Non stopping roleplay disturbance

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

Pilot
Administrator Emeritus

Non stopping roleplay disturbance

Postby Pilot » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:24 pm

There's a character locked inside a building in Mianir that doesn't let us play. He has knocked in the door/send notes outside non stop since yesterday and I ceased counting at 318 times in a row.

I have already reported this to support.
Cdls

Postby Cdls » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:03 pm

Well, if you were locked up, wouldn't you be a little annoyed as well?

I feel this is an in game issue that needs to be handled in game. If you (or whoever) locked this character up without the proper facilities to negate this, then that is the problem your town has to deal with.

If it wasn't your character, complain to the town leader and the person that locked them up.
Ice-Man

Postby Ice-Man » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:09 pm

I once read that person is supposed to knock only 4 - 5 times untill it becomes a spam and PD issue.
ImageImage
Cdls

Re: Non stopping roleplay disturbance

Postby Cdls » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:23 pm

I once read that Bigfoot was real... :lol: :lol:

Joking aside, I personally will not bother with these type of cases as I feel it should be handled in game, spam or not. In fact one of my own chars went through this, notebombed like crazy, nonstop knocking...the solution? Cleared out a different building with a deeper room and let the annoyance happen no more...hence, handling in game.

To me, this is something that could provide deeper RP elements, it will give cause to decide if you are equipped to handle certain criminals, and if not, seek help from outside towns. It will cause citizens to be pissed at leadership for not doing a better job. So all in all, if you cannot handle locking someone up, don't do it.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:43 pm

It's extremely annoying for people with limited playing time. Especielly cleaning up 500+ spam notes from the ground, but also to scroll through 100's of lines of pure idiocy to see the "normal" events (and maybe even miss out on some of them).

IMHO it should be addressed.
Cdls

Postby Cdls » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:05 pm

I agree, it should be addressed, but in game.

If it is such an annoyance, let the prisoner out.

And I -am- one of those people with limited playing time, so I know firsthand how it is to have to go through all that crap, but I also know that there are plenty of options in game to handle it, and that if I wasn't willing to, then I shouldn't lock the person up and then run crying to PD to deal with them when they (the prisoner) is expressing themselves the only way they now can.
Snake_byte

Postby Snake_byte » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:57 pm

This is a CRB. The limit for knocking on doors and dragging notes per, IG hour, in this sort of situation -is- 4-5 times. That's 4-5 times, every three RL hours...
Another way to avoid or discourage this behavior, are "Cells" inside your Jail/Prison. They can knock and drag notes all they want and not bother anyone...
My old banner ;)
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:14 pm

I doubt anyone has ever been let go just because they were notebombing or knocking excessively. They only earn themselves a quick death or being dragged into a room where no one can hear them. You'd think that characters had a natural need for human contact unless they happen to be autistic, and some sort of self-preservation. I think it shows ignoring or being oblivious of the feelings of the character if you'd rather have them killed by their captors than do things that don't benefit yourself or aren't according to your own plans. If the character hates the situation and would rather die, have them punch themselves every day or use any weapon available, some jails have bones lying around so you can make a bagh-nakh. You can also plead others to kill you, but never use the copy note button, always type each note separately so you're less likely to be flooding. While if you want to be left out, it's better to pretend you're cooperating in order to win their trust. For example one of my characters was put to work in an unlocked building and allowed to keep her crowbar since her captors assumed they'd be able to catch her if she run because there was always a guard outside and they had vehicles. But she managed to escape anyway.
Not-so-sad panda
Piscator
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Piscator » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Cdls wrote:I agree, it should be addressed, but in game.

And I -am- one of those people with limited playing time, so I know firsthand how it is to have to go through all that crap, but I also know that there are plenty of options in game to handle it, and that if I wasn't willing to, then I shouldn't lock the person up and then run crying to PD to deal with them when they (the prisoner) is expressing themselves the only way they now can.

I think your point of view is wrong. Note bombing and knock spamming can never be a legitimate way to react to an IG event, since they don't target the characters, but the players. A character would probably ignore a prisoner kicking and screaming in his cell, but the player can't ignore a hundred knock messages.
Pretty in pink.
cantrlady

Postby cantrlady » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Piscator wrote:
Cdls wrote:I agree, it should be addressed, but in game.

I think your point of view is wrong. Note bombing and knock spamming can never be a legitimate way to react to an IG event, since they don't target the characters, but the players. A character would probably ignore a prisoner kicking and screaming in his cell, but the player can't ignore a hundred knock messages.

I agree - it should be addressed - by the PD.
Cdls

Postby Cdls » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Piscator wrote:

My POV is that in game things like that should be handled in game by constructing better holding facilities and so on, and I do not believe that to be wrong at all. I do concede that I was not really taking into account the "PITA" factor at having to sort through all the interface messages though, and admit I was wrong on that front and apologize.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:00 pm

Alright, I thought I had replied to this post, but apparently it was lost in one of the many redos of the board.

It is and always has been the PD's policy that note bombing and excessive knocking are to be addressed. This is the currently policy, was the policy when I was in the PD, and I don't remember it being changed. Just as machine sabotage is addressed as a minor bug-exploit, so is this.

Locking.

Alf sent the names of the characters to support. Their players need to be contacted and told spamming isn't proper Cantr etiquette.

PS - @Cdls - even if they were isolated, that doesn't stop some character from having to pick up hundreds or thousands of notes off the floor after they killed them.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”