Faery Tale Online (FTO)

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Elros

Postby Elros » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:42 am

Miri wrote:MATE, people, MATE!!
(do it like they do on the Discovery channel... :roll: )

:lol:
Every action has a consequence.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:27 pm

Yeah, I was gonna give FTO a go, but had forgotten about it by the time I reached the front of the line.

And, quite frankly, that sort of requirement and the RP that goes around it just doesn't appeal that much.
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:13 pm

formerly known as hf wrote:Yeah, I was gonna give FTO a go, but had forgotten about it by the time I reached the front of the line.

And, quite frankly, that sort of requirement and the RP that goes around it just doesn't appeal that much.

HA! I ain't the only one, dang it!

Those things, hf, are "Player Restriction" and "Poor Community". 8)
Ryaga

Postby Ryaga » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:52 pm

If there was some FTO - Cantr bastardchild crossbreed hybrid where the communities weren't quite so polite I guess would be the word. I'm trying to get this across without insulting anyone. Compared to most internet communities I take part in this community is very carebeary, and FTO even more so. Well ya, that bastard child would be the perfect game :D
QuintC

Postby QuintC » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:19 pm

Hey, guys. I'm on on-and-off Cantr player who is currently getting into FTO, and I'd just like to say a few things, if that's all right.

First of all, I like Cantr a lot, although for various reasons I've never gotten into playing it for long stretches. I also really like FTO. People here should really give FTO a chance, and the people on FTO should really give Cantr a chance, I think.

However, I'm a little disturbed by all the rudeness over on the FTO forums, a lot of which seems to come from Cantr players. Not to say that none of it is reciprocated over there, just saying that I feel that a surprising amount of the hostility originates from players from over here.

The way I see it, FTO is a cool game with a cool community. The statements about the community being made over here, I feel, aren't really applicable to how the FTO community acts normally. Right now, things are pretty heated over there, and when things get heated, any community will act poorly.

That being said, I feel that a lot of the heatedness over there is the result of actions from a few people over here. Dudel, I know that Vaylon's and others' comments about how you should leave if you didn't like the game came off as harsh. I can definitely understand becoming angry and maybe a little rude directly afterward. However, I don't feel that such an incident gives you a blank check to act rudely, not even to Vaylon.

It is detrimental to everyone, not only to Vaylon, if you do that. Worse, it snowballs, and everyone becomes angry, and the tone of the entire forum becomes petty. This ends up being harmful to the actual game. I mean, it is less likely that people will join a game, especially a game as demanding as FTO, if the community is all riled up. And those that have already joined will be put off by the current state of affairs. So eventually, the game dies.

This is not fair to Lumin, for one thing. He spent a bunch of time and he injected a lot of passion into his creation. It is extremely unfair to him to destroy the community, and thus the game, over a personal beef you have with one member. I mean, imagine if you did that on Reveries! Imagine how unfair it would be to chase! Maybe I'm wrong here, but that's how I see that.

Another thing is that it is unfair to those of us who want to play. Destroying the community, which I have found to be otherwise great and perhaps (perhaps) even more welcoming than Cantr, really is deleterious to my, and I would assume others', ability to enjoy the game. It is a game made up of its community.

Finally, this is actually not good for Cantr-style games in general. People will see how the Cantr types react on the forums of, say, FTO, and be discouraged from making their own game in this vein. Eventually, Cantr will die- maybe sooner than later- and I bet you'll want to have other options of games like it to play. At least, I will. Reveries is gonna go big, I know it, but still, my point stands. In a genre as small (basically two games, at the moment) as this, anything that harms one game harms the others.

And Dudel, please do not say that you are bringing to light how horrible the FTO community is with your actions, because you are not. What you are doing is inciting reasonable people to anger. Of course they will react the way they do- they feel attacked, and not because you are shaking their very foundation with incisive points that they had never thought of before. These are intelligent people who have likely considered these things already. The reason they feel attacked is because you are attacking them.

Also, please don't continue to act in the same manner with a cursory apology afterwards. That's all posturing. If you really meant the apology, you would cease to commit the sin.

My suggestion to you, Dudel, would be to continue to play the game. Please do. I know your reputation as a great RPer, and FTO should be glad to have you for that reason. But apart from that, I would say take a nice long break from the FTO forums and chat. Wait for the community, and perhaps you, to cool down. Then come back and state your ideas (and they really are good ideas, I think) in a calm, clear manner. The community will be better off if you do that, and I think that you'll likely get more amusement out of the game that way.

