Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Players Department Trainee

User avatar
Oob
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:22 pm
Location: Paradox Cubed

Re: Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby Oob » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:30 pm

Interesting thread. I have looked at roleplaying over irc but as has been mentioned using irc can have certain concerns with people. Maybe irc is actually safe and secure and the concerns are only minimal so we need not worry. Using the forum sounds to have some drawbacks. Are there any 'other' ways to roleplay that could be used? .. preferably using a browser? I may have got it wrong, is it the case that either irc or the forum would have to be connected to Cantr or could it be some other place?
User avatar
SekoETC
Posts: 15499
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 11:07 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby SekoETC » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:02 pm

[00:11] * Seko //Currently, the wind is howling between the abandoned buildings, making the clothes of the dead flap noisily. Notes are dancing close to the ground, getting stuck in the bushes and packed against the walls of buildings as a breeze keeps blowing in from the sea. A lonely raker is floating an hour away from the harbor.
[00:23] * Seko : You see a woman in her twenties whom you haven't seen before. She looks around, eyes widening as she spots the corpses beneath the masses of notes. She wraps her arms around herself to cover her naked chest, goosebumps raising on her skin.
[00:35] * Seko spots a cotton longcoat amidst the debris and quickly grabs it, still shielding her breasts with her left arm as if someone might see. She wraps the garment around her slender body and ties the fasteners clumsily. It was clearly made for someone taller and bigger, the hem almost sweeping the ground. She rolls up the sleeves and slowly color is starting to return on her pale face. Still it takes a while before the shivering stops.
[00:36] * Taika You see a woman in her twenties whom you haven't seen before. She steps out from behind a ruined building, surveying the wasteland with an unreadable expression. Her restless eyes stop on the other woman and she draws back, nearly out of sight.
[00:41] * Gran : A man in his twenties stands right out of one of the local exits, bewildered at the many bodies and carcasses left to rot. His body remains immobile; his eyes, however, run confused across the whole forsaken picture.
[00:41] * cdls is now known as David
[00:41] * Seko turned abruptly towards the other woman, perhaps hearing the rustle of her steps. She looks very much like a rabbit facing the sights of a hunter with her nostrils flaring and large eyes widening.
[00:42] * David walks into town, his eyes narrowing a bit as he gives pause at the sight of the many corpses. His gaze slowly runs over what survivors there are before they are drawn once again to the bodies. His voice is barely audible as he utters "By the name of the holy Gods, what has happened here...." his voice trailing off at the end as he glances back down the road he arrived on. After a moment, he speaks quite a bit more loudly, speaking to
[00:43] * Randi has joined #cantr_rpg
[00:44] * shane has joined #cantr_rpg
[00:45] * David has left #cantr_rpg
[00:45] * shane is now known as David
[00:45] * Taika stares impassively back at the other woman, standing motionless yet seeming to tense. Her eyes dart briefly to the others but come back to the woman.
[00:45] * Seko changes topic to 'Grassland location where you see 4 people, no animals and countless of objects, most of which are notes.'
[00:47] * David nobody in particular. "The name is David, David Larken." He turns his gaze away from the road and back towards the town as a whole before continuing on, "What has happened here?" *sorry all, didn't know there was a char limit*
[00:48] * Gran : Man in his twenties yells: "What the burning fuck has happened here, you mean!"
[00:50] * Gran He is trembling, nervously staring at David. He talks with some difficulty "There... there was a... city! A city! Here! Gone now!"
[00:50] * David glances over as the man yells, his expression showing clear disapproval of the lack of control. After a moment he replies in a calming tone: "No, I meant what I had said, and how I said it. Something has happened, but getting all worked up isn't gonna fix a thing."
[00:50] * Seko cringes at the yelling, her eyes darting from person to person. She starts backing towards the nearest building, her heel landing upon cold metal. She stops to feel it with her toes, not daring to take her eyes off the newcomers.
[00:51] * Gran : He stares blankly at David. His leg shakes violently, but he doesn't notice it. His tone is weak, yet agressive "Worked?! Worked up?!"
[00:52] * Indigo A woman in her twenties looks around, a somber expression in her face as she spots the bodies lying on the ground. Her eyes narrowed, she watches quietly at the people around.
[00:52] * Gran : "These are all-all-all... DEAD!"
[00:53] * Gran : "In l-less than a day! All... all gone for no reason!!!"
[00:53] * Seko changes topic to 'Grassland location where you see 5 people, no animals and countless of objects, most of which are notes.'
[00:54] * David gives a little nod, his tone still soft: "Yes, worked up. Give me a hand tending to the survivors." He then turns from Gram and moves towards the woman who had backed herself against the building. He stops a few paces in front of her and removes his jacket, holding it out to her, a small offering.
[00:54] * Gran : He takes a deep breath, trying to calm down.
[00:54] * Indigo "There's always a reason for everything" mutters.
[00:55] * Taika draws further back and looks around the ground frantically. Scrabbling to dig under a small pile of debris, she pulls out a filthy tunic of some rough material and pulls it over her head with quick, jerking movements.
[00:55] * Gran : He says: "Yes. But what-what reason, WHAT REAS-" he takes a long pause "Survivors."
[00:57] * Gran : Sitting down, he stares at an unindentified corpse. His despair fades slowly as he repeats "Survivors".
[00:58] * Seko clutches the lapels of her longcoat and pulls them up to cover the top of her chest. She stares at David, not seeming to understand his gesture. Her foot is set upon an iron shield but she makes no move to pick it up.
[01:00] * Taika disappears behind the building and emerges on the other side, slowly approaching the others at an oblique angle, tugging the hem of the tunic down all the while.
[01:01] * Indigo She says: "There's no use trying to find a reason... They're dead, we're alive" She spots a crossbow in the ground, and picks it up, looking at it for a moment before keeping it at her back.
