Working title: Otherworld

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

pulkownikarnold

Re: Working title: Otherworld

Postby pulkownikarnold » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:03 pm

So... any updates? Is this project dead or what?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:37 pm

If I stop working on it for two weeks, it doesn't mean that it's dead. If you don't have better things to say then do me a favor and don't post here. I am on vacation and I have told anybody who actually cares about the project that I wouldn't be working on it until I return to Finland. Besides, I've been writing related stuff on paper, I just don't do any programming while I'm out of country.

The things I should work on next is a resource system where resources have values (strings) like wood, stone-lithic, stone-polishable, cuttable-knife etc. and these will define which resources can be used for which project. Which requires rewriting the requirements for the existing manufacturing projects and merging certain items, like flint/chert/basalt/obsidian knife into just stone knife. But the resource used will be viewable when you examine the object, and in the future it will also affect durability. Currently all items last forever but there will be deterioration in the final version.
Not-so-sad panda
pulkownikarnold

Postby pulkownikarnold » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:31 pm

SekoETC wrote:If I stop working on it for two weeks, it doesn't mean that it's dead.

Yep. It means you are working on it when you feel motivated, and that's just one step before boredom. That's how reveri.es... wait, basically every project here, ended.
You are working on it since July, asuming you have intermediate PHP/SQL/JS knowledge and you're working 1 day per week, that's enough time to make at least a beta version and invite people to it.

SekoETC wrote:If you don't have better things to say

Sorry for not praising something that I haven't seen yet.
Perhaps I shouldn't care, I'l do you a favor and just stop here.
MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:16 pm

It was the Christmas / New Year period. Not even I worked, not even on hobby projects, Cantr, my side business or my day job.

Also, for what it's worth, Seko's game is the most promising I've seen out of all of the games posted in the 11 years I've been part of the Cantr community. I know a lot of games fail on here, and I was (like you) cynical about that. However, I am not cynical at all with Seko's, and that should speak volumes.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:54 pm

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by beta. If beta means having all the features that are going to be in the final game, there's no way I could whip that up in a short time just by working 1 day a week. If you mean a model that has stand-ins for every feature, I don't see a point in barfing up a half-assed version where nothing reflects how things are supposed to be when they are finished. I've hidden all the links that lead to unimplemented features so that people can immediately see what is possible and what is not.

http://ogreworld.com/index.php?page=status

Link above is the list that shows what has been done and what is needed for each stage. Originally I wasn't even going to take testers before the farming system was implemented because that's one of the key points of the game, but people kept pushing me, so I have created accounts for multiple people and they generally test every feature there is in a matter of days and have no reason to "play" after that, because it's not a finished game. The meaning of testing is to find bugs and report them, not to have the same experience one would have in a finished game.
Not-so-sad panda
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:52 am

I started working on the new resource system and it took me only about two days to complete, if I remember correctly. At first I wasn't going to release it yet, but my computer started doing this thing that it goes to sleep very soon after I leave it alone, even though my power saving options say 30 minutes, so in case it's dying, I saw better to upload the code so I won't lose it if this crashes.

What you can currently do is produce some chopped/diced/sliced vegetables and make salad out of zucchini and ancestral tomatoes. The salad is a test item so it's not edible yet. I picked those ingredients because they were most readily available to my test character without traveling. Also the way items are made has been changed behind the scenes. As a result, a lot of manufacturing projects have been turned off. If you have references to these projects on your activities page, it will cause an error. I might end up wiping all existing projects if this becomes an issue. Also in the future, certain item types will be merged, such as flint/chert/basalt knife into stone knife. In the future it will be possible to see what it's made of, but I'm not that far yet. The chopped/diced/sliced options are near the bottom of the list for stone knife. Currently you can make all the old recipes out of thin air, but I don't recommend that, because they serve no function, and some of them are going to get deimplemented. All the chopped stuff is replaced by one resource called chopped, and it includes the name of the ingredient in the title once it has been finished. Same goes for diced and sliced.

I'm not yet a hundred percent sure how I should approach projects that require an ongoing fire as well as labor. The current system only supports automated change projects, where you put the thing you want to change inside the fire pit and it changes after enough time and heat has been applied. Obviously it's going to get more tricky if you have to place say, iron ore, coal and limestone inside a bloomery and somehow have the system merge them into iron. That sounds complicated. What if there's an incompatible resource in the mix? Will it burn or prevent the reaction? Currently there is nothing that supports change projects with more than one input resource or object.
Not-so-sad panda
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:39 pm

Most newly generated and some old stone items now show what they're made of. In the old system stone items were already named by the type of stone but wood items weren't.
Not-so-sad panda
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:20 pm

I checked which resources have been discovered (and gathered) by testers so far.

