A question about a possible CRB

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

*Wiro

A question about a possible CRB

Postby *Wiro » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:16 pm

Now, I have this character. A dutch one who is able to talk both dutch and german. She did NOT learn this in-game. It was just my own german talents.

I recently saw a topic that discussed things like this. And it is apparently not allowed. Now I won't make another character like that again, but I feel like making her stop talking german would just ruin her.
She's not the kind of person that would just forget something.

What should I do?
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:22 pm

The general rule is that if a char has been in contact with another language char for 3 Cantr years, that's long enough to pick up the language. So, if this char is important to you, perhaps you could limit the German speech until this time is up, gradually increasing the amount. Depends how fluent he's been so far, I guess.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:29 pm

She's just as good with german as I am.
Which isn't that great. But it's possible to understand what I'm saying.
I'll try to limit it from now on, but it'd be so weird if I talk to the german people I saw before again and simply ignore them or talk to them in dutch.

That would ruin the roleplaying more than the fact I sorta break the CR.
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:13 pm

I would like to see the possibility of spawning multilingual chars, but currently it's not allowed, even in the multilingual spawn zones. The spawn language you chose for your char is all he knows, and any others you happen to know as a player are considered ooc knowledge the same way maps, history, and experiences of your other chars is. The problem is that it give you an advantage over monolingual players spawning in the same region. We ask you to mitigate that advantage by actively roleplaying a language learning process for a minimum of three Cantr years.
trexdino

Postby trexdino » Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:55 pm

I have my own question on this. What if one of my characters has delt with various people who speak a different language, does that all add up even though it wasn't at the same time?

It was like 2 years with one person
Half a year with 3 different people
And then various days with newspawns speaking this language.
When you hope for something, you often believe in something. When you believe in something, you often have pride in it. Being proud often leads to a hating of some group.
As you can see, the Jedi are hypocrites.
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:07 pm

The point is that you rp learning the language, and your char doesn't automatically know it. Cumulative knowledge from speaking with different people should work the same as it does irl.

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”