Chinese Wiki

中文玩家-角色外讨论区

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Chinese Wiki

Postby wichita » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:01 pm

Is there enough interest yet in starting a translation of the Wiki into Chinese? I was thinking it would be useful most of all for those of us who are still learning the language and/or switching from traditional to simplified characters.

I have been contributing to the English wiki pages as the resources department has been adding new features, so I have a bit of experience and could put some time in here and there, but some more help transferring the characters from game to the wiki would be much appreciated if we go through with it. Would it be worth the while?
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
johntsai

Postby johntsai » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:14 am

Wichita, if someone else is willing to jump in, the more the better I would think. I'm still in the process of translating the game. (as more things are getting added than I can translate them lately... thanks to you guys :P )

is there anyone else who would like to help out?
Sho

Postby Sho » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:35 am

I don't know Chinese, so I can't do any of the real work, but I'll be sure to keep an eye on things, fix mistakes, etc.
Here's a copy of things I wrote to the people who started the Spanish section of the wiki a while back:

Currently the wiki is not really set up for multiple languages - there ought to be separate wikis for the different languages, so each can use the full range of features in the MediaWiki software without interference. Polish, Dutch and Portuguese players have added their articles anyway. For some months I have been trying to get Jos to create the new wikis, so that the wiki can be split by language in the proper way. I seem to have worn out his patience by pestering him about the language split, but I would appreciate it if you could remind him.

But in the meantime I have no problem with Spanish articles being added - they'll be moved along with the others when the split is made. Start by making an account - there's a "create an account" link at the top right of any wiki page. Then log in and start editing. Look at existing pages to get an idea of how the syntax works. http://cantr.net/mwiki/index.php/Help:Editing has some information and links, as does http://cantr.net/mwiki/index.php/Cantr_ ... ity_Portal.

To start a new language in the wiki, I would recommend adding a link to the main page - right with the other language links, add a line like the following (or whatever "Spanish version" translates to):

[[Version Espanol]] ''(Spanish version)''

Save the page, click on the red link you created, and start writing the new main page for the Spanish version of the wiki. Continue to add links and fill them out to build up the wiki. I check recent changes to the wiki every day or so, so I'll catch any major mistakes you make.
johntsai

Postby johntsai » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:47 am

thanks Sho,

that is definitely very useful.....thank you very much! :o

John
fatamorgana

Postby fatamorgana » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:24 am

I wouldn't mind helping out! This could attract more people who speak only Chinese to play :P
johntsai

Postby johntsai » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:41 am

can both simplified and traditional characters be use? (like 2 separate wiki? :o )
Torkess_theCommie

Postby Torkess_theCommie » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:48 am

I think that would be great to have a chinese wiki, although I can't say wether or not I'd be able to help, been off the computer alot lately, summer break and parents don't want me on so often, well I think it'd be good to have 2 wikis one for simp. and the other trad. but I think we should do one at a time, such as starting simp. and do alot of work for that before starting a second one, or the two would get very little progress if done all at once. I'd like to help if I can though.
johntsai

Postby johntsai » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:52 am

Torkess,

tell your parents you are learning to write/type Chinese by helping to translating stuff, they will probably encourage you to be online more :P
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:05 am

johntsai wrote:Torkess,

tell your parents you are learning to write/type Chinese by helping to translating stuff, they will probably encourage you to be online more :P

Yeah, it isn't goofing off, it's educational and rediscovering your cultural heritage! :D

For most stuff, there shouldn't be a whole lot of text on the page, so I was thinking we would be able to write up each page in both Traditional and Simplified characters side by side.

This would not only save space and help keep things organized, but also help out the group of people who know traditional and are trying to learn simplified.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
Torkess_theCommie

Postby Torkess_theCommie » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:14 pm

yes, I think the two trad. and simp. should be on the same page. Sounds good.

Don't think my parents care whether it's chinese or not, it's if I'm on the computer, but that's ok, I'm always able to find about 2 hours to get on.
Lychee

Postby Lychee » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:23 am

johntsai wrote:Wichita, if someone else is willing to jump in, the more the better I would think. I'm still in the process of translating the game. (as more things are getting added than I can translate them lately... thanks to you guys :P )

is there anyone else who would like to help out?

I would like to help
Torkess_theCommie

Postby Torkess_theCommie » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:10 pm

If someone can start a chinese wiki, like maybe 1 or 2 entries, I'll try to work on the other entries.
Torkess_theCommie

Postby Torkess_theCommie » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:53 am

I'm so proud of myself lol, well I kinda started the front page of the chinese wiki, there will be some grammar mistakes so yea, hope someone can check it out
http://www.cantr.net/mwiki/index.php/%E ... 7%E7%89%88

so far just did the really simple stuff, lol the language select menu and 2 sentences >.< oh well it's a start.

I'm using this site:
http://www.mandarintools.com/
for the characters, since mandarinplanet.com is down I'm using this one.

This is also a great site:
http://www.minmm.com/minc/webime/py.html
johntsai

Postby johntsai » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:08 am

It's a great start, Torkess!

thanks for getting it started....:)
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:19 am

I tried to get things going and lay down a framework for the pages, but I think I need to stop before I muck things up too badly.

So I had this bright idea to name the pages in PinYin rather than characters so that the URLs didn't look completely bizarre in my browser. I thought all would appear well and good if we link to the pages with [[pin1yin1|拼音]] in the page text.

But the problem is that if we do that, then all of the category titles show up in PinYin rather than characters and it just looks ugly. So...yeah, you should be able to see the mess I created already. Sorry. :?

So, someone understanding the wiki better than myself, is there anyway to customize the Category pages better so we can control how the page name gets displayed, or is it just easy to name the pages with characters and deal with the gibberish nomenclature in the URL box?

对不起 Does this post make sense to anyone but me?

Return to “中文玩家 (Chinese)”