Melting down old keys

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

joshua johnson

Melting down old keys

Postby joshua johnson » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:56 pm

How about it.....old keys from broken locks....or that you don't have any idea what they are to, if you could throw them back in a smelter or something....it's only good for the environment to recycle you know. :lol:
I think, therefore I think I am, I think
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:32 pm

Good Idea...but.....I would rather see a way to get rid of old notes first!

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
Nick

Postby Nick » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:46 pm

Sunni Daez wrote:Good Idea...but.....I would rather see a way to get rid of old notes first!

I don't think that will ever happen.
cantrlady

Postby cantrlady » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:03 pm

I love finding old notes - would hate to see those go away.
Just A Bill

Postby Just A Bill » Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:06 pm

Perhaps you would need a fire created from old notes to melt the keys...
Agar

Postby Agar » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:28 am

How would you be able to tell the lock didn't exist any more?

If you could, what would that tell you?

See, you walk into a town full of dead people and there's a pile of keys. You go over to a smelter and fire it up, and try to melt the key. So, if the lock still exists, the key still has a use, and if you melt all the keys to an open lock, there's currently nothing you can do with that door that is now permanently jammed open, so you shouldn't be able to melt down at least the LAST key to a lock. But now that you can tell that the lock still exists, isn't that a bit of OOC info ...?

Good idea, but not sure if it's a right idea ...
Reality was never my strong point.
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:43 am

Agar wrote:...and if you melt all the keys to an open lock, there's currently nothing you can do with that door that is now permanently jammed open, so you shouldn't be able to melt down at least the LAST key to a lock.

No longer valid. You can break an open lock with a screwdriver, if you're inside the building (I think it is a noisy action, so even people outside see, but I'm not certain). And of course a closed lock can be cracked with a crowbar as always.
"If I can be a good crackhead, I can be a good Christian"

-A subway preacher
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:14 am

I say we just be able to melt down any keys then. It's a great idea, because unlike notes that you can just cram in an envelope to remove the clutter, a key isn't going anywhere, and you can't make a new lock to fit the key, right? And since the keys don't deacy, you can't just let them rot away. (AND I DON"T WANT TO REPAIR KEYS! Before we start to think about just giving them decay rates. :wink: )

So break 'em down and use the iron to file down a new key. For the replacement lock. It will also lead to some obnoxious melting of stolen keys to force breaking locks. :twisted: It should require a mchine to do it though, probably the smelting furnace with a small amount of "cheap" fuel.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
nateflory

Postby nateflory » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:36 pm

I agree, or... at least one of my characters does who is in possession of a few keys that I know do not have a lock anymore. (it was broken)

But my suggestion would be to create a project similar to constructing a "Stone Axe" which uses both resources and items.

Add the old Key, 25g Iron, and have a Screwdriver or File in your hand to make a "Key Blank". Blank keys could be a required item to make a copied key, as a short project (like the cooking stone construction)

A regular Key Blank could be made with the usual 200g iron and a screwdriver. Would be a seperate method of creating useful keys, and dispose of older keys at the same time.

Also as mentioned, if you use a "good" key to create a key blank...well, then you'd just have to find your nearest crowbar to get inside the building if you didn't keep accurate records.
...to use a real-life situation, I imagine if I have a whole ring of keys, and just greab one to file down (creating a blank), I should make double-sure it's the right key first.
---------------------------------
"Nature may reach the same result in many ways." - Nikola Tesla
"Dare to be naïve". - "Unity is plural and, at minimum, is two." - Bucky Fuller
Just A Bill

Postby Just A Bill » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:36 am

How about allowing you to make a new lock that fits the existing key. Not only would this give a use for old keys, but you could make one key for several areas, kind of a master key for all of your rooms, thay way you could also avoid having tonns of keys around, just one for all your locks.
SCUBA

Postby SCUBA » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:26 am

I like both the idea of smelting old keys with fuel in smelting furnace and the idea of new lock to old keys. But not the idea of blank keys.

Take the smelting of old ones first. Its most easy.

And, its not any use to start the smelting furnace for just one key.

Project smelt old key:
machine smelting furnace.
Need 2 keys and 60 coal or 120 charcoal or 10 propane
outcome 15 gram iron
time 2 hours
/SCUBA

-------------------------------------------------------

<Nick> I have enjoyed some of your forum posts which is rare.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:48 am

Easy to implement, maybe, but with potential problems if implemented before project cancelation...
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:01 am

ProgD can correct me if I am guessing wrong here, but I think the technical issue that is keeping RD from being able to implement melting keys will prevent the addition of this key blank idea too.

If a key is recognized as a key (rather than key #999999) then we can go ahead with adding meltdown, no problem, we're all happy and about 100 metric tons of iron is released into the collective Cantr economy again.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Racetyme

Postby Racetyme » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:03 am

I like this a lot, it is your own damn fault in game if you destroy the last key to a lock, and would allow us to keep more iron in circulation, and I think we can all agree that more iron is a good thing.
RAM DISK is not an installation procedure!
AngelSpice

Postby AngelSpice » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:04 am

wichita wrote:If a key is recognized as a key (rather than key #999999) then we can go ahead with adding meltdown, no problem, we're all happy and about 100 metric tons of iron is released into the collective Cantr economy again.

That would be a nice stat to see in the webzine. How many grams of iron is in keys throughout all of cantr.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”