[01:02] * David blinks as if confused, shaking his head quickly and takes a step backwards, quickly putting the jacket back on. He turns to look as the woman speaks: "Yeah, and unless we wanna end up like them, we will want to know how they died, right?"
[01:06] * Indigo kneels down, reading at some random notes. Without looking up, she speaks in a low tone "Why do you think we should end up like them if we don't find the reason?"
[01:06] * Gran : "Survivors."
[01:06] * Seko : As he backs off, she quickly takes a step to the back-left and then another one to the back-right, landing behind the shield. She squats down and grabs it, moving it into an upright position and carefully lifting her head to peer over the edge. Her light-brown bangs are almost reaching her eyes, leaving only a narrow strip visible.
[01:06] * Taika "Right..." Mumbles as she crouches down and sifts through the loose debris.
[01:07] * Randi has quit IRC (Quit: http://www.mibbit.com ajax IRC Client)
[01:07] * Gran : He is curled up, currently mumbling to himself the same thing over and over.
[01:07] * Indigo says: If that reason was going to kill us.... we'd be already dead *keeping a note, she stands up*
[01:08] * David shrugs, glancing at the bodies before his gaze falls on the woman. "Because, right now, what I see is a crap load of dead bodies, and only a couple of us people left alive. I don't want to be..." His voice trails off as a look of deep thought crosses his features.
[01:10] * Indigo looks sideways to the man curled up, a slight frown in her face, then back at the man talking " You don't want to be.... what? Another corpse?
[01:11] * Taika digs uselessly for several moments before stopping, slowly turning her head to the nearest corpse. With a sigh of disgust she crawls to the corpse and begins searching around it.
[01:12] * Gran : He slowly puts himself up and standing. His hands and feet still shake slightly. "Okay, okay. I'm alright-right?"
[01:14] * David blinks a few times as the woman speaks to him and shakes his head. "Of course I don't want to be a corpse. Finding out how they died will give us a start on how to avoid it as well." He gives a soft sigh before muttering "Unless we have it all wrong..."
Gran : "I'm John... Just in case something happens. I want to die with a name." [Gran will be named Jonh]
[01:15] * Gran is now known as Jonh
[01:18] * Indigo looks at the man's eyes for the first time "All wrong?"
[01:20] * David gives a nod, his voice carrying a nonchalant tone. "What if -we- are the ones who died...and this is some sort of afterlife?" He glances around after his comment, his eyes on the dead bodies.
[01:22] * Jonh : He takes a quite sharp and incredulous stare at David.
[01:22] * Indigo raises an eyebrow "What the hell are you insinuating?" Her somber expression changes to horror for just a second, before becoming blank again"
[01:23] * Jonh says "No shit, not happening."
[01:24] * David gives a shrug and moves to a nearby building, sitting down with his back against the wall. After a small yawn he calls out: "Well, I need a nap...that trip down the road was quite long." He then drifts off to sleep.
[01:25] * David is now known as David_sleeping
[01:30] * Indigo looks at the man falling asleep, and shakes her head with a bitter smirk "The man worried about reasons... can't keep his mind damn awake" She then turns to the other people "I'm.... "she seems about to say something, but then falls silent for a moment, as if thinking twice" I'm Alice"
[01:32] * Indigo is now known as Alice
[01:34] * Seko "Names...", she mutters slowly, so slowly that it comes out sounding more like "nay-yims". "Ever-e-body's giv-ing names..."
[01:47] * Taika pauses in her search and speaks in a dull tone without looking up. "Annahka." She snorts softly and moves to the next corpse, feeling carefully around in the rubble near it.
[01:48] * Taika is now known as Annahka
[01:51] * Alice nods to each of them, and her gaze stops by the woman who hasn't introduced herself yet " Yes, names. What's yours?"
[01:55] * Annahka exhales in a rush as her fingers smooth over a familiar shape. Digging rapidly, she unearths a cracked chitin shield. She sets it carefully to the side and steps over the corpse, digging again on the other side.
[01:57] * Seko "I... thi-n-k I am... Void." The words seem to crawl out of her mouth like weak newborn critters. She's rocking the shield back and forth on its edge, most likely without realizing it.
[01:58] * Seko is now known as Seko|Void
[02:01] * Alice "Void..." she repeats the name in a barely audible voice, and she can't help a shiver visibly running through her body, as she stares intensely at Void.
[02:04] * Jonh is too much busy wandering around the corpses to care to the dialogue.
[02:06] * Annahka hisses in pain, holding up her hand to examine her bleeding fingers. With her other hand she picks a steel dagger from beside the corpse.
[02:17] * Seko|Void slowly turns her gaze towards the source of the sound and mutters in the same thick, slow voice: "Y-ou h-ave red stuff com-ing o-u-t..."
[02:18] * David_sleeping awakens with a soft yawn and glances around, disappointment in his voice as he speaks. "Well damn, I was half hoping this was a dream." He gives a sigh and stands, glancing about, his expression thoughtful.
[02:18] * David_sleeping is now known as David_Larken
[02:22] * Seko|Void "I-ee am Void. Alice is Alice. Red stuff is Annahka", she speaks slowly in case David had been sleeping too deeply to hear the introductions.
[02:24] * Jonh says "Alredy up, Lark? Not a dream, we are indeed here." and proceeds to lightly kick a corpse with some disgust.
[02:25] * David_Larken turns his gaze to Void as she speaks, his expression changing from thoughtful to a softer, calm demeanor. He gives a little smile and nods in gratitude. "Thank you Void." He turns towards John and shakes his head, although his expression has returned to its earlier thoughtful look.
[02:30] * Jonh says "Whatever happened, it happened fast." he turns to Larken "You told something about a trip."
[02:31] * Jonh : "How much time did you spend out?"
[02:32] * Indigo_Alice still looking intensely at Void, she rubs her forehead, thoughtful, remaining silent.
[02:34] * Annahka blots her fingers absently on her tunic and stoops over to pick up the shield with her injured hand. Keeping Void in her peripheral vision, she stands idle, seemingly unsure of what to do now.
[02:49] * Pisc has quit IRC (Ping timeout)
[03:06] * Miss3rz has joined #cantr_rpg
[03:09] * Mojo has joined #cantr_rpg
[03:11] <Mojo> *a man in his twenties, shuffles into town spotting the closest woman to the road and does a complete circle around her, eying her up like a five star meal*
[03:19] * Mojo has quit IRC (Quit: Mojo)
[03:20] * Seko|Void watches the new guy sneaking around Alice and she straightens up, backing away from them and almost stepping on David's foot. "...Sorrey..." She skips to the side, stepping on yet another piece of useless rubbish lying on the ground.


