Marosia

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

LittleSoul

Re: Marosia

Postby LittleSoul » Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:21 pm

Yes, I'm still programming the game. The map matters because it will be used as a visual in the game, as map tiles.
The forums were taken down on purpose. The entire site was, because I knew I wouldn't be working on it for a while and wasn't going to spend money keeping an inactive site up.

I can't give you a time frame. I do what I can, when I can, so that I don't burn myself out and stop entirely.
Setting deadlines just puts pressure on me that I don't need, on a project I want to continue to love.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:00 pm

Just so you know, the pictures aren't showing at least not to me, because it says access denied. Maybe the urls lead to a private photo.

I also think it makes a lot of sense not to keep a site up when you're not sure when it will be playable.
Not-so-sad panda
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:18 pm

Ah, thanks Seko, I couldn't tell based on permissions. Sorry about that, here it is.

SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:30 pm

That looks kinda cool. How are you doing rivers? I've always found them problematic.
Not-so-sad panda
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:15 pm

Thanks, Seko. They're going to be a property of the map tile which grants access to freshwater fish as a resource.

To better answer MattWithoos question I've gone ahead and crunched some numbers roughly to at least give an idea of where I am at in development.
The first graph shows the portions of the game broken up into broad overview parts with percentages representing how much that portions takes up in total development. Character represents all things related to characters including creating, magic, mating, birth, and so on. World is the persistence of the world of the game like aging, hunger decay, health regeneration, death, travelling, and so on. Society is all of the features that allow a society to be simulated such as projects, traveling, combat, and so on. Crafting is self explanatory. Other is all the extras, like artifacts, mod and admin panel, dead characters, ruins, dungeons, and so on.

The second graph is how much of each of those portions is actually developed so far. The grey area is what isn't finished yet.

MattWithoos

Postby MattWithoos » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:46 pm

Thanks LittleSoul. Sorry if my comment was a little too blunt - I'm excited for this either way but the Facebook link disheartened me a bit with people wondering what had happened.
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:29 pm

Oh, no. I completely understand where you were coming from, and honestly, totally legitimate question. If I were on the other side of things I'd have asked the same thing. I realize it's been a whole lot of on and off, but it's because of things that aren't really in my control. It's been a bumpy ride, but I promise, I'll finish this game if it kills me. :P

I know, it disheartens me too. I don't like to see it that way, but I don't want to get everyone's hopes up, only for them to ask the same question of when it will be out, when I really can't say. I'd rather not disappoint them further.

Once we get on the brink though, I'll throw up an update and surprise them all.

But just as a reminder, I am not working on this full time. This is a hobby that I do for fun because I love the idea and the communities like this that grow from them. I want to make a great game, but I can't rush it, or I'll end up hating it. I know there's some impatience. 'Well that's great, you threw up a map, but where are you at with the game?' It's like Final Fantasy's new title. They sent out trailer's like two years ago and everyone's like, great video, uh, have you worked on the actual game yet? :lol:

I started working on this when I was brand spanking new to programming. After school and some work experience, I learned a lot, I looked at my project, and decided I wanted to overhaul and redo some things because it just wasn't what it should be in terms of quality from my previous lack of experience.

But, now, you'll get a better game out of it. I promise.
I'm not even trying to hype it up or anything - I'm honest, it's not ready, it's got a lot of testing and debugging along with those better features I'm adding, but the Cantr community has been good to me, and I wanted to share the process with you guys before anyone else. Slow as it may have been so far.
pulkownikarnold

Postby pulkownikarnold » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:22 am

LittleSoul wrote:I looked at my project, and decided I wanted to overhaul and redo some things because it just wasn't what it should be in terms of quality from my previous lack of experience.

You should look at it again as I see you're using bootstrap, but your site design is nowhere near proper. You just threw in some modals without any rows and columns, it has no order nor reason ;)

and your logo repeats itself once the width of fg-container gets over 800px(why are you even forcing your container to this width, and why are you not using default bootstrap container?), you should add background-repeat, or just background: url("../images/marosiaLogo1.png") no-repeat;
There are tons of other errors but... whatever :P

Could you show how travelling works? some images or something. Im very curious.
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:16 am

Do you have a screen shot you could post here? I am more than willing to look into it, but I am not seeing the same issue you are with the logo image.

Edit: I found it. Thanks for the logo bug, it should be fixed.

As for the container, I purposely didn't use it because the bootstrap container lets the body get really wide. I don't find it appealing.
Columns are actually being used in the modals already.
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:21 pm

I've gone ahead and made the site mobile friendly. I figured I may as well, considering it'd be a pain to have to go back and do it later after all the content is present. This way the foundation is out of the way.

If anyone tests it out and sees something wrong, feel free to let me know and I'll check it out. I don't have a million devices of my own to check it on, and it's easy to miss browser specific bugs.
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:48 pm

On iPhone 5, Safari browser...
The pop-up window from clicking "Play" offers two ways to close the window. The "Close" button at the bottom works fine. The little "x" button works, but the area of response seems too small for mobile. I needed to make the page bigger each time before tapping it and needed two or three taps each time to get the right spot. The "Close" button was plenty big for mobile, IMO, so the little "x" wouldn't be a problem unless the big close button is ever removed.
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:53 pm

Thanks Monkey.
I made a quick change. Can you check it for me and let me know? I just tested it on mine and I think I resolved the issue of having to zoom.
MonkeyPants4736

Postby MonkeyPants4736 » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:04 pm

Yes, it now responds very well.
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:08 pm

Thanks for your help.
Hommer

Postby Hommer » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:31 pm

:idea: well im trying this
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

5211-1.20: You skillfully kill a hawk using a brand new screwdriver.

Return to “Non-Forum Games”