9%
Undecided
3%

Total votes: 102
Marian

Re: Opting out of attracting spawns

Postby Marian » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:19 pm

Greek wrote:Bump.
My suggestion to make it more smooth is, instead of a sharp one week bound, to gradually reduce character's attraction potential after a week of not logging in, to reach 0 after two weeks. A person not even checked for two weeks can be considered as not played at all and their ability to make a newspawn interested in is zero as well.

I really like the basic idea, and this is one of the best suggestions I've seen for how to handle it. A little sad my small town won't be able to use the strategy of collecting sleepers from the surrounding area, but it's better for everyone that characters spawn in places with other active characters.

I know you really can't go by polls here but it looks like plenty of people are in favor of the automatic system, they just voted for both instead of voting for it by itself.

Currently, characters (usually townleaders) are often feeding the sleepers in the location because the players know it's used in spawning algorithm. So even player of a cruel and selfish character needs to decide whether they should act OOC by feeding sleepers or be disadvantaged in comparison to other towns.

One town in particular comes to mind that fits this example exactly. There's something like forty people, most of them sleepers, and they're fed in a very calculated way to attract more newspawns, no one even pretending it's out of compassion. I'll see a new one pop up every day, sometimes even two, and they quickly fall asleep out of a lack of interest and options and join the horde to help attract even more.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:56 pm

Am I the only one who enjoys spawning in swamps, mountains, etc.? My favorite characters spawn away from big towns, and big population centers usually have the opposite effect: there are too many people, so my characters there just end up inactive. I like the difficulty factor of having to survive in a true Cantr survival situation. Even better if travelers spawn your character and leave afterwards.
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:03 pm

Wolfsong wrote:Am I the only one who enjoys spawning in swamps, mountains, etc.?
No.
Wolfsong wrote:My favorite characters spawn away from big towns, and big population centers usually have the opposite effect: there are too many people, so my characters there just end up inactive. I like the difficulty factor of having to survive in a true Cantr survival situation. Even better if travelers spawn your character and leave afterwards.
Yes.

I'm in favor of this idea because of the sort of situations Marian pointed out, and because I don't want to spawn characters in some of the nearly unoccupied places I'm actually enjoying (unless there were some way to attract only the characters who don't like city life, which there isn't and probably won't be). Also, turning up in a foreign busy town thanks to travelers doesn't sound fun except for to a few people maybe, so I'd turn it off out of courtesy when traveling in busy places outside of the English zone.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:25 pm

In the past I had a character spawn in a swamp as travelers passed through, and left him behind - it was an absolute blast to struggle to survive and scrape together enough to get somewhere safer. I've had the same thing happen on Fu and really enjoyed it. I even am really enjoying the English character I have who spawned in a Polish town very, very far from English places. At the same time, I wouldn't mind more company for those characters - it makes sense for them to crave companionship to a degree after their origins. I would hate it if the only spawns left were big towns and there was no longer the option of spawning accidentally during a pirate raid or a satanic ritual or whatever. Sure, I could protect my super secret pirate hoard or whatever, but turning off spawns limits fun. I've seen more new characters get bored in large active towns than small ones - in a group of 2 or 3, they have an identity and purpose. In big active places, they are faceless peon #24, and that lack of purpose is what drives them away, not sleepers.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:30 pm

Wolfsong wrote:I would hate it if the only spawns left were big towns

Then Greek's proposal should be perfect, right? It'll severely hit the larger towns, while favouring the smaller communities (since those tend to have a higher percentage of active characters). Large towns will get a weaker spawn chance because inactive characters will no longer count.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:41 pm

You'd still lose out on traveling spawns, though, and eventually mid-sized active communities would become large ones.
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:50 pm

Wolfsong wrote:You'd still lose out on traveling spawns, though, and eventually mid-sized active communities would become large ones.

So you're just in favor of the automatic switch, then. Travelers are active so they still get spawns, sleepers are inactive so they don't.

It's a shame we have to either favor those that want to spawn in the wilderness or those that don't. There really should be an option whether to spawn in the wilderness or around characters.
Mark Twain wrote:Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't.
Kyriel

Postby Kyriel » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:04 pm

If you want to live somewhere there aren't any other people, it's always possible to just walk away.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:07 pm

I don't want to play a complete loner - I just like the story of Cantrian wolf children. It's cooler than saying you spawned in a nice place and left for Some Reason. It gives your character personality and focus.
Kyriel

Postby Kyriel » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:43 pm

I think an option to spawn in a place where there aren't any people is a separate issue, though.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:57 am

I'm not asking for that either, if you read my posts. What comp. artist said is accurate. Yes to automatic spawn changes, no to manual spawn rates.
prometheus

Postby prometheus » Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:41 pm

I don't know, I like the ability to choose, and to change my mind.
I have a couple of characters who actively -don't want- spawns right now, and are praying to their Cantr gods none show up that they have to be responsible for. Plus, to the wilderness ideal: say you are two lovers out in an abandoned town together, creating your tiny private utopia. How terrible it is if a newspawn arrives in the middle of their private bliss! Sure, they can kick them out, but if they're both "kind type" characters, the spawner has just as much right to the town as them.
But say no spawn has shown up, and some time has passed, and the lovers have enough food and tools stocked away that they feel confident they could take care of a newspawn. So they 'open themselves up to the possibility' and boom! Maybe it takes a long time, but they get a newspawn! Maybe the spawn doesn't want to stay, and is rude or crazy. That's alright; they were ready. Say the spawner wanted to stay, and they formed a strong bond with the couple, which was eventually the base for a thriving community! Or maybe it just becomes a small, happy village.
I think it opens up more possibilities, especially since, okay yeah, maybe we have two or three people in our two, but we're struggling to feed -ourselves-, we can't support a newspawn.
Just my two cents, anyway. Yes to both, IMHO.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:41 pm

Not having the choice to determine when a spawn occurs is great roleplay and conflict material, though. That's the point.
prometheus

Postby prometheus » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:41 pm

Not everyone wants conflict in every character?
computaertist

Postby computaertist » Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:54 pm

prometheus wrote:Not everyone wants conflict in every character?

True.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”