Void is a woman in her twenties. Her hair is light brown and she has thick bangs that are almost long enough to cover her large eyes, which have a brown ring around the gray center, making their color change depending on the direction of lighting. She would be of medium height if she ever straightened her back, but ever since she spawned she has been keeping her head low as if worried the sky might fall on top of her head. She's wearing a cotton longcoat that was clearly made to fit someone bigger than her, the sleeves rolled up and the hem almost sweeping the ground. She is carrying an iron shield.
Last edited by SekoETC on Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Not-so-sad panda
User avatar
MelloYell
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby MelloYell » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:54 pm

if anyone is willing to play, i am willing to set up the mechanics for a cantr forum game based off cantr. it's easy to set up a list of skills and have excel randomly assign charries different strengths and skills. my problem is that i don't know all the in-game skills yet. these are the only ones i know so far:

Building, Burying, Carpentry, Collecting, Cooking, Digging, Fighting, Hunting, Manufacturing Tools, Manufacturing Weapons, Mining, Tailoring

can anyone add to the list?

also, i set my own values for how varying skill levels effect the pace and effectiveness of the job being done.
anyone interested in playing? i can set up some rules too and keep track of the charries that enter the game and the skills they have (so people don't cheat).

if no one is interested though, i don't want to waste my time.
(i tested the system in excel and it was super easy to set up.....15 charries could start right now, really.)
Gran
Posts: 1720
Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:53 am
Contact:

Re: Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby Gran » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:35 pm

Roleplay has little to do with mechanics. They just serve to lend coherence to our characters actions.
"Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso"
User avatar
Tripkan
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby Tripkan » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:47 pm

Annahka, a woman in her twenties.

Of average height with a lean build and fair skin. She has limp black hair to her shoulders, the ends appearing ragged and unevenly cut. Her eyes are light grey and sit in a narrow, watchful face.

She is wearing a hemp tunic.

You can see her holding:
an often-used chitin shield
a new steel dagger
User avatar
MelloYell
Posts: 598
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby MelloYell » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:09 am

Gran wrote:Roleplay has little to do with mechanics. They just serve to lend coherence to our characters actions.


yes.....but i guess i just love the feel of cantr, and to just.....be able to have whatever you want (i.e.: *susan sees a steel battle axe and picks it up*) bothers me.

i'd much rather keep true to cantr and gather and build and thus, earn. i'm new to cantr, but withouth these opportunities, it would have been difficult for me to build my characters.

i was planning on taking the skill/resource/build scheme on a small scale.

if that doesn't interest anyone though, it's no big deal. ;)
i'll just wait for cantr to come back up.
User avatar
SekoETC
Posts: 15499
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 11:07 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby SekoETC » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:41 pm

At the moment I don't see a problem with people inventing items as they see fit. If it becomes an issue then I can write a list of objects and buildings.

Charpg day 2.

