Console Games: How do you get yours?

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

How do you mainly get your (premium) console games?

Buy new
33%
Buy used
56%
Rent by mail
No votes
Rent from a local store
6%
Borrow
6%

Total votes: 18
Chris

Console Games: How do you get yours?

Postby Chris » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:52 pm

How do you get your console games? Why?

I have been buying used PS3 games, usually a couple of years old. I typically pay $10 per game, more or less, plus shipping, from Glyde.com. (I've also used GameStop, but I like how Glyde is integrated into Metacritic's game pages.) Obviously, I don't need the latest games. I also don't think I go through games fast enough to justify a rental subscription at GameFly or Blockbuster.

There are also downloaded games. (I didn't include those in the poll because it's self-explanatory how one gets them.) I have a PlayStation Plus subscription and have gotten quite a few games as part of the bargain.
gejyspa

Re: Console Games: How do you get yours?

Postby gejyspa » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:01 am

I chose "borrow", but to clarify, I borrow them from the local library, which lends them for free for a (renewable) three week time period.
DylPickle

Postby DylPickle » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:04 am

Games from a library? That's new.
gejyspa

Postby gejyspa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:26 am

They've been doing it for a few years now. (actually, before that, they also had free computer games, starting all the way back to the early 90s)
Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:05 pm

Libraries are awesome: free Internet access, books, DVDs, music, and (now we hear) games.

From the poll, it seems that buying used is popular. Where do people buy their used games?
masterekat

Postby masterekat » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:23 pm

Game eXchange or Gamestop
Shaderon
Location: England (The rain center of the universe or so it seems)

Postby Shaderon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:35 pm

CEX (Entertainment Exchange) It's a UK chain that started out quote small but has got very large. They also have www.webuy.com
Earn cash in your spare time by blackmailing your friends - A spam email is for life not just for Christmas.
saztronic

Postby saztronic » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:10 pm

In the early '80s, when I played on game consoles, I used to have to ask my parents for game cartridges or get them from my friends. This was Atari 2600 days. Space Invaders, Missle Command, Adventure, etc.

That would be the last game console that I 'owned'. I used the Nintendo one that came out late '80s to play the early Mario Bros games and such when I was IN COLLEGE.

Haven't played a console game since.

So you need to add an "old crusty anachronism" option to your poll for me to be able to participate.

Get off my lawn.
I kill threads. It's what I do.
catwill

Postby catwill » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:42 pm

saztronic wrote:In the early '80s, when I played on game consoles, I used to have to ask my parents for game cartridges or get them from my friends. This was Atari 2600 days. Space Invaders, Missle Command, Adventure, etc.

That would be the last game console that I 'owned'. I used the Nintendo one that came out late '80s to play the early Mario Bros games and such when I was IN COLLEGE.

So you need to add an "old crusty anachronism" option to your poll for me to be able to participate.

Get off my lawn.

Pitfall...
Marry me?
And when I walk I'm a cyclone
You should see it get rolling
Open my heart and emotions rip out of me
My emotions rip out of me

-Liz Phair
hyrle

Postby hyrle » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:20 pm

saztronic wrote:In the early '80s, when I played on game consoles, I used to have to ask my parents for game cartridges or get them from my friends. This was Atari 2600 days. Space Invaders, Missle Command, Adventure, etc.

Get off my lawn.

My family had an 80's Atari and I used to love playing Defender and Asteroids. We didn't own Adventure or Missle Command. But I or my family have also owned the NES, SNES and PS3. I kind of skipped consoles between SNES and PS3, and my PS3 serves more often as a Netflix and Bluray player than a gaming console. I selected buying used because I've bought a few that way.
Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:00 pm

hyrle wrote:my PS3 serves more often as a Netflix and Bluray player than a gaming console.

Yeah, I use my PS3 more for video streaming than for games. I was curious about game buying habits because the $60 premium games seem way overpriced, given how fast their value falls in the used market.
Chroma Key

Postby Chroma Key » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:14 pm

My daughter has a 3DS that she lets me have when she has a difficult quest/race/fight. It was her 10th birthday last Wednesday, and I got a game (LOTR) from the Gamestation (UK chain - http://www.game.co.uk/). It was only £12.99, whereas the new ones usually retail for £34 - £40 (Got a brand new, full retail price game when we got the 3DS, and of course, it was Mario Kart 7). They have really good deals on pre-owned games, and I have my eye on a 3 for 2 deal for Christmas. Sshh! :lol:
I used to have a PS1, many many years ago, when I was just a very lonely young woman. My first game was Resident Evil 3: Nemesis, and I spent many hours in the night trying to finish that game (Which I did!). I also had a really funny racing/fighting game (All I can remember is one of the songs that went "Return, return, return to Houston"). The console and the games are still in the attic. I intend to show them to Miss CK soon. These days, between Miss CK, my job and other responsibilities plus Cantr, I have no time for console games... but Miss CK and I have been known to play games on PC during holidays. :wink:
"She could make something sound stupid just by hearing it.”
"For a short moment there, you almost sounded human."

Return to “Non-Forum Games”