Code: Select all

acai berry   13697
allspice berries   200
ancestral tomatoes   25787
apricots   4319
avocados   1000
bamboo   2979
bamboo shoots   3283
basalt   9220
bell peppers   2760
blood   12891
camphor   50
camphor wood   500
cashew nuts   788
cashew wood   300330
cassiterite   4000
chert   188664
chilies   100
citrons   3950
citrus wood   4233
clay   132543
coal   101871
cocoa pods   1377
diamond sand   96
diamonds   132
ferns   1633
flint   54117
fresh water   40000
gneiss   34400
gold   634
granite   1715885
grass clippings   28748
gypsum   15000
intestines   11116
junkwood   102904
kitchen waste   640
limestone   1229607
lotus   934
lotus seeds   862
lychees   1000
magnetite   165000
mahogany   16622
malachite   600
mandarin oranges   3000
marble   2200
mushrooms   1869
nephrite   200
nickel   1985
offal   15563
peeled rambutans   140
pine   39
pine needles   3644
rambutan wood   745
rambutans   2800
resource-345   1380
resource-347   200
resource-382   790
resource-422   6000
resource-434   400
rhyolite   20000
roasted cocoa beans   220
salad   200
salt   2795
sand   54000
sapphires   686
shale   42026
shavings   21098
shrubs   735429
silk cocoons   651
silver ore   1063
sinew   160
soft planks   200000
soil   10000
stone dust   3130
stone flakes   1115
thin citrus branches   620
thistles   600
wild cotton   23021
wild pears   9600
wild pumpkins   5500
wild strawberries   555
wild wheat   15773
zucchinis   126631

The "resource-#" ones are obsolete and will be converted. In today's news, it's now possible to pit apricots under the new system.
Not-so-sad panda
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:41 pm

I updated some of the map graphics. Also technically fire projects work as a requirement for manufacturing now, so you can't make progress on a project that requires a fire pit or another fire container without there being an actual fire in it. If you invest more AP than the time needed for the fire to run out, you lose the excess AP, so if you're not sure how long your fire is going to last, I recommend dividing the work into smaller bits. Currently the only way to use metals is to first make a bamboo blowpipe, then you can make things in the copper section with gold, assuming you have the necessary tools. I made a dustpan as a test. I'm not sure yet what else is possible.

Not-so-sad panda
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:50 pm

Today I added seasons and time of day (dawn/daylight/dusk/darkness). Season depends on latitude while timezone depends on longitude. Also the length of a day depends on month and latitude. Currently dawn and dusk last one hour regardless of latitude and start on minute 0 of the hour they're associated with. I might eventually change it but I figured there's no point in over-complicating it.

I've been working on a new world map but I had to move one of the continents because otherwise logically the northern part should've been desert and that didn't fit my mental image of it, so I moved it southwards to avoid that. I've also been watching videos on what defines weather.
Not-so-sad panda
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:49 pm

There are now temperatures that change based on month, time of day, latitude and terrain type. It's mostly untested, so unexpected results can occur. Currently temperature has no effect on characters but it will play a large role in the finished version.
Not-so-sad panda
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:03 pm

WOW! Just WOW!.
Many nice additions to the game! Does the temperature affect the graphics? I mean, do we have snow? :oops:
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:54 pm

It doesn't yet, but that's a very good idea. The test region is inside the tropical and temperate zones, so the temperature never drops below 13 Celsius if I remember correctly. However, once the cold region is unlocked, it's a very good idea to change the appearance when there's snow. I'll add that to the to-do list, but it will be pretty far down.

What you can expect soon is rain. I just need to figure out how I want to do it, and should it put fires out. Just because something is called a rain forest doesn't mean it should rain every day, because that would be pretty annoying. Also the canopy can be so thick that the water doesn't necessarily fall straight to the ground. Some things to consider.
Not-so-sad panda
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:00 pm

Now there is rain but it doesn't currently affect anything.

Also it is possible to process skins into rawhide. However, don't get yourself killed while hunting because healing still isn't implemented.

Edit: I haven't yet decided how to do ranged weapons, even though it's possible to manufacture some bows. They should use arrows and it shouldn't be possible to attack something that's right next to you with a long range weapon, so it should maybe be possible to attack animals that are in another square, and also the distance of combatants should be kept track of somehow.
Not-so-sad panda
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:57 pm

I'm currently working on this generator for random fruits and such. It will allow people to discover local specialties without me having to manually design and plant every one of them. Some of them will taste bad or be difficult to peel, so they might not be worth cultivating, but the promising ones can be selected for crossbreeding with hopes of generating fruit that actually tastes good and has other good qualities. I'm possibly considering to let the finders name the plants themselves, but if people were to use obscenities and stuff, then I might have to use automatically generated names instead.

Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Non-Forum Games”