[14:53] * gejyspa has joined #cantr_rpg
[16:42] <gejyspa> *You see approaching from down the road a little girl, perhaps 7 or 8 years old. Her long auburn hair lays in tangles around about her shoulders. Her face is grimy, and she keeps two her middle and and ring fingers stuck in her mouth. She wears a weathered leather skirt with a long rip down the right front side*
[17:21] * Seko|Void turns to stare at the new person with a mixture of curiosity and confusion. "Lit-tle person... Who are you?" Her speech is slurred as usual, most likely difficult to understand.
[17:26] * Seko changes topic to 'You are in a grassland location where you see 7 people, no animals and countless of objects, most of which are notes.'
[18:01] <gejyspa> *She looks over at Void and without taking her fingers out of her mouth, mumbles what MIGHT be 'Jayna'*
[18:08] * Seko|Void starts moving closer but aims a little bit to the side rather than walking directly towards the girl. She keeps her eyes riveted onto hers, and her eyes seem strangely multicolored like opals when the light hits them.
[18:09] <gejyspa> *She looks at the approaching woman with growing concern in her own eyes, and starts backing away*
[18:13] <Seko|Void> *She stops advancing, seeming unsure of how to deal with the situation. She squats down on the ground and starts playing with some discarded bone jewelry, pretending to lose interest in the girl.*
[18:17] <gejyspa> *She continues to back away, until she meets with the remains of a stone wall, and stumbles a bit. She squats as well, at a distance from Void, looking interested in what the older woman is doing, while trying to appear not to be. After a minute or two, she creeps cautiously nearer, but still about 3-5 meters away. * Whatcha got there?
[18:21] <Seko|Void> "Trin-ketss..." *She lifts a short string of polished bone bits threaded on a length of sinew. It must've been meant as a bracelet but never tied into a loop. Still she avoids looking at the girl.*
[18:23] <gejyspa> *For the first time, her fingers are removed from her mouth, which now forms a large 'O'. Her eyes widen still more, and she breathes out a low...* Whoaa....those're pretty.
[18:28] <Seko|Void> "You want trink-ets? You can have it if you want." *She lifts the string of beads higher and moves her hand in direction of the girl, but continues staring to the side.*
[18:31] <gejyspa> *She approaching closer, hand outstreched, but stops about 2 meters away, and drops her hand to her side* Mommy says, *drops her voice about half an octave, and recites* Don't take gifts from strangers. *Her voice returns to its normal pitch and speed. Tears begin to well up in her eyes* I think you must be a stranger.
[18:34] <Seko|Void> "Wot's a mommy?" *she speaks slowly, jutting out her lips in another curiously confused expression. She puts the trinket back on the ground and sits down on her bum, hugging her knees to her chest and resting her chin on top of them.*
[18:40] <gejyspa> *She looks at Void, mirroring the latter's confusion in her own face* Don't you have a Mommy, stranger?
[18:48] <Seko|Void> "I don't have anybody... I only have myself. I am Void. I was spawned yes-ter-da-y. I have a coat, and an ir-on shi-eld. I am hung-ry." *The litany escapes from her mouth in short segments reminiscent of small clumsy creatures climbing over a fence, one by one, kindly waiting in line for their turn.*
[19:17] <gejyspa> I'm hungry, too. *Clutches her stomach* Maybe we can find something to eat together. It's sad that you don't have a Mommy. Mommies make things to eat.
[19:17] <gejyspa> *she begins to sniffle* I miss my Mommy
[19:28] <Seko|Void> *She slowly lifts her head, seeming emotionally untouched by the sniveling, but she scans her surroundings slowly until her wandering gaze lands upon an abandoned potato patch. The plants have clearly gone untended for days, long enough for the leaves to start drooping from lack of moisture and tiny weeds have started peeking their green heads out of the dry soil.* "I think there's ta-ters. Taters are food..."
[19:33] <gejyspa> *She follows Void's gaze, and wanders over to the potato field, her fingers back in her mouth. She looks curiously at the greenery.* Where?
[19:39] <Seko|Void> "Here..." *For the first time her voice seems to reflect some warmth and kindness. She unfolds her arms and crawls over to the potato patch, starting to dig into the dirt with her bare hands. After a while she is able to pull out some tubers. They're pretty small but smooth and displaying no signs of rotting.*
