Carrier Pigeons

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Ahrta

Re: Carrier Pigeons

Postby Ahrta » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:18 am

Ravens and crows, owls would be lovely!

Barred owl
Eagle owl
Barn owl
Elf owl
Snowy owl
Spotted owl

I can keep going if you need more
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:33 pm

Nice suggestions!

Also, pardon off-topic, but I just want to note that this project was never intended to replace radio networks. It's serendipitous that it's nearing implementation at this time.
Ahrta

Postby Ahrta » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:53 am

Obviously homing pigeons.....

But there are also..

Fantail pigeons
Helmet pigeons
Band-tailed pigeons
Capuchine
Tumbler
High-flyer
Trumpeter

There are more.... but those were off the top of my head
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:22 am

Well how about that. I assumed a homing pigeon was just a pigeon that was trained, but it's actually a breed (a selectively bred breed, but that's equally a breed).

From Wikipedia:
The homing pigeon is a variety of domestic pigeon derived from the rock pigeon, selectively bred for its ability to find its way home over extremely long distances
Ahrta

Postby Ahrta » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:42 am

MattWithoos wrote:Well how about that. I assumed a homing pigeon was just a pigeon that was trained, but it's actually a breed (a selectively bred breed, but that's equally a breed).

From Wikipedia:
The homing pigeon is a variety of domestic pigeon derived from the rock pigeon, selectively bred for its ability to find its way home over extremely long distances

yep!
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:21 pm

Hope I don't sound like I'm bugging but I'm just curious if this is going forward still or if it's stalled. I have some characters that would be ready to jump on the pigeon train pretty much right away depending on how it's implemented.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Mon May 08, 2017 11:29 am

:|
Rmak

Postby Rmak » Mon May 08, 2017 9:04 pm

Hopefully it does not take three years to implement
Quote Wolfsong:
They aren't playing children; they are playing mentally ill people.

:twisted: :roll: :lol: 8) :twisted:
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Mon May 08, 2017 11:31 pm

As far as I understand, GreeK has completed it 99%, it's just with RD to finetune the little details to ensure it's balanced and will work for the longterm. I'm not a spokesperson for RD or ProgD but just relaying what I've already read here before.
Arval

Postby Arval » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:42 am

Hi, so... More than a month has passed. I'm wondering if there are any news about this?
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Greek wrote:I see you lurking :P

So the question on so many minds.... Are we still getting carrier pigeons?
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:08 pm

Seeing how there's a 115 topics in the accepted suggestions forum... I wouldn't hold my breath until it's done, that's for sure :lol:
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:02 pm

Accepted doesn't mean inevitable, it just means somebody at some time wanted to work on it and there were no obvious problems with it.

Pigeons are one of these projects. A lot of work has already been done to enable them, but final implementation requires a coordinated effort between ProgD, who are burdened with other priorities, and RD. It would be unrealistic to give a prediction, but you may have noticed some new bird species appearing throughout the game over the past few months. We haven't forgotten it.

Can we please, however, keep comments in Suggestions forums more contentful and constructive, per forum rules.
Millhouse

Postby Millhouse » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:23 pm

Question about this suggestion, would the dovecote be a type of storage or a building/room itself?
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:21 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Right now I have no idea what will come as a final solution. There are no technical limitations to have one or the other, but, based on the discussions it's most likely going to be a storage.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’

Return to “Likely Suggestions”