Dictionary

OOC pokalbių forumas žaidėjams lietuviams.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

AlonsoBR

Dictionary

Postby AlonsoBR » Thu May 17, 2007 1:07 pm

Labas :D
Hi, i have 5 characters living or staying with yours characters, i tryed to find a dictionary to your language but i only found this site. http://led.ot.lt/index.jsp
some one cold tell me one good site?
Portuguese and Lithuanians are nowadays meting them selfs in every spot of the game, so trying to communicate would be nice.
(my English is terrible )

Or maybe tips to how translate some words..
for example...
A one char says to me "keliauju" i copy and paste to get the translation but i cant get anything. to a try the beginning of the word. in this case "kelia" and them the dictonary say some similar words and i discover that is something like "road/travel/travelling/go " word by word i an getting more or less what the charater is saying.
But some words i cant find.
what should i do to find this words?
wejdas

Postby wejdas » Thu May 17, 2007 8:41 pm

I believe there are no professional online english-lithuanian and vice versa dictionaries. You can only find a few experimental semi-amateur ones like the one you already encountered. Here's another example:
http://www.anglu-lietuviu.com/

Lithuanian grammar is quiet complex. It usually has the core of the word with different endings depending on the person, tense, declension and various other grammatical shapes. So basically what you will have to do is try to guess the core of the word and make search in a dictionary, just like in the case of the exmaple you gave with the word "keliauju" (which means "I am travelling" - first person, present tense). Dictionaries usually give the infinitive form of the verb (which in your example would be "keliauti" - "to travel"). Or you could just ask for the translation in this thread. On the other hand, I believe you should try to learn the language by the in-game means. I.e., asking Lithuanian speaking characters to teach you or just learn by listening to the speech and asking around.
AlonsoBR

Postby AlonsoBR » Tue May 22, 2007 12:07 pm

in a place yesterday i tried to warn about a atack. some one who died there could tell me if was able to understand?
Priekabusis

Postby Priekabusis » Wed May 23, 2007 1:10 pm

there also is a slower way :) you can make a thread "pls translate" in here and post a phrase, which wil lbe translated by someone :)

"keliauju" - im traveling
"keliauti" - to travel

also, you can tell that you speak "broken lithuanian" and ask them to use pure infinitive, which would be much easyer to translate with LED , like

"as noreti keliauti su jus" ( i to want, to travel with you(plural) )
Dozess

Postby Dozess » Thu May 24, 2007 9:05 am

AlonsoBR wrote:in a place yesterday i tried to warn about a atack. some one who died there could tell me if was able to understand?

Yes it was quite understandable.
AlonsoBR

Postby AlonsoBR » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:06 pm

a advise to people trying to talk to a stranger.

don't write a huge text and hope that i ill understand in game.
w.w.g.d.w

Postby w.w.g.d.w » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:14 am

http://www.lietpol.pl
Maybe it is good dictionary. :?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:13 pm

Isn't it a CRB to learn stuff outside the game? You should be just actively teaching words one by one to create an in-game dictionary, like dropping resources and saying the name. If emotes are needed, use simple English, I'm sure it's much easier to find English to Portuguese translators than Lithuanian to Portuguese (or Lithuanian to English).
(I have an English character living with the Russians and I mostly don't understand what they're saying. But he's not supposed to understand so it's alright.)
Not-so-sad panda
TheSkyReflection

Postby TheSkyReflection » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:01 pm

I believe he is explaining, not teaching - our language is not easy.
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:30 am

No, it is not a CRB to learn the language OOC, but your character should learn in game any language other than the one it spawned into. Just because you speak fluent English does not mean your Lithuanian character automatically can too.

I notice that Lithuanian doesn't have entries on the emote translation page yet. :) Feel free to add to the chart if you all would like to. It can be quite useful.

http://www.cantr.net/mwiki/index.php/Int_emotes
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
wejdas

Postby wejdas » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:24 am

wichita wrote:I notice that Lithuanian doesn't have entries on the emote translation page yet. :) Feel free to add to the chart if you all would like to. It can be quite useful.

http://www.cantr.net/mwiki/index.php/Int_emotes

Done and done.

Return to “Žaidėjai lietuviai (Lithuanian)”