Reporting in-game notes written Out of Character

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:15 pm

Mr. Floyd wrote:You created an ideology? Schmeism?! let's hear more...
not on this thread please...
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Bran-Muffin

Postby Bran-Muffin » Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:04 am

Yes, definatly not in this thread. Take it somewhere else.
Antichrist_Online

Postby Antichrist_Online » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:35 pm

there is a note in Blojt advertising Mozilla firefox.
Mistress's Puppy
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:30 pm

The note is now gone.
west

Postby west » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:17 am

My char just picked up a note in Kirinn Deep Forest entitled "Untitled--Rosa Luxembourg".

The sole contents are about 12 lines from Macbeth's "Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow" soliloquoy by Shakespeare.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
Doodle_Jack

Postby Doodle_Jack » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:07 am

west wrote:My char just picked up a note in Kirinn Deep Forest entitled "Untitled--Rosa Luxembourg".

The sole contents are about 12 lines from Macbeth's "Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow" soliloquoy by Shakespeare.

Does it say that it is from Shakespeare? If not, Rosa could claim she's a writer and wrote it. I always have little trouble with it as long as the character is played as an writer/artist.

For instance, I am really bad at rhyming and such, but perhaps I feel like playing one of my characters as a poet. Then what is wrong with me using real poets? Ofcourse the content should not break the CR (i.r. a poet about airplanes).

Still waiting for the first real Slim Shady in Cantr....
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:50 am

You cannot claim the works of others as your own...it's wrong...anywhere in life

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
mortaine

Postby mortaine » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:27 pm

Since I play a poet in Cantr who meticulously composes her OWN poems.... I have a problem with it, yeah. Cantr is such a young society, works of the like of Shakespeare should not exist. Or you don't consider it a little unfair competition to bring in Shakespeare, the Bard of Bards, and claim that it naturally sprang up out of your own psyche? Feh. I'm writing doggerel because that's what my character-- an experienced poetess herself-- can think up, and you want to steal Shakespeare.

Worse, it's not even original-- I've found "Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow" all over Cantr with many different characters, all attributed to different "poets." How can you possibly think that stealing a real life poet's poem will in any way enrich the Cantr world?

Now, stealing someone else's Cantr-born poem and claiming it as your character's own.... still wrong, but at least it's in character.

My poet collects the poetry of others as well-- any time there's a poem I'm suspicious about, I google for it and don't bother picking it up if it's from the RL. Rationalization for my character: it's very alien poetry, she doesn't get it, and it just doesn't belong in with the rest of the poems.
--
mortaine.
Nick

Postby Nick » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:45 pm

Not only is it stupid, but it's illegal.

No plagiarism.
west

Postby west » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:01 pm

Besides, such a well-known piece of work only makes me feel contempt for the character who tried to pass it off as their own. Couldn't make up anything actually good, but you want your character to make up something good, so you just pick a really-well-known piece and expect everyone IC to be impressed with how good a poet your char is?

Blargh to that.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
Nick

Postby Nick » Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:22 pm

If it was allowed, this thread would probably not exist...
CyboRKg

Postby CyboRKg » Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:49 am

Doim Hrodofic (polish location) note named "Okolice Vlyryan" (non editable) It`s note-map diffirent island! Please remove this note, nobody discover sea way between islands as yet...
brunetka wrote:hmmm.... a ty nie jestes taki twardy jak na obrazku, a nicka wybrałes z przekory? :wink:
NiKnight

Postby NiKnight » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:29 am

I have problems with note too, in my char (Rycerz Ni/Polish location) i have note with JavaScript code and can't delete it (it's created by me :? ). I've tried change content but can't store new text, sometimes i got a database error too.

I think an solution is to remove this note externally (delete from ... where... )
Ni Ni Ni Ni!
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:02 pm

NiKnight, can you please provide the exact title of the note? Then I can detroy it for you.
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:44 pm

CyboRKg - your note is being investigated

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”