Magic User

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

Dudel

Postby Dudel » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:04 pm

joo wrote:You can write anything you want outside of the asterisks (not literally, of course - the CR still applies to speech), but when RPing something, it has to be something that is physically possible and within the mechinics of the game. If you RP doing something that affects other characters physically, or something which your character isn't able to do (for example, *jumps 50 metres into the air and lands gracefully on her feet*) then you are putting other players in a difficult situation when they have to make up an excuse for what you just "did," or ignore you and/or send you an OOC message. None of these are conducive to good gameplay.

I think if maybe you do something like "*the sun glints off the item making it glow slightly*

Then maybe you might get away with your behavior however you should try and avoid thing that your character didn't actually do. They can't make the ring shine, they can't make music notes sound better, they can't make the wind blow.

You really should watch how you do this.

Magic Dude says: "This ring is perfect. *rubs ring and gasps in excitement* There did you see it shine? That is your magic power."

This way you see a shine and didn't really impose anything on the other player. After this its up to them to eithor play along or call you a loon.

Magic Dude says: "*draws a circle in the dirt* (Magic words) *pauses* There I feal the wind moving faster now. *looks at the people around him* That is the power I have.

Then again its the other players turn to eithor say something like: "I did indeed feal the wind but I am sure that was not your doing." Or: "What wind? You sir are crazy and should be locked up." Also you could play along.

You say: "I did feal the wind... You sir did that? *brakes to his knees* I believe in your powers sir!"

I guess what I'm saying is... watch how you rp it. Not a CRB!
Andu

Postby Andu » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:04 pm

He said this:

2457-2.18: ****** says: "(OOC: Well since Cantr is built around rp'ing I dont see what the problem is with rp'ing something like that. I am not making up objects that don't exist, I am simply adding my touch to something that is there. For instance when the wind blew harder, that could have just been a coincidence to a non-believer, but to ***** it was his Magicka, also when he held the rind up and made it glow, one might say it was the sun reflecting off of it. All I am saying is that I am not conjuring up some creatures that don't exist, or making myself a pile of gold, I am simply using what is there and enlarging my own perceptions about it. Wether or not you believe it was Magicka or simply coincidence that made the wind blow, well that is left up to your character to decide. I don't see what the problem is with a little imaginitive rp'ing, I mean that is what rp'ing is all about. I believe alot of players lose the rp'ing aspect that Cantr was founded on and strictly treat it as a game where they can build houses, boats, and cars. What do you think?)"
"An those with little fuel, could tie a pack of bears in front of their limousine, with whip and crossbow in hands to keep them in line."
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:39 pm

Bah. I disagree. And did he use any cool magic words? :O
If not, even more bah.

I hate people who claim to be able to use magic but just do "MAGIC! WOOOOOSHHH" instead of "Walking down the lost one's path, remembering the wolves' howling - Spell of Justice, torn apart by wolves!"

And then just hope a wolf randomly attacks someone. :)
Read about my characters by following this link.
Dudel

Postby Dudel » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:21 am

Andu wrote:He said this:

2457-2.18: ****** says: "(OOC: Well since Cantr is built around rp'ing I dont see what the problem is with rp'ing something like that. I am not making up objects that don't exist, I am simply adding my touch to something that is there. For instance when the wind blew harder, that could have just been a coincidence to a non-believer, but to ***** it was his Magicka, also when he held the rind up and made it glow, one might say it was the sun reflecting off of it. All I am saying is that I am not conjuring up some creatures that don't exist, or making myself a pile of gold, I am simply using what is there and enlarging my own perceptions about it. Wether or not you believe it was Magicka or simply coincidence that made the wind blow, well that is left up to your character to decide. I don't see what the problem is with a little imaginitive rp'ing, I mean that is what rp'ing is all about. I believe alot of players lose the rp'ing aspect that Cantr was founded on and strictly treat it as a game where they can build houses, boats, and cars. What do you think?)"

I know what he said... I was there. :shock:
I don't OOC <b>EVER</b> it hurts the game.
I say he is not CRBing he needs to word his 'emotes' better is all I am saying.
This also implys that eithor he is an older player or a returning one.
joo

Postby joo » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:44 am

His problem is that he does not seem to understand the objective nature of emotes - they have to be able to be read by any character hearing them as a fact - if somebody emotes *nods* people don't have the choice to think "oh it looked like he nodded there, but then again he might have just been imagining nodding." Since an emote is literally a description of a something a character does themselves, it cannot control the weather, make objects glow, or whatever, however the character can imply that they believe that these events have happened through their speech or actions.
QueenofBlades

Postby QueenofBlades » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:32 pm

I have a coupla charries who believe they are magic, just as I have some who are no-nonsense types. Basically, I base it off of the real world--like a religion, almost, you take the 'magic' and bluff as hard as you can. I have a charrie called Old Soul who has powers over the dead--and there's no evidence to the contrary is there? No. Just like IRL. We can't prove there's no such thing as ghosts or someone elses god, but we think they're crazy--or we believe it.
Old Soul talks alot about how the spirits "clog me head" and make her "drunk" or "in a trance" for hours--basically explaining why some characters seem to be doing things but just sit there and don't do anything, don't talk, just "work on project" for hours--just the same reason people came up with magic and ghosts and (some could argue) religion IRL.
So I totally use magic in some of my charries. I don't thing it's necessarily CRB but it needs a light touch. :]
Sketchified.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:00 pm

If someone claims their head is clogged with dead spirits or something, no one can tell them that's not true, but if someone rp's shimmering or levitating then that's forcing things on other people.
Not-so-sad panda
Songthrush

Postby Songthrush » Tue May 05, 2009 4:19 am

Seko, I guess you're not familiar with the antics of David Blaine.
(which include both of the things you mentioned and more, and are quite real-life indeed.)
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue May 05, 2009 4:25 am

You're right, I'm not familiar with that person. Someone might be able to create an illusion of levitation by using some hidden support, or shimmer by using chemicals, but other than that it would require powers of spirits and such don't exist in Cantr.
Not-so-sad panda

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”