Chronicals of Elyria

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Cronester

Chronicals of Elyria

Postby Cronester » Sun May 08, 2016 7:09 pm

Hello people,

As you probably know I have been looking for other games that have some kind of likelyness to Cantr. I might have found something. It's MMORPG, survival, but not a text based game. As I read it, it reminds me of cantr.net with a bit more fixed story and/or mechanics.

At this very moment there is no game yet, they just started the kickstarter. The game is already in development and the real basics are there. But the current release date is estimated somewhere around december 2017... yes 2017.

https://www.chroniclesofelyria.com If you happen to register on the forum, send me some love by using this code: 3F1642

Maybe we will meet out there!

Greets,
Cronester
Wolfsong

Re: Chronicals of Elyria

Postby Wolfsong » Sun May 08, 2016 10:26 pm

I've had my eye on this game for all the wrong reasons. First, it basically promises everything that vaporware MMORPG Dawn did in the early 2000s... Which would be amazing, if not for the fact that it sounds a little too good to be true. And their team of 10+ only has two programmers to do all of this. I dunno. If it works, amazing... But I get the feeling they've bitten off more than they can chew. That and some of their fundamental design choices seem flawed. In theory it's great, but reality is very different.
returner

Postby returner » Mon May 09, 2016 3:38 am

December 2017 is pretty reasonable for an indie team. Not even accounting for the fact that it's an MMORPG. Many studios take as long to develop games.

It's made even better by the fact that there'll certainly be an alpha and a beta before the RC (release candidate).

But yes, as Wolfsong said, too aspirational for a team of 2 programmers.
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
Cronester

Postby Cronester » Thu May 12, 2016 9:29 pm

It seems they agree with you on it being too much. They have been cutting certain aspects of the game, a lot depends on the outcome of the current kickstarter

Yes in theory this could be an awesome game. What the reality brings has to be seen. But not giving it a chance would be a certain no.
returner

Postby returner » Fri May 13, 2016 4:09 am

Unfortunately MMOs have had their day. There really aren't any successful MMORPGs anymore. People always point to this or that, but all MMORPGs so far have pretty much died off. There are like 2 to 4 that are able to be both sustainable and also have a good playerbase. That's really concerning. An entire genre only having 4 good options? There are thousands of great options under every other category. I could name hundreds of fantastic games in every genre - RTS, RPG, FPS, Strategy, etc...

That's very concerning. It's why I don't even consider MMORPG to be a genre worth playing anymore - not just because of the failures, but also because I haven't found a good MMORPG yet. They all focus on slow grinding, slow rewards (that get slower), keeping you addicted... It's not fun. Addicting? Sure. Fun? No.
rd1988
Location: Piękne miasto smogu, korków, dziurawych ulic i kiboli.

Postby rd1988 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:58 am

returner wrote:Unfortunately MMOs have had their day. There really aren't any successful MMORPGs anymore. all MMORPGs so far have pretty much died off. There are like 2 to 4 that are able to be both sustainable and also have a good playerbase.

What?

MMORPGs are one of the most popular genres.
WildStar, Eve online, Skyforge, Blade and Soul, Aion, Neverwinter, Rift... they are both sustainable and with a very good player base. I can count all day.
:twisted:
returner

Postby returner » Fri May 13, 2016 2:46 pm

It's in a constant downward trend. Overall there isn't a growing population of MMO players.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/12/10/massi ... -for-2016/

First link when I Google MMO populations.

Generally the industry considers it a dying genre, but there may always be a renaissance.

Interesting, never even heard of Skyforge and Blade and soul.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sat May 14, 2016 1:52 am

EVE Online persists because it has a lot of player freedom. Does anyone even quest on EVE except to unlock faction ships?
returner

Postby returner » Sat May 14, 2016 4:05 am

I never did, but apparently the non-quest PVE encounters are really meaty and worthwhile at a high level / end-game level.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sat May 14, 2016 4:10 am

Wormholes?
returner

Postby returner » Sat May 14, 2016 4:35 am

Yeah that was it! Do you still play? I haven't played in a year or two now. Played in the early days and off-and-on since.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sat May 14, 2016 5:55 am

Not recently, though I did play for awhile a couple years ago.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat May 14, 2016 8:05 am

I remember when Dawn was first introduced and I signed up as a beta tester. It never went beta but it sounded like such a cool idea. It has pretty much everything one could want from a game. They had a video at one point and I found it awesome that you could actually hear the smith clinking at metal in his shop. That was an amazing level of detail.
Not-so-sad panda
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sat May 14, 2016 12:12 pm

Haha, I didn't think anybody remembered Dawn. Racewar kingdoms or something, right?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat May 14, 2016 1:36 pm

Yeah, I was playing Racewar Kingdoms shortly before I joined Cantr. I played a dark elf there because I thought they were the coolest race ever (Drizzt Do'urden anyone?) I learned to chatroom rp in RWK. Then I moved to Finnish rp chatrooms because I wasn't very good at English yet, so I was too shy to use it to play. The annoying thing about RWK was that you could conquer several squares and invest in their defenses, only to have them overthrown by an enemy overnight. The funniest thing was to write things on the map with your conquered areas.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Non-Forum Games”