The Elder Scrolls Online

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

dingo13and7

The Elder Scrolls Online

Postby dingo13and7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:55 pm

As I've trolled the forums, I've noticed there are quite a few fans of the Elder Scrolls Series (Arena, Dagerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion, and most recently, Skyrim). So, I wanted to start a discussion about the upcoming Elder Scrolls Online.

First, for those of you who may not yet have heard about it, here's the link: http://elderscrollsonline.com/
Also, an amazing video on YouTube that shows some of the gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AkiQBc2moY

The idea of the game is that it takes place a thousand years before Skyrim, and Tamriel is split into three groups, all fighting for control of Cyrodil and the Empire. And it will be an MMO. So, I want to talk about it. What does everything think? Is it a good idea? Bad idea? Who thinks that they'll be playing it? Talk to me people! :D
"Shadow heard himself laugh, over the sound of the music. He was happy...He was going around and around and around again...
Then the lights went out, and Shadow saw the gods."
-Neil Gaiman, "American Gods"
the_antisocial_hermit

Re: The Elder Scrolls Online

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:10 pm

It looks pretty nice. :) I might try it out. I have played some of the other games a little and always loved exploring them, but I usually got distracted from them by other things.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
dingo13and7

Postby dingo13and7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:45 pm

Yeah, I'm really excited about the idea of being able to explore ALL of Tamriel, instead of just one province at a time. Especially since I didn't get into TES until Morrowind, which really starting the "one-province" idea.
"Shadow heard himself laugh, over the sound of the music. He was happy...He was going around and around and around again...
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:57 pm

Ugh, it looks so amazing D; Too bad my computer would explode if I even tried to play solitaire on it, so meh :/

Semi-related, how is Morrowind? I've only ever played Oblivion and Skyrim.
dingo13and7

Postby dingo13and7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Morrowind is fantastic, though its MUCH slower than its successors. It's the game that got me hooked on TES.
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:17 pm

Morrowind is awesome. However, it's a good bit slower than the newer instalments. Fast travel is limited to a few outlets (mages guild can teleport you to other mages guilds, ships can take you to a few ports, and a thing called a silt strider can take yo to certain stops), and they all usually cost a fee. You can also get mark and recall spells which will allow you to mark one specific location and recall back to it.

Also you have to be careful where you go, because certain areas will straight up kill you if you're not geared or levelled well enough. There are more factional opportunities too, which I love. I think it's oldschool, hardcore, and great.

TES Online looks interesting. I agree that the ability to travel all of Tamriel will likely be the biggest selling point for me. I hope it still has that TES feel to the exploration, lore, and faction opportunities that make the series fun.
dingo13and7

Postby dingo13and7 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:26 pm

DylPickle wrote:TES Online looks interesting. I agree that the ability to travel all of Tamriel will likely be the biggest selling point for me. I hope it still has that TES feel to the exploration, lore, and faction opportunities that make the series fun.

Yeah, one of my biggest fears, Dyl, is that they're going to "dumb down" the exploration: i.e. they're going to cut out a lot of the miscellaneous content that made TES amazing in the first place. And I'm very much hoping it doesn't become a "go to Ald-Ruhn and collect 17 enchanted mushrooms, then go to Castle Karstagg and bring back the hearts of 5 Rieklings". That would be incredibly aggravating and disappointing.

On the plus side, for an MMO, it looks like its going to be gorgeous. :D
Voltenion

Postby Voltenion » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:25 pm

I've yet to miss any TES series since Morrowind. I'll play it for sure. I'm worried about one thing though, as I've always had a lot of "immersion" in the game role-playing and what not, since it's an MMO we'll have to deal with... well, an MMO community. It's going to be weird playing Elder Scrolls with a dude behind me calling me a nooblord, but I'm sure I'll still enjoy it overall.
"Delete Fu Island" activist.
dingo13and7

Postby dingo13and7 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:32 pm

Yeah, that's yet another of my fears, Voltenion. But, at the same time, it'll be fun to find a group of friends into the role-play aspect who will only add to the immersion.
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:45 am

We will found the Cantrian Company... And all will tremble at our narrative might.

On another note, I just payed for the DLC for Skyrim and was pretty disappointed. I knew I shouldn't have bought them, but they suckered me into it anyways. The fact that Bethesda still overprices all their content means there's more suckers like me who still pay out for it, and that kind of makes me weary if that trend continues into an MMO environment.
dingo13and7

Postby dingo13and7 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:13 am

Yeah, I'm not happy with the DLC costs for Skyrim, but I'm also one of the few players who actually does enjoy the added content. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Dragonborn expansion. Just not looking forward to paying for it.
Andu

Postby Andu » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:21 am

I might try it out, depending on how much time I have at hands when it comes out. I'd love to join the Cantrian Company. :P
"An those with little fuel, could tie a pack of bears in front of their limousine, with whip and crossbow in hands to keep them in line."
dingo13and7

Postby dingo13and7 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:16 pm

Yes! I'm all for Dyl starting this company up! :D Other players won't know what to make of us, hehe!
Spaztikko

Postby Spaztikko » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:26 am

The game itself looks terrible, I cant stand mmos, but I've just got skyrim, so I'm pretty pumped honestly.
dingo13and7

Postby dingo13and7 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Spaztikko wrote:The game itself looks terrible, I cant stand mmos, but I've just got skyrim, so I'm pretty pumped honestly.

Haha, at least its an honest answer. But I know what you mean, graphically it's nowhere near as intense as Skyrim, but at the same time its a full-sized world built to be playable by a large range of computers. Unlike Skyrim, where you can drop over $500 getting your PC up to playable spec, they're designed ESO to be playable by anyone that can handle stuff like WoW. At least, that has been my understanding of the seeminly-backwards graphics progression.

Return to “Non-Forum Games”