Marosia

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

LittleSoul

Marosia

Postby LittleSoul » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:07 am

I've seen others post about games other than Cantr in here, and I thought I'd shamelessly throw up my own, as long as it's in the right place?

You can learn more about it here: http://www.marosia.com
It's got a kickstarter, and is linked to almost every social networking site imaginable.

Marosia is inspired by a MUSH, Cantr, and FTO, with a some unique personal touches of my own.
I'm trying to get it launched by mid-December.

Features:

-Hunger Stat

-Family System

-Crafting System

-Stackable items with item sprites

-Skill-based combat tailored to include RP

-Farming system to grow your own crops

-Taming system to acquire mounts

-Fully customizable items, clothing, buildings, and locations

-Events on a regular basis, which are area-wide that spice up RP

-Several types of rare magic

-Perma-death, and lifespans

-Interesting races with unique benefits, such as skill talents and flying

-Interactive RP skills such as persuasion, deception, and seduction

-An ever evolving virtual world where technology and cultures can grow

-Every story is different, and with balanced character turnover so you're never left stagnant and wondering what to do next
Armulus Satchula

Re: Marosia

Postby Armulus Satchula » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:56 pm

Sounds neat. I'd give it a whirl.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:28 pm

The event thing makes me think of KoL. They've had plenty of interesting events along the years, including an asteroid strike.
Not-so-sad panda
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:20 pm

Thanks for the interest (:

Yeah exactly Seko! I plan on semi normal events like natural disasters and things like that, but also magical ones, or crazy things like fire raining from the skies.

They wouldn't be overly frequent, though of course. That'd be overkill. Haha.
I just thought that it'd be cool to be actively involved in my game, which is fun for me, and add in crazy RP circumstances, which is great for the players.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:15 pm

It sounds promising, although I would maybe prefer a more realistic setting than fantasy/magical environment. It's good that it says magic is a rare thing so not everybody has it.

Can someone describe a location to be a town just like that or do they need to build buildings first?
Not-so-sad panda
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:34 am

That's one thing cantr is good for, a non fantasy setting. (:

EDIT: Sorry this is kind of long. I'll put separate topics of information in quotes.

It's definitely a requirement to have buildings.
There will also be a grounded special item required just for the purpose of being able to change the location description, so that everyone can't just change them any time they wish.

At the same time, the original description of the natural area will still be there, because that's not what's editable. The description put in by the user will simply have their description under the original. Thus, keeping the description of the natural area always present, but at the same time, giving freedom of imagination to the player so that they can input hints to the areas culture, and so on.

The game will also have "cities" or "villages", which is basically a cluster of areas that are only accessible through a terrain tile (an open natural area like a forest, for instance.) "Cities" will be up-gradable, requiring a certain number of buildings/areas (and of course resources/tools) in order to qualify for the ability to make more buildings and area. Upgrades would be something like from "village", to "town", to "city" as an example.

So as you can see when it comes to creating towns and such, there's quite a lot of freedom to it.

The descriptions of buildings will only be editable by the person who started the process of creation. No one else will be able to edit it, to keep from trolls messing things up, and so that places and things in the world have a certain consistence about them. Of course with items, it's easy because once the description it's done, there's no need to be able to change it; you can simply create something else.

But with buildings, since they can last a good amount of time in the game (depending on what they're made out of), it can seem more complicated. The person who has the ability to edit ideally will have the ability to pass those permissions on to someone else if they choose (mechanically). If the person who has those permissions, and they're the only one alive or with those permissions, dies, then those buildings will not be able to be changed. The only case of those buildings descriptions being changed would be if it's changed by me because of an event, like an earthquake for instance.

But really, I don't see people needing to change the descriptions of building frequently. They -are- buildings of course; rather permanent for the most part. Buildings also decay, by the way, so they'll have to be rebuilt eventually along with their descriptions anyways.

Terrain descriptions will work much the same way, where the special grounded item is built in order to be able to input a new description. The item will be a sort of symbol that the area is settled, and it will also decay. Once the "settlement symbol" item is gone, the original description will stay for a limited amount of time. If in that time another "settlement symbol" item is not built, then the original user inputted description will be gone, and all that will be left is the nature one.