[19:40] <gejyspa> Okay. You cook 'em, 'kay?
[19:41] <gejyspa> But don't put any of the green stuff on 'em, cause I don't like the green stuff.
[19:42] <Seko|Void> "Coo-k?" *She glances down at the tubers in her hands, her brow furrowing slightly.* "How do we coo-k?"
[19:43] <gejyspa> *shrugs* I dunno. Mommy put them in the oven and then they just cook.
[19:45] <gejyspa> She likes to eat them with the green stuff, but I don't like it. They taste yuck on my tongue, and I spit them out.
[19:48] <Seko|Void> "But ovens are in build-ings..." *Her voice turns more silent and she casts a wide-eyed glance at the stone buildings casting their cold shadows over the fields.*
[19:51] <gejyspa> Well, what're we going to do? I'm HUNgry! *She glances back over the rubble-strewn road from where she came* Mommy?
[19:52] <gejyspa> *Large tears begin to plop onto her cheeks*
[20:04] <Seko|Void> "I guess we could go to buildings..." *she whispers, although sounding rather unsure about herself. She stands up and stuffs the potatoes in the pockets of her oversized longcoat, brushing the dirt off her knees before slowly moving over to Jayna.* "Would you like to go looking for an ov-en... with me?"
[20:07] <gejyspa> *She considers this* Are you still a stranger? Cause Mommy says *Again, she switches to her 'Mommy' voice* Don't go ANYWHERE with strangers.
[20:11] <Seko|Void> "You know what to call me. And I know what to call you. You're Jayna, right? That means we're acquaintances. Acquaintances are not strangers."
[20:12] <gejyspa> *She shakes her head, and taking her fingers out of her mouth, she carefully pronounces...* JennEL
[20:13] <gejyspa> And your name's Void, right? That's a funny name.
[20:15] <Seko|Void> "I'm a... weird person, maybe? I'm a... peculiar person." *She cocks her head to the right.* "I feel unusual."
[20:21] <gejyspa> You have funny eyes, too. Kind of like the sleeping people.
[20:21] <gejyspa> Mommy's sleeping, too. I couldn't get her to wake up.
[20:21] <gejyspa> Okay, we're quaintses. Let's go look for th'oven.
[20:22] <gejyspa> *holds out her left hand*
[20:28] <Seko|Void> *She takes Jennel's hand and her grip is reassuringly firm, yet soft.* "Where should we start search-ing? Do you know how to read?" *It appears the town was once rather large, with over 20 buildings, but some of them have collapsed due to unknown forces, leaving only about half a dozen standing.*
[20:29] <gejyspa> *She shakes her head, then says with pride* I can spell my name -- J-E-N-N-E-L!
[20:30] * gejyspa is now known as gejyspa|Jennel
[20:37] <Seko|Void> "The signs look like there's lots of letters missing, anyway. We could go search them in order." *She points towards the first one that appears to be titled 'Tuvr lai,'.*
[20:39] * gejyspa|Jennel shrugs, and allows herself to be led by the hand
[20:47] <Seko|Void> *Void's grip tightens instinctively as she approaches the building, making sure to watch where she's stepping amidst the rubble with her bare feet. It gets chilly when they reach the shadow of the building. The door seems to be standing wide open, with old signs of a break-in attempt on the door, yet the lock is still intact. It takes a moment for their eyes to adjust to the dim lighting
[20:47] <Seko|Void> but after a while they could make out the shapes of various machinery in the dark room.*
[20:51] <gejyspa|Jennel> *rubs her hands on her upper arms* I'm cold. And it's dark. *She shrieks as a small, furry shape scampers across the floor* I don't like it here.
[20:54] <Seko|Void> "I don't like it either, but do you want to eat raw potatoes, or something that's been lying on the ground?"
[20:55] <gejyspa|Jennel> *She shakes her head, then says in a small voice* No, I guess not. *She sucks some more on her filthy fingers*
[21:06] <Seko|Void> *She walks around the room with her, inspecting the rows of dusty machinery before her eyes land upon a coal oven standing by the wall. There's also a wooden crate right next to it, and a glance inside reveals a good supply of coal. She takes out a bit of it and starts warming up the oven.*
Last edited by SekoETC on Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not-so-sad panda
returner
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:11 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby returner » Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:57 pm

