Working title: Otherworld

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

SekoETC

Re: Working title: Otherworld

Postby SekoETC » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:34 am

I updated the local map visuals. This is still a prototype and the graphics might be changed later on.

The hovering infobox has details about the highlighted square. Clicking on a square moves you to it automatically, so you don't have to click on a separate button.
Not-so-sad panda
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:36 am

SekoETC wrote:
The hovering infobox has details about the highlighted square. Clicking on a square moves you to it automatically, so you don't have to click on a separate button.

This is one of the problems of designing for desktop and then reconciled with mobile devices: if no mouse exist on mobile devices, you can not have hovering infoboxes to see the adjacents terrains previous info just passing the cursor over as it happens if desktop.
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:56 am

Well, kinda. You can simply have the infobox appear if you tap on the box on mobile.

Additionally, if clicking the box on desktop moves you there, then you can have that appear as a button inside the infobox if on mobile.

Out-of-the-box, tapping on any website on mobile that has a hover effect like that will usually display the hover. I believe the :hover CSS in mobile is interpreted as a tap, at least for iOS.
pulkownikarnold

Postby pulkownikarnold » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:51 am

HFrance wrote:

This is one of the problems of designing for desktop and then reconciled with mobile devices: if no mouse exist on mobile devices, you can not have hovering infoboxes to see the adjacents terrains previous info just passing the cursor over as it happens if desktop.

More like a poor programming/design. Can we stop blaming mobile devices? There are +99999 ways around it.

I believe the :hover CSS in mobile is interpreted as a tap, at least for iOS.

It works the same as :focus on desktop.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:30 am

If you're such a great programmer, how would you do it without hover? My original system had the altitude expressed by color but the differences were so small that people could hardly detect them, and people with bad vision like my mother couldn't see a difference until it was pointed out to them. It would still be possible to dynamically alter the color of the square, either by making it more red or by making it lighter or darker, but people would have to know what it means in order to interpret it. Another option would be to print a number in each square, but if it was the same number for a lot of squares, it would look very repetitive.
Not-so-sad panda
KVZ
Players Dept. Member

Postby KVZ » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:48 am

Hm, it looks interesting.
Corruption born inside. I'm part of dark side / A.F.K. / We'll steal your dreams and control your minds
https://twitter.com/DukeKVZ / http://www.futurerp.net/pages/link.php?id=24880
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:07 pm

Most recent updates include the objects page, dropping, pick up and eating. It's also possible to swallow small amounts of inedible resources like gold and gems. In the future it will be possible to swallow small items such as needles and rings. On the background there are functions that calculate how many objects are in a part of a pile that is being removed, within the allowed fluctuation of piece size, which is individual to each stackable resource. So it's impossible to pick up say, half an apple. Currently minerals are like in Cantr, that you can separate amounts as small as a gram, but in the future they will have a block size.

Not-so-sad panda
Hommer

Postby Hommer » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:30 pm

:x this seems really interesting is it mobile friendly
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

5211-1.20: You skillfully kill a hawk using a brand new screwdriver.
Hommer

Postby Hommer » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:32 am

Is this game plublished?
(\__/)

SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:27 am

No. It's going to take months to finish it, especially if I have to do everything on my own.
Not-so-sad panda
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:14 pm

Is anybody interested in contributing in some way? It's not necessary to know how to program, I could also use an equivalent of RD. Recently I've been researching different types of wood, and I have most of the information that's needed on that sector. Another things that could be researched is ancient cooking methods, curing hides, making ropes, and dye methods. I have done some googling on all of these but usually I just bookmark pages instead of writing things down.
Not-so-sad panda
destinysWalrus

Postby destinysWalrus » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:38 pm

I would be all kinds of interested in helping out. I could help program - though I've not used php or mysqli before, I've used enough programming languages that I could probably pick it up rather quickly. Doing research is also something I could do, especially since the whole thing sounds really interesting.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:47 pm

Update: There's now a build menu. I haven't yet written the page that starts a project, but you can open and close the categories and click on items to see the build requirements. I used AciTree. The first day I hardly even tried to do anything because I figured it wouldn't work anyway, but then I slept overnight and suddenly it wasn't as complicated as yesterday. I guess my brain needed some sleep to organize my thoughts. There's currently 190 items that can be manufactured, but some of the build requirements have flaws, like I forgot to add trowels to anything that uses trowels, and there was at least one project that had the resources entered twice, and another one that had no resources at all. But going through 190 entries is going to take a while.
Not-so-sad panda
Hommer

Postby Hommer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:37 pm

I dont know much about programming so what do you need done im a good beta tester but can figure out how to do others.
(\__/)

SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:48 am

I'll let you know when it's ready for first stage testing. There is a road map so I know which features need to be finished before which test.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Non-Forum Games”