HTML use in notes

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

racz

HTML use in notes

Postby racz » Sun May 14, 2006 2:36 am

Hi,
I´m new at cantr, and I´m loving it.
I have a doubt about the CR, is the use of heavy HTML in notes a CRB? For instance, if I make a to do list using tables, would that be a CRB?

How about using DHTML and javascript for making an interactive map, that shows the info on the location when the map mouse moves over the image?
Sho

Postby Sho » Sun May 14, 2006 2:47 am

Static tables are definitely all right. I believe Javascript is blocked to prevent people from writing notes that do unfriendly things to players, but I don't believe staff has ever said anything against flashy webstuff in general, as long as it doesn't cause trouble.
Agar

Postby Agar » Sun May 14, 2006 5:14 am

I've got a note that has a field of radio buttons and a timer, and keeps score of how many times you press the correct, randomly selected button.

I'm sure that's normal, right? :lol:

There's nothing official laid down, but just use good taste. The radio button game, that would be an example of bad taste.
Reality was never my strong point.
Solfius

Re: HTML use in notes

Postby Solfius » Sun May 14, 2006 8:59 am

racz wrote:How about using DHTML and javascript for making an interactive map, that shows the info on the location when the map mouse moves over the image?

You could achieve the same thing with a Flash animation, which won't require javascript. Whether it would be allowed or not would be another thing.
Hellzon

Postby Hellzon » Sun May 14, 2006 11:08 am

Off site-links would be the one big no-no, I think. Other than that, go crazy. ;)

/Hellzon - not on PD
[21:35] Sunni: no peeing on people in chat!
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Sun May 14, 2006 12:03 pm

Please don't use DHTML or javascript or Flash or ..

Think that you are writting a note - The features in the note should
really be limited to what you can see in on a physical piece of paper -

No flashing images - no interactivity buttons - but colors, different fonts, tables and static images (stored onsite) are all fine
Solfius

Postby Solfius » Sun May 14, 2006 1:47 pm

Chris Johnson wrote:Please don't use DHTML or javascript or Flash or ..

Think that you are writting a note - The features in the note should
really be limited to what you can see in on a physical piece of paper -

No flashing images - no interactivity buttons - but colors, different fonts, tables and static images (stored onsite) are all fine

There's your answer,

For long documents, are links to different sections of the document allowed, a kind of contents page, to improve ease of use?
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Sun May 14, 2006 2:00 pm

Solfius wrote:For long documents, are links to different sections of the document allowed, a kind of contents page, to improve ease of use?

They are potentially the biggest problem because the method used to create such indexes uses the html anchor entity (<a>) - which can also be used to link to any resource on the web including malicious off-site resources. Currently you can use them for indexing/contents purposes and whilst that’s not like a written document , there is no real harm in that function.

However, in the future, we may have to remove <a> entities automatically so don't expect them to always be available. Game and User Security will take precedence over note functionality.
racz

Postby racz » Sun May 14, 2006 3:26 pm

Thanks for clearing the matter for me.

I think the rule about what you would see in a real note is the best guideline in this case.

Before I read the answers, I tried to make a note with a script on it, using a simple button with a onclickevent and with a javascript function. Both worked fine, I think it is the same with the radio button game mentioned here.

Aren´t this resources supposed to be limited for security reasons?

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”