Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

PRUT

wikipedia entry

Postby PRUT » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:07 pm

Hello

Could someone please translate entry of Cantr to your mother tongue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cantr_II

thanks in advance.
Wikipedia gives us quite few new players, so it is worth to have enrtries in every language which is used in game

P.S. Don't forget to add link in MMORPG entries like that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mmorpg
fishfin

Postby fishfin » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:07 am

wikipedia is one of the many sites that the chinese government blocks (so it is kindof anoying whenever someone links to it and I get eror messages saying 'The server at en.wikipedia.org is taking too long to respond.' or 'Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at news.google.com.')
The following statement is not true.

The previous statement is not true.
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:24 am

Would it be possible to post it on http://zh.wikipedia.org/? Or is that watched/controlled as well?
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Torkess_theCommie

Postby Torkess_theCommie » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:40 am

:shock: I didn't know the chinese gov't would block wiki!
fishfin

Postby fishfin » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:36 am

The server at zh.wikipedia.org is taking too long to respond.

at least they don't block cantr, is there even a zh.wikipedia.org?

wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:46 am

Yes, it exists and loaded in several seconds on my computer. (I cut and paste from the URL bar and did a little chopping to make it look pretty.

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E9%A6%96%E9%A1%B5 Without editing. Does that help, out of curiosity?
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
PRUT

Postby PRUT » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:00 pm

Torkess_theCommie wrote::shock: I didn't know the chinese gov't would block wiki!

It is terrible! What's more Yahoo and Google help chinese gov't to do so, as a well as help in finding opposition :evil:

I'm boycoting them!!
Torkess_theCommie

Postby Torkess_theCommie » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:26 pm

zh.wikipedia.org is working fine for me, unless the gov't even blocks chinese wiki?
fishfin

Postby fishfin » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:24 am

still doesn't work...

Sho

Postby Sho » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:33 am

The mainland Chinese block applies to all of Wikipedia, as well as other Wikimedia projects.

Excerpt from a Wikinews article (http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Chinese_block_of_Wikimedia_enters_tenth_week):

Wikinews wrote:January 11, 2006
This article mentions the Wikimedia Foundation or one of its projects. Please note that Wikinews is a project of the Wikimedia Foundation.

The blocking of the Wikimedia project by government agencies of the People's Republic of China has entered its tenth week. The Wikimedia project includes Wikinews as well as other popular sites such as Wikipedia.

First instituted on October 19, this is the third such block in China, upsetting students and researchers who say that it is having a significant impact on their ability to conduct research, and even pass civil service exams. It is unclear why they are using Wikipedia as a sole source for research in the first place.

There is little indication of whether the block is temporary or permanent. As with all Internet blocks instituted by the PRC, government agencies have not commented. Wikimedia has been blocked twice in the past and Wikipedia users have speculated that the two previous blocks, both in 2004, were due to articles on banned subjects – such as Taiwanese independence and the Tiananmen Square Protests of 1989.

Many users in China have been using proxy servers and other means to circumvent the block. Hopes that the block would be quickly lifted, like the previous two times, faded as weeks turned into months.
Torkess_theCommie

Postby Torkess_theCommie » Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:15 am

ouch... but I'm sure there are other sites to research from, I usually never use wiki.
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:53 pm

The Chinese are probably doing their serious researchers a favor by blocking it, if they are trying to use it. Standard peer review is garbage enough, I don't actually trust the validity of a Wikipedia entry on any serious topic.
[/rant]

Propaganda disguises itself in many ways. Each culture has its own filter to the definition.
Lychee

Postby Lychee » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:12 am

有百度百科(Bǎidù Bǎi'kē), subsitutes as wikipedia。 百度百科同"Wikipedia"一样。 但是the articles are probably government controlled.

Baidu Baike (Chinese: 百度百科; pinyin: bǎidù bǎikē) is a Chinese collaborative online encyclopedia hosted by the major Chinese search engine Baidu. The test version was released on April 20, 2006 and three weeks later the encyclopedia already had more than 90,000 articles.

Return to “中文玩家 (Chinese)”