Also, I would really appreciate if you would not badmouth the FTO community on these forums, as it gives people the wrong impression. It does nothing but harm the game, even if you give a little faint praise of it afterwards. Harming the game is rude to Lumin and to the players, as well as detrimental to this genre of games itself.

Other than that, I'd just ask everyone to be thoughtful and not fan the flames, when possible. Please don't jump on others over semantics or misunderstandings, as it is just rude. I know you guys already know this, but maybe it's good to have it stated every once in awhile? I dunno.

I just don't like to see a community, which I see Cantr and FTO as being, destroying itself like this. You guys are all incredibly cool people, Cantr and FTO, and it makes me nauseated to see things going like they are over there.

Sorry for the long message.
Ryaga

Postby Ryaga » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:54 pm

I lol'd

I don't want to know what you think a horrible community is like, because it doesn't get much worse than FTO.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:01 pm

Ryaga, you have no idea. :S
Read about my characters by following this link.
Ryaga

Postby Ryaga » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:07 pm

*Wiro wrote:Ryaga, you have no idea. :S
Oh, I do. I've been lurking the forums for a while, and started posting recently.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:10 pm

Just because of some bad experiences it doesn't make the whole community mean.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Vazalco

Postby Vazalco » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:11 pm

Ryaga wrote:I don't want to know what you think a horrible community is like, because it doesn't get much worse than FTO.

This is a ridiculous exaggeration. There are many, many communities worse than FTO. Right now there are very many reasonable, intelligent, and calm people there.

It doesn't help for you to be contrarian to almost every single post that anyone makes -- that is the kind of thing that is irritating and not conducive to good will at all.
Ryaga

Postby Ryaga » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:23 pm

My posts are all constructive, if contrary. I honestly haven't seen a community like this before. Hell, I can join a CSS server with a bunch of 12 year olds, and if I'm chill and say "GG" at the end of the game, they'd be cool with me.

FTO though, that's not enough. It's not even a great number it's a few people who seem to hold themselves to such a level of elitism that it's ridiculous. They manage to sound like a pompous ass that drives around in a corvette while everyone else does all the work because he got lucky and bought some good stocks. But they're too good for anyone else, anyone who doesn't have that same amount of luck isn't worth bothering with.

If you're going to call someone out for trolling, don't lower yourself to their level and then try to sit atop your high horse, it doesn't work.

EDIT-- Or atleast the smart people see through it. :wink:

Why FTO can't just be accepting and not so anal about things god knows, but they don't, and can't pull off what a bunch of tweens can so : :?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:35 pm

Some things, FTO is a world where gods exist, magic exists, that makes it different from Cantr. Also the game creator reserves a right to affect things inside the game. When players like Dudel express vehemently that such things are bad, of course it makes others turn on defense mode. The answer has been said many times before, the game is what it is, if you can't deal with it then go play something else. If you can deal with it then you may express your opinion once, but repeating it after that is redundant. I haven't been reading the FTO forums recently because it's difficult to see which topics have new replies, since the icons don't change color and all the topics don't even interest me so I wouldn't know what was going on there, but I can very well imagine Cantr players being mean...
Not-so-sad panda
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:22 pm

Yeah I'm just a big redundant ass wipe being mean for kicks. :x

I've "calmed down" as it was "put" but the problem still is there... and will not go away... that problem is not Lumin, his game or the mechanics and operations by which it is run.
Ryaga

Postby Ryaga » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:40 pm

SekoETC wrote:Some things, FTO is a world where gods exist, magic exists, that makes it different from Cantr. Also the game creator reserves a right to affect things inside the game. When players like Dudel express vehemently that such things are bad, of course it makes others turn on defense mode. The answer has been said many times before, the game is what it is, if you can't deal with it then go play something else. If you can deal with it then you may express your opinion once, but repeating it after that is redundant. I haven't been reading the FTO forums recently because it's difficult to see which topics have new replies, since the icons don't change color and all the topics don't even interest me so I wouldn't know what was going on there, but I can very well imagine Cantr players being mean...
Dudel wasn't expressing vehemently maybe his words were a tad bit sarcastic, but only in response to something else.

Criticism is what makes things better, and if you can't deal with as a -player- not even a contributor that the game is far from perfect and that criticism is an important part of the creative process you need to press the little x on your browser and walk it off. This isn't aimed at you Seko, just people in general.
Leo Luncid

Postby Leo Luncid » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:00 pm

W00t! Signed in 264th in line! Somehow I feel fortunate.
Notice how weak and petty we are / In the grand fixture we come afar / Hey we can't help it / No denying the prerequisite for love / Your very existence / You're the source of my substenance / Slow down take your time and feel the / Flow

Return to “Non-Forum Games”