MelloYell wrote:if anyone is willing to play, i am willing to set up the mechanics for a cantr forum game based off cantr. it's easy to set up a list of skills and have excel randomly assign charries different strengths and skills. my problem is that i don't know all the in-game skills yet. these are the only ones i know so far:

Building, Burying, Carpentry, Collecting, Cooking, Digging, Fighting, Hunting, Manufacturing Tools, Manufacturing Weapons, Mining, Tailoring

can anyone add to the list?

also, i set my own values for how varying skill levels effect the pace and effectiveness of the job being done.
anyone interested in playing? i can set up some rules too and keep track of the charries that enter the game and the skills they have (so people don't cheat).

if no one is interested though, i don't want to waste my time.
(i tested the system in excel and it was super easy to set up.....15 charries could start right now, really.)


Someone already did something similar, somewhere. mycantr.net or something.
This account is no longer active - please send any PMs to my new one.
User avatar
SekoETC
Posts: 15499
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 11:07 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby SekoETC » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:01 pm

That was only created after MelloYell introduced his idea, but could you stop trying to hijack my topic? This is about irc, forum or other browser games are a whole another subject.
Not-so-sad panda
User avatar
SekoETC
Posts: 15499
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 11:07 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby SekoETC » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:29 pm

[21:47] <gejyspa> *she watches Void's work with interest, and holds her hands up to the oven, and rubs them* That's good. Maybe you are a Mommy.
[21:52] * joward13 has joined #cantr_rpg
[21:53] <joward13> *a door in the back of the room opens up with just a soft creak*
[21:54] <Seko|Void> *The burning coals start illuminating the room with a warm orange glow and soon it starts getting warmer. Once the temperature is proper, she places the freshly dug up potatoes in the oven and closes the hatch.* "Mommy is a good thing, right?" *she starts saying, but at the end of the sentence she's startled by the new sound.*
[21:55] <gejyspa> *instinctively, she huddles closer to Void. She begins to whimper*
[21:55] <joward13> *It is obvious a person is behind the door, but shadow still hides the face.*
[21:57] <Seko|Void> *She takes the girl between her arms, moving her iron shield up to protect them both.* "Hello?" *she raises her voice, calling out to the stranger behind the door.* "Who is there?*
[21:58] * gejyspa is now known as gejyspa|Jennel
[21:59] <joward13> *There is no answer at first, though the person does not seem to move away. They seem to be watching carefully. The raspy voice of an old man eventually replies.* Me.
[21:59] <gejyspa|Jennel> *She looks up at Void's face, looking for some sign of what she should do, how to react.*
[22:00] * joward13 is now known as Old_man
[22:01] <Old_man> Who are you?
[22:02] <Seko|Void> "I am Void. And this is Jennel." *She gestures towards the girl. Her style of speaking is rather strange, seeming to break words into more syllables than there ought to be.*
[22:02] <gejyspa|Jennel> Is this your house?
[22:03] <gejyspa|Jennel> *she clutches Void's waist*
[22:03] <Old_man> Is it yours?
[22:04] <gejyspa|Jennel> *Wordlessly, she shakes her head "no", and inserts her middle and index finger into her mouth*
[22:06] <Seko|Void> "We are not trying to own it." *she explains, sounding more like she said 'ett' instead of 'it', and puts stress on the word own.* "We are only here to cook potaters."
[22:07] <Old_man> *The doors slides open just a bit more.* Potatoes?
[22:07] <gejyspa|Jennel> *nods again*
[22:08] <Old_man> Ah yes. That is what I came for. When did you come?
[22:09] <Seko|Void> "We dug them up outside. Someone had left the project." *She pauses to listen as he speaks.* "I came yesterday. She came just an hour ago."
[22:10] <Old_man> Yesterday... *The man's voice trails off in a whisper. Slowly the door opens wide enough for him to step into the room.*
[22:11] <Seko|Void> *She takes a step back instinctively as the door opens, pulling the little girl along.*
[22:12] <Old_man> *The old man is shaggy. His brown-grey hair is stringy and hangs in front of his face. His hair and long, bristly beard are full of dirt and random particles. He is wearing a raggedy fur coat that is just as bristly and dirty, and furs are wrapped around his feet.*
[22:13] <Old_man> Where you come from?
[22:15] <gejyspa|Jennel> *points vaguely outside*
[22:16] <Seko|Void> "I... came from the void..." *There's a hint of fear or concern in her voice.* "She came from a road."
[22:16] <Old_man> *He stares at the little girl intently.* The void?
[22:17] <Old_man> *He seems to be more interested in Jennel, while speaking to Void*
[22:17] <gejyspa|Jennel> *shrinks back from the intense stare*
[22:21] <Seko|Void> "...Yes. I don't know how else to explain et." *Her voice is quiet and soft but somehow it turns assertive without growing in intensity, and she rivets her multicolored eyes on those of the old man, perhaps trying to make him meet her gaze and leave the child alone.*
[22:22] <Old_man> Well... whatever. Where is not important.
[22:23] <Old_man> *He pulls a crumbling wooden sword out from under his fur coat and steps toward them.*
[22:24] <gejyspa|Jennel> *screams*
[22:25] <Old_man> *The old man jumps back suddenly and looks around.*
[22:25] <Seko|Void> *Her arms tightened reflexively around the little girl as the old man lunged forward, and she clutched the handle of the shield more tightly.*
[22:26] <Old_man> What's the matter with you??
[22:27] <Seko|Void> "Wot is the matter with y-ou?" *she echoes his words sharply, the glow of the burning coals dancing on her eyes.*
[22:28] <Old_man> I'm going outside.
[22:29] <gejyspa|Jennel> *whispers to oid* He's a bad man
[22:29] <Seko|Void> "There are other people outside. You should know. Living people. One of them has a crossbow."
[22:29] <Old_man> Am not... *he mutters annoyed*
[22:30] <Old_man> Crossbow? *Void suddenly has his attention* How many?
[22:31] <Seko|Void> "Five... But they're not a threat unless you're a bad person. At least I think so."
[22:31] <Old_man> How long have they been there?
[22:34] <Seko|Void> "They all arrived after I did. At least I think so."
[22:35] <Old_man> *He walks quickly to the door and peeks very carefully outside.* Crossbow... how long did I sleep...?
[22:37] <Seko|Void> "I don't know... Did you know there were dead people outside? There was nobody alive when I came. The crossbow was on the ground. Alice picked it up."
[22:39] <Old_man> One. One dead when I came. No crossbow.
[22:39] <Old_man> Nobody else. No people. Location was safe. Now... So many people... crossbow... *he shuffles back toward the back of the room and the door*
[22:40] <gejyspa|Jennel> *whispers to Void* He IS bad, isn't he? *looks up questioningly at her*
[22:41] <Seko|Void> "There are lots of dead people now. - Where are you going?" *She raises her voice as the man starts moving towards the door of the back room.*
[22:43] <Old_man> *He seems to completely ignore her.* Lots...dead people...no...too many...no more...no more peope...too dangerous...crossbow...danger... *He slips back into the back room and shuts the door behind him.*
[22:44] <Seko|Void> *She lets go of Jennel and darts after the old guy, trying to tug on the door.*
[22:46] <Old_man> What?? Leave me alone!
[22:46] <gejyspa|Jennel> *shivers in the floor of the corner of the room*
[22:49] <Seko|Void> *She's startled when he raises his voice and lets go of the door, letting it slam shut since he was most likely still trying to pull it shut. The resulting sound seems to fill the whole room, followed by deafening silence only intercepted by the humming of the oven and the silent rustle of vermin in the shadows.*
[22:51] <gejyspa|Jennel> He looked kind of...scared, I think...like he was scared of you and me.
[22:53] <Seko|Void> *She backs away from the door without even trying to check if it was now locked.* "Scared? I know I'm scared too. Not scared of you, of course, but scared of him, or - scared of the unknown..."
Not-so-sad panda
User avatar
Snickie
Wiki/Forum Mod./Translator-English (PR)
Posts: 4921
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: FL
Contact:

