Skateboard as pickable object

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Do you wish pickup skateboard

Yes
77%
No
14%
I have no opinion
9%

Total votes: 44
Yang

Skateboard as pickable object

Postby Yang » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Skateboard should be also a object. Just like portable machines, that would be portable vehicle, that you can pick up to your inventory and drop in other place, where you wish to use it. This when when you will be skating and meet bad road, then you can pick up, walk on foot and drop when better road begins. Also even on small boat you could travel with skateboard and drop it when you cross sea or lake.
This would make this vehicle more useful and semi-solution for time until taking other vehicles on ship will be possible. I think there shouldn't be a big problem with programming this.
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Re: Skateboard as pickable object

Postby Bmot » Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:28 pm

As I said before, already: I like :)
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:17 am

I don't really care a lot... I can appreciate some passive aggression here and there option #3 it is.

Next time make a normal 'I don't mind either' option, please.
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:27 am

I wonder how hard this would be to implement. Would it be hard to code a vehicle that can be both carried and ridden?
Yang

Postby Yang » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:15 pm

I think it would be similar to change project in to vehicle, or disassembling machine. It would be just a instant effect and activated by button. But on the other hand vehicles cant be disassembled, so maybe its not possible this way, and skateboard need be keep as vehicle even when picked up. But idont know how game is programmed nor do i know about programming enough.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:19 pm

I like it!
Read about my characters by following this link.
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:38 am

Yang wrote:I think it would be similar to change project in to vehicle, or disassembling machine. It would be just a instant effect and activated by button. But on the other hand vehicles cant be disassembled, so maybe its not possible this way, and skateboard need be keep as vehicle even when picked up. But idont know how game is programmed nor do i know about programming enough.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with the code in Cantr so I can't really say. It would be nice if it could be implemented though. It's certainly a logical suggestion and I'm not sure how much they weight but I imagine a skateboard wouldn't be too hard to carry.
Yang

Postby Yang » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:34 pm

All resources used to produce it weight 400 grams, so it would be the weight of skateboard. With other things rule is the same.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:47 pm

With this logic you should also be able to pick up your tandem bike (2.350 grams), Road motorcycle with sidecar (3.910 grams) or jeep (14.420 grams) on your shoulder and walk about.

I voted no.

(Someone had stolen the engine from the jeep btw. ;) )
Yang

Postby Yang » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Other vehicles are way bigger then skateboard, so you just cant put it in to your inventory. Skateboard is smaller then some weapons, so why not? And maybe it could be usable, as it dont give much benefits and require a very good road to be used. If you meet bad roads what you can do? Just leave it? And Skateboard coudnt be protected by lock, only by picking it up.
Voltenion

Postby Voltenion » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:14 pm

EchoMan wrote:With this logic you should also be able to pick up your tandem bike (2.350 grams), Road motorcycle with sidecar (3.910 grams) or jeep (14.420 grams) on your shoulder and walk about.

I voted no.

(Someone had stolen the engine from the jeep btw. ;) )

You misunderstood him, I think ( or I misunderstood you). He didn't say skateboard should be pickable because it's 400 grams he said, skateboard should be pickable because [insert whole thread here] and it should weight 400 grams.

I voted yes, I think I should be able to pick up a skateboard and it doesn't clog the vehicles page.
"Delete Fu Island" activist.
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:17 pm

EchoMan wrote:With this logic you should also be able to pick up your tandem bike (2.350 grams), Road motorcycle with sidecar (3.910 grams) or jeep (14.420 grams) on your shoulder and walk about.

I voted no.

(Someone had stolen the engine from the jeep btw. )

This would also open the possibility to put vehicles on ships, which I -do- like :)
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:20 pm

I would like to point out the passive-aggression in the third voting option again... Please change that, pretty sure it's against the rules.
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:22 am

I think the point of this is that skateboards can and are commonly carried in real life. Nobody carries around their motorcycle unless it's a huge body builder on PCP, but any skinny twelve year old can carry his skateboard.
Marian

Postby Marian » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:02 pm

I didn't even know we had skateboards! :lol:

Is there any way an object could give you a boost to speed? You wouldn't need to treat it like a vehicle at all, a person would either be carrying it, using it, or have it sitting in their house or vehicle somewhere, just like RL. Walking sticks could finally be used to help you walk too, if that were the case.

Also once you make it possible to put a vehicle on another vehicle you open a whole can of worms like 'why can't I transport my tandem bike on my longboat' or 'why can't I go city to city selling bicycles out the back of my car' and I'm not sure if whoever's in charge of that stuff wants to go there. :wink:

Return to “Likely Suggestions”