Faery Tale Online (FTO)

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

nateflory

Re: Faery Tale Online (FTO)

Postby nateflory » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:35 pm

yep, I had a birth pop unexpectedly a couple months ago (forgot I still had an account).
parents were starving. Baby tastes delicious I guess. :shock: :evil: :(
I quit for good now.
---------------------------------
"Nature may reach the same result in many ways." - Nikola Tesla
"Dare to be naïve". - "Unity is plural and, at minimum, is two." - Bucky Fuller
Chemosh

Postby Chemosh » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:46 pm

Reading into the game it seems like it has so much potential if it wasn't for two things. Old age death...I hate this concept in games as it is completely unavoidable nor can it be protected against and unlike cantr nothing I found seems to suggest I can turn it off. It doesn't matter if it would take years to reach that point and I'm bound to die before I reach it, that just isn't interesting to me.
The other is making magic hereditary with no chance to learn it otherwise. If it was just extremely difficult to learn if you weren't born with it and you needed a teacher I could live with the concept that some people are just born better at it but being told you can't do a character concept purely because you didn't happen to be born into it is so annoying.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:57 pm

There aren't very many types of magic. There's teleportation that only allows teleporting to places you have been to and named before. There's the ability to see people's given names without them introducing themselves to you. Then there's the combat magic that only triggers at random, so you still need to have a weapon for the times it doesn't trigger. Then there's telepathy that allows talking to people inside their mind, but if the receiver doesn't have telepathy, they have to answer out loud because they can't just think of the answer and have the telepath read their mind. I can't remember if there were other types.
Not-so-sad panda
Chemosh

Postby Chemosh » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:18 pm

SekoETC wrote:There aren't very many types of magic. There's teleportation that only allows teleporting to places you have been to and named before. There's the ability to see people's given names without them introducing themselves to you. Then there's the combat magic that only triggers at random, so you still need to have a weapon for the times it doesn't trigger. Then there's telepathy that allows talking to people inside their mind, but if the receiver doesn't have telepathy, they have to answer out loud because they can't just think of the answer and have the telepath read their mind. I can't remember if there were other types.

They also gave the example of healing magic in one of the things I read I think. I would look it up but they have done a pretty good job at concealing the mechanics of the game, I was able to find out that a female of a certain race always spawns with a specific magic trait but I'm unable to even find the name of the race let alone the ability. It is actually kind of respectable that they manage to keep that much a secret.

Anyways, it doesn't really matter if the magic sucks, the point is that if I wanted to make a courier mage then I have to hope I randomly spawn with the ability to teleport or if I wanted to randomly blast people with magic then I need to hope I spawn with the ability. It is possible to hope that you may stumble into the character concept but with how rare they are pushing it to be that seems unlikely. The first thing I thought of when I heard it was a high fantasy with magic world is "Oh cool, I could be a magic user", it didn't really matter to me what kind or how strong they are just that I could be one then I found out to play I not only have to wait a varying amount of time to be born but then I have to wait quite some time just to see if I happen get some sort of magical ability. If I don't then there is literally no chance for me to ever learn the magic I wanted and then I'm forced to play the character I don't want for who knows how long (I refuse to suicide if I don't get the thing I want). I can put up with not getting to choose my family or name, or starting off bad at a skill or randomly being born in the middle of nowhere seeing all those things can be changed. I can take a nickname, train a skill or move when I get big enough but I could never be a magician in that system unless I happen to born with it.
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:52 pm

Lazy parents starving their children! :evil:
Aduah

Postby Aduah » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:29 pm

I've completely given up on FTO, and stopped logging in. Its just not fun anymore. No one roleplays because there isn't time to.
pulkownikarnold

Postby pulkownikarnold » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:15 pm

My baby character got killed for... being too loud. And another one for no reason. Again.
Is this RP? Lol. Making a decent character description is not enough to call yourself a good role-player.

FTO player base is f**** up when you read things like this.

You can actually travel at 5 if you wish to live a solo life, but do not expect to be able to come back to your village ever again. You do however have to be nice, follow the rules, do what your told, and not get yourself into trouble until you are that age. After waiting 6 months to even be born, is another 30 days of playing nicely really that hard? If so, then why are you still here and in the queue?

Why is this game even alive, I mean it haven't been updated for something like... 3 years? And it's a technological garbage. (Any sane person wouldn't block the right mouse button to hide page's source code, I can just open my developer console in less than 1 second)

It's like cantr, but upside down.
Hommer

Postby Hommer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:55 am

I was born a hobbit and my village seems very role played
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(" )_(" ) signature to help him gain world domination.

5211-1.20: You skillfully kill a hawk using a brand new screwdriver.
Nikarus

Postby Nikarus » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:49 pm

pulkownikarnold wrote:My baby character got killed for... being too loud. And another one for no reason. Again.
Is this RP? Lol. Making a decent character description is not enough to call yourself a good role-player.

FTO player base is f**** up when you read things like this.

One of my earliest characters when I tried to get involved over there was murdered by my village at age of 15. My crime? Interacting with someone else's children without permission, while they were inactive (children were active, the parents weren't). My next character after that was literally created on the grounds of going into a Tarantino-esque revenge spree. But given how mechanically garbage and incomplete the game is, even the idea of murdering that village didn't seem interesting out past a few weeks IRL.

Thing is, it's perhaps one of the most "closed" communities in a game I've ever seen. Many of the users despise outsiders, even if the outsiders are honestly interested in the game. I've seen infants killed off because they stated OOC that this is their first character, and please guide them through how to play" or some shit... Knife to the chest. Because they don't want any new people.

This game cantr... it's got a serious problem with newspawns sleeping to death... and I figure any game of this sort will have some problem with that as people "try" the game, and decide it's not for them... but FTO is even worse, actively driving people out.

Course there might be a couple not so shitty villages out there. I sure as hell haven't spawned in any of them.

You can actually travel at 5 if you wish to live a solo life, but do not expect to be able to come back to your village ever again. You do however have to be nice, follow the rules, do what your told, and not get yourself into trouble until you are that age. After waiting 6 months to even be born, is another 30 days of playing nicely really that hard? If so, then why are you still here and in the queue?

Why is this game even alive, I mean it haven't been updated for something like... 3 years? And it's a technological garbage. (Any sane person wouldn't block the right mouse button to hide page's source code, I can just open my developer console in less than 1 second)

It's like cantr, but upside down.

Apparently the creator started making it for the lulz. And it does have some decent ideas... but it falls completely flat, and the creator hasn't touched it in ages, and never passed the job of managing the game onto someone else.
If the game actually had a real moderator, I'm fairly certain the rate of infant murder would be quite a bit lower. Some basic fixes might be made too. I can't imagine the game is that complicated, unless it's a mess of spaghetti code (a definite possibility).
Andu

Postby Andu » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:37 pm

I reactivated my account some year ago, and completely forgot about it because of the long queue, and now I'm next in line to be born. WTF.

I should have been kicked from the queue for not checking in, is it really that slow?
"An those with little fuel, could tie a pack of bears in front of their limousine, with whip and crossbow in hands to keep them in line."
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:48 pm

As soon as you log in, you are put back in queue, and at the front (unless an account that had been out longer logs in when you do). I haven't played in years, but that was how people would try and make sure they got into certain colonies at one point.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!

Return to “Non-Forum Games”