Dwarf Fortress

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:16 pm

It will be.

Though of note might be the engine update releases. The recent one from last week improves a lot. Zooming screens and other features and another nice fps increase.
BZR

Re: Dwarf Fortress

Postby BZR » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:59 pm

STRIKE THE EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DF 2010 released!

Seems like I will have little time for Cantr in next few weeks/months;)
Arlequin

Postby Arlequin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:22 am

The new version is still a bit buggy. :P
♫ bling! ♫
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:48 pm

One, love the new release, especially the 64bit enabled one. Runs like butter on my monster PC, even in testing/wonky stage.

Two, I have played DF for over 14 years. Today I finally learned how to tunnel through multiple z-levels in an aquifer without sacrificing half of my mining team, or by caving in the ceiling. Or accidentally flooding my fort, etc.
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:23 am

So, current fort.

I embarked with a random crew into a sinister swamp after generating a thousand year history. I wanted to go to 5000 years, but that was going to take days. Pagebits, colonized by migrants from The Tenacious Cudgel - strike the earth! I quickly realized via the civilization tab and the legends viewer that this world was different. Goblins, humans and elves had been driven extinct by aggressive forgotten beasts. Only one dwarf civilization remained left in the world. Humans still showed up from time to time, but only as were-beasts or necromancers.

Pagebits had 3 z-levels until I hit the aquifer: sand, clay, clay. First level, farm, second level housing and workshops. So far, so good...

A were-bear shows up in autumn of my first year. I send my militia to deal with him, but they have only leather armor and wooden crossbows with wooden bolts. Several die, but the monster is killed. But most of the squad is injured. A month later, 5 were-bears begin to assault the fort again. Migrants appear and are drafted to fight the beasts. The beasts all die, again, but the migrants have all died too except for a child, a recruit who fled from battle when her husband was torn apart in front of her, and an injured recruit.

Ruh roh.

More migrants appear, so I draft them into my gutted military. The injured recruit turns into a were-bear. The squad again is mostly gutted except for the coward (who arrived late) and the heroic commander who strikes down the were-bear in single combat without taking a single wound. What a badass.

More migrants waves show up, and life slowly normalizes... until my cowardly recruit suddenly cancels her task, experiencing emotional shock. She's just found her only daughter in their bedroom, drained of all blood. After some exhaustive searching, I realize my militia commander is a secret vampire. I promote him to broker and entomb him in a golden throne room with no doors as thanks for saving my fort, rather than attempting to kill him. My recruit is promoted to militia commander and sent to extensive training. She continues to experience emotional shock, but eventually it will harden her. The vampire is elected mayor three times in a row, ruling from his golden throne/tomb.

The dwarves build a temple to Raunchfilth, the god of muck and rebirth. They engage in frenzied dancing in hopes of receiving his blessing. I break through the aquifer below my fort, finding granite and native gold beneath the blood and mud. They no longer need to trade the trinkets of the dead for gold ore, though steel is another matter.

If no forgotten beasts turn up soon, I may go looking for !FUN!
muidoido

Postby muidoido » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:40 pm

Starting a world. Wish me luck!
Wolfsong

Postby Wolfsong » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:27 am

Strike the earth!
Nikarus

Postby Nikarus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:42 pm

Aah df. Such a great game.

Every time I have to go on a business trip, i usually start a new fort to run on the plane, and at hotels with crappy internet.

Return to “Non-Forum Games”