How long have you been studying Mandarin?

中文玩家-角色外讨论区

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

How long have you been learning Mandarin?

<1 year
33%
1-2 years
8%
3-5 years
25%
5-8 years
No votes
8 years and above
33%

Total votes: 12
fatamorgana

How long have you been studying Mandarin?

Postby fatamorgana » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:40 pm

Just a poll for my reference!

May I know if you guys are familiar in Chinese idioms, idiomatic expressions or slang too?
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:59 am

I am very new, effectively less than a year. I do manage to learn some idioms/slang as I am being instructed mostly by my Chinese labmates (I also get to listen to various arguments between the mainlanders and the Taiwanese about the correct words and pronunciation to use :D ). For the most part, I just get to learn a little here and there, from various internet resources and a textbook I ordered from Amazon.

I have to say, it is my most entertaining and challenging region to play in Cantr so far, and hopefully I can manage to make my little guy understandable as I am getting used to speaking! :D The one really active character I have met is wonderful.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
fishfin

Postby fishfin » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:23 am

I have lived in China for about eight years... I pick up things here and there...
The following statement is not true.

The previous statement is not true.
Lychee

Postby Lychee » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:24 pm

haha omg I can't speak the language (manderin), way too harddd for me, since Im a Cantonese speaker :) I've been learning Manderin for about 3 yrs.
Last edited by Lychee on Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lychee

Re: How long have you been studying Mandarin?

Postby Lychee » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:25 pm

fatamorgana wrote:
May I know if you guys are familiar in Chinese idioms, idiomatic expressions or slang too?

成語?
Torkess_theCommie

Postby Torkess_theCommie » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:51 am

Well about 3 years... can't say I really actually learned anything though. I'm probably learning more randomely than in class. Well we have chinese school every saturday, and it's 1 and 1/2 hrs long, we're supposed to be doing mandarin for 1/2 an hour and reading cantonese for the first hour, but we end up getting 5 min for mandarin.

EDIT:
I know some idioms, i might even know slang without knowing it >.< well like in english you know some things, but you don't realize it's slang because you always speak in english.
fatamorgana

Re: How long have you been studying Mandarin?

Postby fatamorgana » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:12 am

Lychee wrote:
成語?

Yup!

All the characters whom my character has met can speak Chinese well :) I've been learning Chinese at home and in school from when I was 1 or 2 till I was 16...now I practice it, haha.

Oh and I like your communist hat! Where do you get your communist gear btw?
Torkess_theCommie

Postby Torkess_theCommie » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:30 am

well I've learned cantonese when I first learned to speak, so english is my second language, I didn't learn to read until kindergarten, that's when I started chinese school. Ever since I started school I've been using alot of english and I've neglected to speak chinese, so now my chinese is horrible, well not really, but I understand it like 90% if you speak it to me. I'm really bad at reading and writing in chinese though.

I got my commie hat from ebay.
Torkess_theCommie

Postby Torkess_theCommie » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:47 am

So, I am now officially taking an Introductory Mandarin class online through distance learning. :)

Cantr has definitely helped me improve in reading some Chinese characters so this introductory course is a breeze right now, but it is only the beginning. :)

Return to “中文玩家 (Chinese)”