Re: Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby Snickie » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Must resist the temptation must resist the temptation must resist the temptation. Wait until the real Cantr comes back up. Its delicious feast will satisfy more if I wait. *nods, unconvinced*

IT SOUNDS SO EPIC (but not as epic as Cantr).

But I know I'll miss too much of the storyline if I try to join now. *nods again, still unconvinced*
User avatar
SekoETC
Posts: 15499
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 11:07 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby SekoETC » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:02 pm

I post everything here that happens, and there really hasn't been any more stuff than that. I'd appreciate it if people who are no longer going to participate would have their characters travel away or die before we come back outside.
Not-so-sad panda
User avatar
SekoETC
Posts: 15499
Joined: Wed May 05, 2004 11:07 am
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby SekoETC » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:59 pm

[01:06] * Snick has joined #cantr_rpg
[01:12] <Snick> You notice a woman in her twenties whom you haven't seen before. She appears bewildered as she stares at her surroundings.
[01:15] <Seko|Void> You are in a grassland location with currently 5 people, yourself making the sixth. The others appear more or less inactive. There are several corpses on the ground, which look like they died recently but there's no indication of how. You also see about half a dozen stone buildings and plenty more that have collapsed out of unknown reasons.
[01:20] <Snick> Whoaa. What happened here?
[01:27] <Seko|Void> No one seems to reply...
[01:33] <Snick> She looks around and she notices the corpses. "Wh- who were they? I..." She trails off uncertainly.
[01:36] <Seko|Void> The living continue standing/sitting around like a bunch of dummies so that leaves you with such options as searching for things on the ground, burying the dead, gathering resources or exploring the buildings.
[01:46] <Snick> Upon noticing that nobody is saying anything, she continues to stare around, before casting her gaze to the potato fields, and then down to the objects on the ground.
[01:52] <Seko|Void> There seem to be some abandoned farming projects, all looking like they were abandoned many days ago, and even a harvester in the middle. As for the objects, most of them are notes. Curiously some of them seem to have suffered from the elements and some letters in the titles have faded. The same phenomenon is visible in building signs. Beneath the mess of notes you can see various equipment that you'd expect people to carry around -
[01:55] <Seko|Void> including several shields, verious bone items, a few pieces of weaponry, basic tools, small amounts of random resources and a few bits of clothing. Some of the dead are also clothed, although most of them are naked and some only have fur and hide stuff.*
[02:02] <Snick> She notices an abandoned farming project and slowly begins awkwardly farming. As she does this, she notices a note on the ground with faded handwriting, and picks it up, scanning it carefully.
[02:12] * gejyspa_away is now known as gejyspa|Jennel
[02:13] * Snick is now known as Snick|a_woman_i
[02:14] <Snick|a_woman_i> She drops the note and abandons the farming, going to stare around at the buildings. Slowly she approaches one and knocks on the door quietly.
[02:15] <gejyspa|Jennel> *Peering from the doorway of the building is the face of a little girl with tangled auburn hair. She looks at the woman* Hello?
[02:17] <Snick|a_woman_i> She tilts her head curiously at the girl, her dark red-brown-eyed gaze intrigued. She brushes aside a stray piece of white-blonde hair from her face. "Who are you?"
[02:19] <gejyspa|Jennel> *She turns away shyly before answering, her index finger and middle finger shoved deeply into her mouth* Jennel
[02:19] <gejyspa|Jennel> *She points inside* Void's in there.
[02:20] <Seko|Void> *As if summoned, she moves over to the door, peeking out over Jennel's head.* "Who is there?"
[02:21] <gejyspa|Jennel> Ummm.. this woman.
[02:21] * gejyspa|Jennel points to the woman.
[02:21] <gejyspa|Jennel> Are you a Mommy?
[02:21] <Snick|a_woman_i> *She peers inside where Jennel is pointing* "You're Void?"
[02:22] <Snick|a_woman_i> *She gulps and looks nervous* "A mommy?"
[02:23] <Seko|Void> "Yes, I'm Void. We are baking potatoes. It's going to take a while."
[02:24] <gejyspa|Jennel> *She nods at the woman* Yes, do you have kids? Any girls?
[02:25] <Snick|a_woman_i> "Void, what an interesting name..." *She turns to Jennel* "No, I don't have kids. At least, that's what I was last told, I think..."
[02:26] <Seko|Void> "Wot is kids...?" *She sounds mildly confused.*
[02:27] <gejyspa|Jennel> Silly! I'm a kid! *she hits Void lightly in the thigh*
[02:27] <Snick|a_woman_i> *She shakes her head* "If I knew, I'd tell you. They haven't told me what they are, but apparently I have none."
[02:30] <gejyspa|Jennel> Are the potatoes ready yet? I'm really really hungry.
[02:31] <gejyspa|Jennel> *her head begins to nod off to one side*
[02:32] <Seko|Void> "It's still going to take a while. If you help me watch the oven, it's going to go faster."
[02:33] <Seko|Void> *She turns to look at the newspawn woman.* There is a weird man in the back room. I don't know if he's going to come out anymore. He looks very old."
[02:38] <gejyspa|Jennel> Ummm.. Okay *Goes over by the oven, sits on the floor, and stares intensely at it* I"m watchin; it!
[02:43] <Snick|a_woman_i> *She glances towards to the back room, then curiously at the oven* "So watching the potatoes will make them bake faster? I've never heard of that."
[02:44] <Seko|Void> "At least we can make sure they won't burn. And one of us can keep an eye on the door and give a shout if the weird guy comes out."
[02:45] <gejyspa|Jennel> *Despite her obvious best attempt,Jennel's eyes keep shutting. She strains to keep them awake, but whether from extreme fatigue or hunger, she seems unable to do so. Soon her head drops to her chest, and she his breathing softly, asleep*
Not-so-sad panda
User avatar
gejyspa
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby gejyspa » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:58 am