This way, if a large city of people end up abandoning a town, or a colony dies out, the description will eventually be gone just like the buildings will.
But if there is a large group of people and the "settlement symbol" decays, and they're still going strong, all they need to do is build it again to keep the description around. It'll also give them the chance to update it, because unlike with buildings, there are no permissions. Once it's finished, it's finished until the next decay of that special item. So people will be responsible for carefully thinking them out.

Ideally, terrain descriptions are supposed to describe the general area, the feeling you might get from being in the area, and what you might see around you such as signs and things of that sort. Descriptions of architecture could also be mentioned, by they would mainly be represented by the building descriptions.

I hope that answers a lot of what you were wondering! I should put this info in the FAQ on the website; it's a LOT to explain though. I think people will figure it out a lot more easily when they actually place. The interface should make things like this more obvious, so you don't have to go blindly exploring too much.

Thanks for the questions! Keep them coming if you have any, it's helping me out (:
Andu

Postby Andu » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:30 am

Sound promising. :)

*subscribes to topic*
"An those with little fuel, could tie a pack of bears in front of their limousine, with whip and crossbow in hands to keep them in line."
Nathan89

Postby Nathan89 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:50 am

sorta interesting but the family system is what kills it for me. I wish you luck but seeing how much FTO was a flop I will pass. Cantr is simple. Its what makes it popular in this small circle of game types FTO was a try hard.
oddedd

Postby oddedd » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:31 pm

I agree FTO was a flop, but it was full of other issues that made it flop, and I don't think the family system was one of them!
When you're falling off a cliff you might as well try to fly.
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:57 pm

much of the problem was how the creator dealt with issues.
oddedd

Postby oddedd » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Agreed, it's not enough to just have a good game, when dealing with a game like this, that attracts more intelligent players, if you don't treat them with respect, they won't stay.
When you're falling off a cliff you might as well try to fly.
Nathan89

Postby Nathan89 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:39 pm

EDIT: <snip> But the family system is killed by power players. I wont name names they play here after all. But its like oh your child has a good solid plan for a mine? Killed. Kid sleeps two days? Killed. Madness. And forget travel. And culture. Its was a RP game. RPing sitting around chatting. Nothing happened. Its why cantr is great things happen in the game. Wars ,empires ,trade, businesses. All the players who are able to make those things happen where the first to leave. All thats there is the RP crowd. You know the kind here in this game. Having festivals and flying kites. And oh sure they are great fun! But some people just do those things.
Last edited by EchoMan on Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Slandering is under no circumstances accepted in the Cantr forums.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:13 pm

It's annoying when children in FTO don't act like children but my characters never killed anyone during the time they were in the game. I once saw a kid get killed for no ingame reason because he had switched players and they found out OOC that the new player was someone they didn't like. I don't think people should be allowed to kill characters over OOC reasons even if the player was a known troll. People like that should be taken care of by mods / an equivalent of PD. And instead of heart attacks there could be more believable causes of death for young people, like getting lost in a forest and never being found, or drowning or falling off a cliff or getting eaten by a cave monster.
Not-so-sad panda
Nathan89

Postby Nathan89 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:19 pm

yea it comes down to a badly run game will always be a fail. but a family system just does not work. I do not want to play a kid. I dont want to wait months for the game to get interesting. Some people do but I am sure the majority of players do not like it hence why the complete population of FTO is last I saw under 400. Most of those not active of course.

I like this idea and all for this game but honestly Cantr proved a massive point. Ten years. Ten years Cantr has been going myself have been playing for 7 years give or take. I remember my first spawn date thats it. But Cantr is Simple. It is a basic game. Simple to run with a handful of people. Simple to run with a lot of people. Its basic. More things are getting added as we all noticed and I myself jump up and down with joy but its added it started with no having to eat. That alone jumped exploration and building a long way. Keep it simple and it will work and we will love you for it. Make it complex like FTO and it will flop.

Oh and honestly I think the Cantr layout is the best. Simple organize and it cant confuse anyone. Dont clone cantr. Use what works! :P
in vitro...

Postby in vitro... » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:32 pm

if you ever wondered - "Marosia" sounds stupid in polish
cantr się posypał

Return to “Non-Forum Games”