OOC questions.

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

Peanut

OOC questions.

Postby Peanut » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:24 pm

Could someone from the PD perhaps tell me when and if when what is allowed with OOC messages ingame?

I've noticed an increase of oocness ingame by a few players and that's why I'm interested in this.
Maelstrom

Re: OOC questions.

Postby Maelstrom » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:33 pm

Peanut wrote:Could someone from the PD perhaps tell me when and if when what is allowed with OOC messages ingame?

I've noticed an increase of oocness ingame by a few players and that's why I'm interested in this.

Fantastic question. I've seen experienced players coordinating efforts with others using OOC comments referring to real time, as opposed to trying to maintain a semblance of RP and using Cantr time.

-Mael
Peanut

Re: OOC questions.

Postby Peanut » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:38 pm

Maelstrom wrote:
Peanut wrote:Could someone from the PD perhaps tell me when and if when what is allowed with OOC messages ingame?

Fantastic question. I've seen experienced players coordinating efforts with others using OOC comments referring to real time, as opposed to trying to maintain a semblance of RP and using Cantr time.

-Mael

I've never actually noticed anything like that ingame.

And I was actually referring to ingame pm's using OOC.
Ie explaining why your char did something or what his motives were.

Peanut
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:50 pm

Explaining motives, etc, in an OOC context is very poor play and is not allowed. The only context where OOC comments would be permissable would be to explain some things to a player that is obviously new and has no idea what they're doing or what the game is about, and then only in a private message.

If you see OOC comments being abused/overused, please report it to players@cantr.net, as I would personally like to put a stop to it. OOC usage can completely ruin the game for some, and disrupts the flow of the game for everyone. If you need to explain your characters motives OOC, wait 4 days, and post it on the forum.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:52 pm

Oh, and in regards to Mael's scenario, such OOC usage would definately be a CRB.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:45 pm

Lol... :oops:
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:24 pm

Is it OK to point out privately about changes? One of my chars told another of the sudden usefulness of the wheelbarrow just before he set off on a trip to improve a distant road?
And what about this latest "flute heard everywhere" bug. My char knows someone getting most enthusiastic about the possible uses of sound signals over long distances. I'm inclined to let him experiment and find it don't work, but what are your views on whether to tell him it won't work again?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:22 pm

tiddy ogg wrote:Is it OK to point out privately about changes? One of my chars told another of the sudden usefulness of the wheelbarrow just before he set off on a trip to improve a distant road?
And what about this latest "flute heard everywhere" bug. My char knows someone getting most enthusiastic about the possible uses of sound signals over long distances. I'm inclined to let him experiment and find it don't work, but what are your views on whether to tell him it won't work again?

It's OK to privately or publicly point out changes. It is generally assumed that the information in the wiki exists in the brains of every character, even though some choose to RP ignorance. I know of several characters that use in-game changes as the basis for their personal religion, and tell everyone that will listen when they happen.

I'd also let the guy try and fail. If his player doesn't read the forum, it's not your problem :wink:
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:41 am

It is much preferrable if you can somehow give the information in character about a change........such as "hey, take a wheelbarrow with you, they seem to be useful now". Simple, not ooc......if your char has reference to know this, use it. If not, you don't have to say how your char knows, or perhaps the info came to you in a dream, or from the gods.

Doug is right, explaining motives oocly is definitely not allowed. And ooc messages regarding real time to plan events should never happen. Use Cantr time ic'ly. It's less confusing for others anyways. However, if a player is going to be away and whispers oocly to another char to let them know they'll be sleeping for a few days, this is okay, though can also be accomplished icly usually.

Pointing out a crb to another player using ooc should be avoided as much as possible. Please send an email to the PD (players@cantr.net) and let us talk to them. That way your char won't risk being prejudiced because you avoid letting them know it was you who reported them.

If a new player asks for help, a private ooc message sending them to the wiki and forum, or to contact the PD is acceptable.

Telling players in game of PD cases of others, and of who and how they have been cheating is not acceptable. I am very disappointed to see this type of thing happening. It shouldn't be happening away from the game either.
Peanut

Postby Peanut » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:13 am

Thank you.

My questions have been answered.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:16 am

You know what? Peanut, I know what this situation was and I found it very stubborn and rude of you as a player to reply as you did.
It is my character, the one starting with the letter 'S'.
I explained to you that it was ROLEPLAY, I wasn't telling you ABOUT my character, I was WARNING you that it's Role-played, not actually an angry kid sitting there, and I didn't want it to become a player-fight, because your tone IN GAME started sounding like that.

Funny thing is: my thoughts were confirmed when I heard you speak OOC. You were rude, blunt, sharp and cruel, when I spoke politely and broke no such CRB.

Any contest of this, please reply in question. I'm sure I didn't explain something there so feel free to ask.

Edit: and I noticed no difference between your character’s speak and your OOC speak.. which was my greatest concern proved correct rather than false..

"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

Peanut

Postby Peanut » Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:09 am

We all have our differences.

One person is more offended when ooc is used ingame then another.
I'm one of those.

Could you perchance finally drop this issue?
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:28 am

Of course.

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”