who are too naive to see some obvious facts but sharp enough to figure out complex ones.

This is probably just me, but I'm pretty sick of "childlike" characters that are portrayed as being cute and endearing. Realistically, an adult acting like a child wouldn't be cute, it would be very off-putting.

Return to “General Discussion”