What do I have to do to pull a CRB?

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

Cwalen

What do I have to do to pull a CRB?

Postby Cwalen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:25 am

Will reading the wiki, to get a slightly outdated view of game mechanics work?

Or will one of my characters who has not had exposure to the required machines to have the knowledge be sufficient?

Does one of my characters have to attempt a project to be allowed the knowledge that is available to all players before it is not a CRB?

Is the line exploiting OOC, cross character knowledge, for personal (character) gain?

Massive breaches, (running 15 characters on each of 30 accounts and handing one another things) are obvious.

Can I raise an OOC clan? you know like half the more experienced players can pick one another, and talk on irc and in the forum? If not how overt does it need to be to be a CRB?

If someone uses a flicker image in a note and fails to secure the flicker account, shall I report for execution as well as informing them that their account is not secure?

Tell me it's the line of personal profit, and I'll carry on.
Tell me it's an absolute and I'll call half you out.

Just want to know where the line it.
The avalanche has begun, it is useless for the pebbles to vote.
gejyspa

Re: What do I have to do to pull a CRB?

Postby gejyspa » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:21 pm

I can't speak for the player department, but it seems to me the line has nothing to do with "profit". I think it's pretty well spelled out in http://wiki.cantr.net/index.php/Game_Rules To sumarize -- using information information known to one character of yours, or to you, to influence the actions of another character of yours to whom that information is unknown. Also the four day rule. It's accepted that you can use information in the wiki, if you like, without a CRB. But you don't need to accept that leniency if you don't want to.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:22 pm

I don't know why it's so difficult to some people. You can use any information that would be known by viewing menus in the game, be that build menu or machine projects list, this information is (or should be) on the wiki and thus available for everybody.

People are not supposed to plan events or form groups outside the game. It gets difficult if one learns OOC that a group lives in a certain location/on a certain region, then people could accuse them of using OOC information whether or not their character goes there, because if they don't go there, one could say you were avoiding it on purpose, while if you do go there, they could say you went there on purpose, but one should always think from the perspective of the character, what is this character searching for? Is it trades or certain resources or just people to socialize with? If resources, they would look at a map and go to the nearest source, unless they have IC information that the source is an unwelcoming place. If it's trades or socializing, they would pick a route and in case of sailing, stop in every place along the way, or at least every place that has a harbor, unless the previous locations have been empty, then it might be reasonable to assume that the next ones will be empty too. If someone sails past several locations without stopping and ends up in a place where their other character is or their friend's character is, that's going to look suspicious. Likewise if someone stops in every town but skips the one that has unfriendly people without knowing this IC, it's also going to look suspicious.

As for flickr accounts, I'm not sure what the unsecure account thing means but in general people should avoid using offgame image hosting because eventually they are going to go inactive and then people can't access the image anymore. People just tend to use them because Cantr doesn't allow big images and they don't want to split them into pieces or compress them properly. If images hosted outside the server were suddenly blocked, a lot of existing maps would break and information would be lost, but I assume it wouldn't be possible to auto-upload them.
Not-so-sad panda
Cwalen

Postby Cwalen » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:35 am

Thank you, that answered all my questions.
The avalanche has begun, it is useless for the pebbles to vote.

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”