OOC songs on the radio

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

*Wiro

OOC songs on the radio

Postby *Wiro » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:19 pm

Are they against the rules or not? This is the song in question. Its lyrics were broadcasted on the radio. As much as I like the song, I'm against using OOC sources in the game. I can appreciate a Cantrian parody of a known work, but this is just copy pasting of lyrics from the Internet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv-xz2hRXUU

Please do not mention the person that broadcasted it in this topic. This isn't meant to be a witch hunt and if the person involved sees this I hope they won't feel offended. It's just that we need to draw a line somewhere for clarity. Just a few days ago we had another person copying songs, that one was arguably worse since it mentioned child birth and Colorado.

I don't intend to get the persons involved in trouble. The rules simply don't cover this appropriately at the moment and I'd like to see it clarified once and for all.
Read about my characters by following this link.
SumBum

Re: OOC songs on the radio

Postby SumBum » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:37 pm

I thought the rules were pretty clear against plagiarism of any works including visual art, music and written stories/poetry.

I've seen plenty of parodies in-game where the post would include an emote of "to the tune of..." or something along those lines but the lyrics were changed enough to not be blatant copy/paste.

edit: Well, maybe not. I thought for sure I'd seen a rule established somewhere but a quick search didn't come up with it. It definitely falls under the rule against using OOC stuff, though.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Auryn

Postby Auryn » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:06 pm

Well, guess who's back. With the mess going on in [you all know where], I'm sure everyone heard the latest "performance." Terrible copy and paste forgot the punctuation, even.
Marian

Postby Marian » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:12 pm

Is it the same person doing this over and over?

....and now somebody just broadcast 'Hello fuckwits!' in binary.. :|
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:17 pm

Zac Brown Band - Island Song

Plagiarizers need their radio usage taken away.
Not-so-sad panda
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:19 pm

If this is the same player posting real songs again then they definitely need a radio ban. Whoever posted binary needs a firm smack upside the head, too.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:22 pm

SumBum wrote:I thought the rules were pretty clear against plagiarism of any works including visual art, music and written stories/poetry.

I've seen plenty of parodies in-game where the post would include an emote of "to the tune of..." or something along those lines but the lyrics were changed enough to not be blatant copy/paste.

edit: Well, maybe not. I thought for sure I'd seen a rule established somewhere but a quick search didn't come up with it. It definitely falls under the rule against using OOC stuff, though.

Hopefully PD will clarify.
Snowdrop

Postby Snowdrop » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:37 pm

Marian wrote:....and now somebody just broadcast 'Hello fuckwits!' in binary.. :|

Thank you from saving me the bother of working it out :lol:
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:53 pm

We're on a roll today. :roll:

4786-2.25: You hear from radio at freq. 100: "My dear friend, 'something' is better than nothing, if you have a better suggestion, please lets hear it. In my area there happen to be repeaters set up everywhere, so that isn't a problem. As for the activity levels, having folks assigned to patrol duty or reporting statuses on the radio could well help with 'activity' levels, both in and ooc.. If really paranoid about jokesters, using call signs or speaking in code would help there."

Maybe I'm reading that wrong but it's either a message that was meant to be OOC, or a character is speaking about whether or not activity levels are in-character.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:00 pm

That's just autocorrect or a typo. Ooc -> out. "In and out".
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:09 pm

I thought about the possibility of a typo, but it made less sense to say "activity levels both in and out" ..of what? And I'd be more inclined to think ooc would be autocorrected to out versus the opposite.
Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Pilot » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:56 am

Thanks for reporting.

Please consult the wiki for clarification regarding the use of Radios here: http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Radio and here: http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/OOC
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:58 am

Those don't answer the main question of this topic: are real life songs okay to use in Cantr, be it on the radio or elsewhere? The rules page doesn't clarify this either.
Kyriel

Postby Kyriel » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:01 am

It would not bother me so much if they'd at least change the names and some of the words. And maybe, just maybe, formatted them so that the words don't run together without spaces? :evil:
Marian

Postby Marian » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:03 am

Kyriel wrote:It would not bother me so much if they'd at least change the names and some of the words. And maybe, just maybe, formatted them so that the words don't run together without spaces? :evil:

What, you mean to tell me there's no Bacardi in Cantr?

But yeah, what Wiro said. I've seen the wiki pages, neither one answer the main question of this topic.

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”