(Filling in for Seko, and keeping her time signatures)
04:11 gejyspa|Jennel *Her eyes flicker open*
04:11 gejyspa|Jennel Tatoes ready?
04:12 Snick "I don't know. Are they?"
04:13 gejyspa|Jennel *Reaches out to the oven, then shakes her head* Mommy says *her voice drops half an octave* "Mustn't touch the oven -- it's hot!"
04:15 Snick "Who is Mommy, anyway? Is that one of them?" *She motions to nobody in general*
04:17 Snick "But it's probably not a good idea to touch the oven, anyway, unless you want to get seriously hurt."
04:19 gejyspa|Jennel Mommy is my mommy, she's back home. She's sleeping and she won't get up. I always listen to her, usually.
04:21 Snick "Is it the sleeping sickness? I've heard about that in my time."
04:24 gejyspa|Jennel shrugs
04:25 gejyspa|Jennel Everyone is asleep. I couldn't wake them up, and I was hungry, so I walked to this place and I saw Void, and she said we should get some tatoes and so we did.
04:26 Snick "They haven't told you about it?" *her dark maroon gaze unfocuses for a moment, then refocuses as she hears Jennel talk again*
04:27 gejyspa|Jennel No grown up ever talks to kids.
04:28 gejyspa|Jennel 'Cept to say "Pick up your toys" and things like that.
04:28 Snick "Is that something they've told you?"
04:29 gejyspa|Jennel *shrugs, and turns back to watching the oven*
04:30 Snick "I've never heard of that. Toys exist here? I was told they did not."
04:31 gejyspa|Jennel Well, I had a ball and a dolly, but they got burned up in the fire
04:34 Snick "A fire? How interesting. And when was this fire? How did you and the rest of your family fare?"
04:35 gejyspa|Jennel The fire was before everyone got asleep. What's a fair?
04:36 Snick "Ignore my last question; I shall rephrase. You and the rest of your family made it out alive, then?"
04:37 gejyspa|Jennel Mommy's asleep. She's home.
04:39 Snick "And where is 'home'?"
04:40 gejyspa|Jennel Down the road
04:42 Snick shakes her head.
04:42 Snick "Life has too many roads to say she is just down 'a road.' But I understand what you mean."
04:45 gejyspa|Jennel She's in the other place, the burned place, with all the sleeping people.
04:50 Snick yawns sleepily.
04:51 Snick "I'm really tired. Who knew spawning would be so tiring? Nobody ever told me that." *she sits down on the ground and leans her back and head against a wall*
04:52 gejyspa|Jennel yawns too, and lays her head down on the floor
User avatar
Snickie
Wiki/Forum Mod./Translator-English (PR)
Posts: 4921
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:28 pm
Location: FL
Contact:

Re: Anyone feel like roleplaying over irc?

Postby Snickie » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:40 am

Figured I should post something about my char.


Anima (uh-NĒE-muh)
[not been named yet IG—I hope that's not a 4-day rule violation or something]

She is approximately twenty-five years of age.

"A tall, gangly woman who looks as if she could use a good meal. Her skin is a sickly-looking pasty-white, and she has dark circles under her eyes. Her long, thin, wispy, unkempt hair is platinum blonde, so light it appears to be white in most lights, and it reaches down to her hips. She is not endowed with any flattering features: she slouches and her body looks almost entirely skeletal, though her loose-fitting clothing hides much of this. Her feet are dirty, as she wears no shoes. Her face is gaunt and thin, yet her eerie dark brown-red eyes hold some type of odd intelligence behind them."

She wears:
  • cotton tunic: a loose-fitting tunic made of cotton, which extends down to just below her hips
  • hemp trousers: a pair of durable hemp trousers, which extend to mid-calf
  • crown of daisies: a circlet of woven daisies, which look to have wilted long ago

You can see her holding:
  • an old bone knife, which is shoved conspicuously into the pocket in her trousers
  • a brand new needle, wrapped thickly with sinew, shoved into the same pocket as the knife
  • an empty glass vial, in the opposite pocket
Last edited by Snickie on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Non-Forum Games”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest