Marosia

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

LittleSoul

Re: Marosia

Postby LittleSoul » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:57 pm

Just a quick notice that the site has been back up a while now and development is continuing full force after I finally got settled with school/moving/assimilating in the real world. Very close to finishing the core features which means beta testing will begin. Anyone who wanted at one point to get in on the ground floor to be a 'founder' of a race (for the purpose of establishing birthed characters and the race's respective culture/mannerisms/traditions, spawning a character is of course an option as well), then please keep us in mind because we're fully active again.

You can view updates here: https://www.facebook.com/marosia.pbbg

The site hasn't been fully replenished yet, so no forum or anything at the moment. It'll be put up once the game is ready for testers (soon).

I will need testers, so any volunteers are appreciated. Feel free to email me with any questions at contact@marosia.com, message me here, on FB, or comment on the FB page. I can also reply on here through messages or this thread but there will be a slower response.

Thanks for the support!
hyrle

Postby hyrle » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:50 pm

I'm glad to read that this is back on, and I plan to give it a try.
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:52 pm

Thank you, Hyrle. I truly appreciate your support and patience.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:44 pm

What sort of races are you planning to have? Traditional fantasy races or something else?
Not-so-sad panda
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:15 pm

There are quite a few races already in the game. Some are traditional, some were just made up, and some have elements of traditional fantasy races but have some key differences. There's a little bit of everything, but I am always open to ideas about new ones to add.

It's worth noting that when deciding to spawn a character you will be able to select the race you'd prefer (or randomly).

If you have some ideas feel free to throw them out there!

EDIT:
Here is a list of planned races and currently available ones (with descriptions).
Listed with them is their skill bonus, and their average life span (after the listed age they have a growing chance of natural death every year after).
The descriptions are only meant to give players a sense of direction with the race in terms of what their natural inclinations are towards behavior, however players aren't required to follow this. It's just a guide.

Possibly planned: Harpies (Fly)
Possibly planned: Mermaids {water
Possibly planned: Sirens {water
Possibly Planned: Zombies, created from dead corpses.
Possibly Planned: Golemns 100 years (smithing, building)
This race is nowhere near humanoid. Instead of skin, they are made of solid rock or stone that vary greatly in colors and patterns of minerals. Pieces of rock hold together with a mysterious gravitational force, limbs, and fingers floating an inch away from the other pieces of their “body”. They do have faces, and their eyes are usually made of rubies, diamonds, emeralds, or sapphires. They eat normal food to consume life force, and retain their energy. They range from 7 to 8 feet tall, and are this size their entire life span. They are “made” instead of born, created by their own kind by giving part of their own life force over to the inanimate rock or stone that they've put together as a body. Their body parts can twist and turn independently from each other. Because they are so large, strong, and made of such material, they are naturals at smithing, and building. They love all minerals, seeing them as potential children, or as fallen friends and family that can house and protect them. When this race dies, they crumble into inanimate stone without notice, but because they are made of lasting material, they live long natural lives.

Goblins (mining) 40 years
This race is barely, reminiscently humanoid, with bumpy, wrinkled skin that varies from green, blue, and grey. They have large pointed ears and two eyes on their face, which range in gold, black, green, blue and red. They stand upright on two feet, though they hunch over slightly, and are bald all over. They have black nails on their toes and fingers, and sharp, pointy rows of teeth. Most have medium to large noses, and boney hands with long fingers. They give birth to live young, and stand anywhere from 2 feet to 3 feet. They are naturally greedy, not very intelligent, and mean. Most of them don’t understand the reasoning or fundamentals of being friendly, but they are natural miners. Their greed and love of dark, moist places makes it easy for them to be in mines, or even live in them, for long periods of time. They have an innate instinct to horde things, even against the interests of their own race, and they typically love all things shiny.

Bloodsuckers 50 years (reaction)
Description: This race is humanoid, with smooth skin that is always an ivory color. They have rounded ears and two eyes on their face, which are always a pale pink or red. They stand upright on two feet, and have hair on their heads that’s always white, with one other inheritable pattern of any other color. They have canine fangs, which they use to suck the blood out of live or dying prey, and although they can live comfortably eating fruits and vegetables, it’s just not as delicious. They give birth to live young, and typically stand anywhere from 5 feet to 6 feet. They are usually lithe in body, intelligent in mind, and are notably quick in reaction, making them difficult to attack in combat, and hard to surprise.

Dark Elves (Stealth) 50 years
Description: This race is humanoid, with smooth skin that varies from dark blues and dark greys. They have pointed ears and two eyes on their face, which range in gold, blue, red, green, and slight combinations of those colors. They stand upright on two feet, and have hair on their heads that vary in dark hues. They give birth to live young, and stand anywhere from 5 feet to 6 feet and 5 inches. They are notably naturally stealthy; when in darkness, and out of view, they are in their element.

Fairies (Taming) 50 years
This race is humanoid, with smooth skin that varies in earthy colors. They have pointed ears and two eyes on their face, which range in any color. They stand upright on two feet, and have hair on their heads, usually in earthy colors, but it’s not uncommon to find unnatural colors of hair in this race. They have insect-like wings on their backs that are twice their body size, and they fly as primary transportation. They can only fly so high and for so long; they cannot fly over, say, a mountain or an ocean. As a people they are naturally drawn to nature, and its animals, making them potentially excellent tamers. A faint aura of light flows around their body, which changes color depending on their moods; color meanings are dependent on the individual. Red, or blue, etc. can personally mean different things to different people of this race. They give birth to little floating balls of colored light that slowly develop into a human figure. At 5 years old, they’re fully humanoid-looking, and ground-bound. They don’t grow wings until they are of mature mating age, and they stand anywhere from 6 inches to 10 inches tall in adulthood.

Wolf (Unarmed) 50 years
This race is not humanoid at first glance. Fur covers their body, which varies in earthy colors, and typically mimics the scheme of their surroundings. It sheds into a new color when they stay in a new type of terrain for a long period of time, for camouflage. People of this race have a typically thick, lengthy tail; especially good for balance. They have two large, furry, triangle-pointed ears above their temples, and two large eyes that are always light in color. They can be blue, green, or golden, with speckles of one of the other said colors. They have canine fangs as teeth, sharp claws, and a medium length tail. When moving from place to place, they typically always run or walk on all fours, as it’s the most comfortable posture to them. They have opposable thumbs, and can, as well as often do, stand upright to walk as a humanoid, or complete tasks. On all fours, they range from 3 feet, to 4 feet, and standing up they range from 6 to a towering 7 feet tall. They have no hair, only fur, and they give birth to live young. This race is naturally adept at hunting prey with their ferocious teeth, claws, and predator instinct.

Neko (Lucky) 60 years (+1 to all dice rolls)
This race is humanoid at first glance; standing on two legs, with smooth skin that varies between dark browns and light ivories. A notable difference is that they have a long graceful tail, and feline ears. They have large narrow eyes, with slit pupils that range in gold, green, and blue, or combinations of those. They have feline fangs midst human teeth. They stand from 5 to 6 feet, and have hair on their heads that can naturally be any inherited color, but their tails and ears always match in hue. This race is gifted with luck; when chance is in the mix, they always have an edge.

Naga 90 years (+1 to deception)
Description: This race is humanoid from the waist up, with skin that varies in earthy colors, and is sometimes speckled with the occasional scale. From the waist down, skin becomes scales, which cascade down a typically thick, lengthy tail. They have small holes in the sides of their head for hearing, which are usually covered by hair, and two narrow eyes with slit pupils on their face that range in all manner of colors. They have canine fangs amidst rows of normal humanoid teeth, and to “stand” upright, they use their incredibly strong tail as a balance for their upper body. The hair on their heads typically matches, or at least compliments, the color of their scales so that they may camouflage with their surroundings. They give birth to eggs, the body of the mother keeping them warm, until they are almost ready to hatch. This race is naturally skeptical and suspicious of outsiders, and it’s not uncommon of them, as a paranoid people, to feel like they’re already being led astray. For this reason, they are naturally adept deceivers themselves. They are usually happy being isolated, but there are, of course, always exceptions.

Demons 90 years ( +1 seduction)
This race is humanoid, with smooth skin that varies from dark reds to light pinks. They have pointed ears and two eyes on their face, which range in gold, red, pink, and black. They stand upright on two feet, and have hair on their heads that vary between black, blonde, blue, pink, and purple. Their hair can be a solid color, but it’s not uncommon that they have streaks of another color or two in their hair naturally. Horns of various style, but always either white or black, grow through their life continually just above their foreheads. Horn size is always a good indicator of this race’s age. They have black nails on their toes and fingers, and black or white symbols on their body, that are inheritable to bloodlines; for some reason male body patterns are always given to children. These body marks look much like tattoos, but are really a type of birth mark, and can be all over the body, or sparse. They give birth to live young, and stand anywhere from 6 feet to 8 feet. They are natural children of seduction, able, if they wish, to manipulate other people’s desires with silver tongues to achieve their ends. Though, not all go this route in life, they all certainly have the potential to.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:34 pm

If someone kills a golem, can they gouge out the jewel eyes for loot?
Not-so-sad panda
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:42 pm

Haha! :D That would be awesome!
I will definitely make them drop jewels on death.
However, since that will probably lead to them being hunted I'll being making their initial combat stats higher than average so they can defend themselves.
destinysWalrus

Postby destinysWalrus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:45 pm

I'd also be really interested in testing, and/or playing when it comes out.
I say and/or because I'm probably not a very good test player, but I really want to play.
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:39 pm

I'm sure you'd be a great tester! Not much to it except playing, and if you see something weird or something that doesn't seem intentional you just fill out a form to let me know. Super easy.
Of course you can also suggest changes and ideas you have along the way if you think it will make the game better.
Thanks for the support! I will need plenty of testers.
Marian

Postby Marian » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:11 pm

Nice to see you're back at work on this, I remember being really interested when I first heard of it. :)
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:03 pm

Thanks Marian, I'm happy to be back to work on it too. I hope you'll consider joining testing when it's open.
I'm on it as much as I can these days and trying to release at least one update a day, or if I can't then at least some news on where I'm at in terms of progress. I hope you keep an eye on it!
returner

Postby returner » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:18 am

I was reading through somewhere once how you explained that once you created the database structure, that was pretty much it and then you'd almost be done. I found that really funny, you must have been new to programming at that time. (because here we are, 3 years later :P)

So I'm guessing it's written in PHP/MySQL?
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:29 am

Haha! Probably, yeah. :lol: Marosia was the reason I learned how to program in the first place, so I likely was as new as it gets when I said that. Haha, how wrong I was! I was on and off the project for a long while too. I'd say about a year and a half of those 3 years were actually spent aggressively working on the game. However, now I'm in a very stable position in life and I have the time, more know how, and the drive to get it done!

It is! It's written in PHP, MySQL, AJAX, Javascript, CSS, and good ol' HTML.
Do you program per chance?
destinysWalrus

Postby destinysWalrus » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:23 am

LittleSoul wrote:Haha! Probably, yeah. :lol: Marosia was the reason I learned how to program in the first place, so I likely was as new as it gets when I said that. Haha, how wrong I was! I was on and off the project for a long while too. I'd say about a year and a half of those 3 years were actually spent aggressively working on the game. However, now I'm in a very stable position in life and I have the time, more know how, and the drive to get it done!

It is! It's written in PHP, MySQL, AJAX, Javascript, CSS, and good ol' HTML.
Do you program per chance?

I do! Though I have no idea if returner does or not.

I'd offer help with programming, if you wanted, but there's two things stopping me.
1) I'm still in college right now and therefore more than a little busy
2) I'm currently unfamiliar with most of the things you used. I know some Javascript and can use HTML fairly well but that's it, from your list.

Very interesting though and I'm keeping an eye on this.
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:09 am

Nice to meet a follow geek! 8) I'm in college full time myself, so I understand the time constraint (I basically just code, homework, class, sleep, repeat; sadly no room even for cantr :cry: ). Majoring in Computer Science, as you might have figured.
Understandable! Most college programs don't even teach PHP or MySQL. The only reason I know is because I taught myself before I started school. :lol:
If you ever decide to learn let me know! Could look good on a resume. :wink: Seriously. Marosia has already landed me a summer internship. :P

Return to “Non-Forum Games”