Dwarf Fortress

This forum is for discussion and advertising of games not related to Cantr II.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

lordcooper

Dwarf Fortress

Postby lordcooper » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:50 pm

I was wondering how many people here play, and if anyone would be interested in a Cantr Successions game?

And if you haven't played yet, what's keeping ya?

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:59 pm

Can't really get into it, takes a little long to start.

Not talking the mechanics I'm talking ACTUAL GAME PLAY IS TOO DAMN SLOW.

Not a bad game and if I'm not paying attention gets.. odd and I've not gotten to far even with the tutorial. The learning curve is too big even with excessive help from the tutorial and other players. :(

But again, I do have it and play once and awhile.
lordcooper

Postby lordcooper » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:02 pm

Gameply too slow?

Have you check your FPS? There's a few ways to speed it up.
BZR

Postby BZR » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:18 pm

This game rocks. I'm currently not playing, I'm waiting for next version. Squads, unending atacks etc.

It really can take a while to get into, I took me few days, but I'm a rogue-like oldguard. People unused to ASCII tileset might get little confused.

Just avoid making fortresses 100+, as they can really overheat your cpu.

edit: belive me, there is nothing funnier than constructing an arena, covered with glass for your dwarves to watch, where goblins fight against your dogs and bears, bought from elven. Or a battle: 10 goblins against one dwarven champion. Lots of cleaning afterwards, so it's good to have a magma pipe to clear it effortlessly 8)
lordcooper

Postby lordcooper » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:28 pm

Hell yeah!

I can't wait for the next release either.

But come on, we need a Cantr fort!
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:43 am

I love this game. Been playing for a while now.
Read about my characters by following this link.
BZR

Postby BZR » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:59 pm

So I sign up, but we must decide on a version. Should we wait for a new release? I guess it will be in... september? T
lordcooper

Postby lordcooper » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:20 pm

I would say to start now-ish, but I've just been reading the Dev page and I'm REALLY liking whats there.

toadyone wrote:06/15/2009: The "stay indoors" order has been removed from the game. It has been replaced with three pre-defined-and-changeable and as many custom alert states as you like. Alert states determine which schedule a squad uses and also have a few parameters defining how civilians behave as well. This means you should be able to make a alert called "Underground Attack" that makes squads carry out whatever plan you have regarding plugging up an invasion of ratmen from an underground layer while the civilians meanwhile cancel their jobs and run up to the highest meeting hall you have, while your alert called "External Siege" might see the civilians run down to your lowest meeting hall while the squads run over to the towers and gates... or just wait for the traps to do their job. That's a later adjustment.

06/14/2009: I was interviewed by one of our forum-goers, Languidiir, and his co-host, A Madman, for the podcast he's started up on the MS Paint Adventures forum. You can grab it from our site here. It is 60MB and four hours of gabbing about DF past, present and future, basically.

Kill orders can be given to your selection of squads and individual units either associated to the critters at the cursor (you can pick among them if there is more than one there), or the critters within a rectangle, or the critters you select from a list, or all of the critters associated to squads at the cursor. Testing hasn't been thorough, so this might change, but right now your dwarves will preferentially target those critters for whom they have kill orders, and they'll seek out their locations if they don't have a target.

Kill orders can be given regarding any creature not directly under your fort's control, though as to why on earth you'd want to kill the elven dignitaries, well, I just have no idea.

So yeah, lets wait for this one.
CantrFreak

Postby CantrFreak » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:40 am

I'm a DF newbie but I'd be interested in this. :D Still haven't been under seige, never really had an army (got eaten by carps, all of them) soo...

But if the next version is in September we could just make one right now for fun... :D
Yaddy1

Postby Yaddy1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:18 pm

Sure I'd join. Ive been with DF for awhile. In fact Cantr was pointed out to me on the Bay 12 forums! (along with Clonk Rage and Cortex Command and every good game I own :D )
TheSupernatural

Postby TheSupernatural » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:12 am

Looks like fun, I'll sign up probably, although I'd like to maybe get to be friends with the Cantr community first lol 8)
They call me "Supah".

<b>www.erepublik.com</b>
Find me as TheSupernatural here.

Ankaux mi parolas Esperanto!
Yaddy1

Postby Yaddy1 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:58 pm

So who wants first year? The next version won't be out until about November so I think we should start before then.
Ryaga

Postby Ryaga » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:09 pm

I love DF. I only ever get to the first siege, and then I get bored, though.
Helmaroc

Postby Helmaroc » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:03 am

DF is the ultimate game...for me, at least.
Yaddy1

Postby Yaddy1 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:09 pm

The new release will be cool.

Return to “Non-Forum Games”