Public CRB investigations

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:21 pm

Even if there's a note and the forum is removed, they might not notice it as readily as a forum..
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:38 am

To address the motivation for the public discussion as SCUBA posted, perhaps it would be useful for PD to periodically write up a public report of interesting cases - both of confirmed CRBs and refuted CRBs. The reports should of course be neutralized in terms of names, locations, players, even specific resources and equipment to protect IC events as much as possible so that the legal precedents could be shared with the public as a teaching tool.

This is basically what Doug had initiated through the WebZine before, but having cases discussed here would broaden the audience.

Having the report made through PD would help cut down on the flame wars and hopefully maximize the informative nature of the suggestion, while still maintaining the PD policy of not publicly discussing cases.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:26 am

Hmm, perhaps not, as it may even give new ideas to players to CRB,
'Ah thats where he got caught, and I can do better in this part of his cheat attempt' etc.
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:48 pm

I like Wichita's suggestion ... It's yet more work for an already overloaded PD, though ;) ...
Redbeard

Postby Redbeard » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:01 pm

Write ups of CRB examples would be really beneficial to the newcomers...

I remember seeing CRB when I first started and had no idea what it meant or what a CRB was... any example would have helped me understand...

Now I know... :twisted: so I do a great job to hide my CRB's from view...
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:24 pm

Wichita suggestion is cool!

Maybe, the work of the PD member's over a particular case can be recorded in some semiautomatic way so it can be postprocessed easily.

Anyways, don't think that it would be a perennial task. It is supposed to be enough with a few examples to demonstrate what is and what is not a CRB.

(*) replacement of names of places, characters and objects (yes, for example to substitute "battle axe" by "weapon" and "sugar" by "resource" so it is even more difficult to allocate the success after reading the report).
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
cantrlady

Postby cantrlady » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:20 am

I like Wichita's idea as well....a good compromise.
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:31 am

Of course you do! :lol: Care to be seconded to write them?
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:58 pm

:)

You all shouldn't have to report every single case, only the hallmark Supreme Court style cases. Do truly unique and unprecedented cases come along all that often? It would take a lot of work to get it started, but after a while I would think it would become fairly low maintenance.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
cantrlady

Postby cantrlady » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:02 am

Oasis wrote:Of course you do! :lol: Care to be seconded to write them?
:shock:
johntsai

Postby johntsai » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:30 pm

noticed how the conversation just stopped when Oasis asked someone to do the actual write up? :p
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:35 am

Well, as the backlog of "important cases" is astronimically huge... just make it a new work in progress, ignoring the past precidents in the thread, and simply adding on new ones as they come to add clarity that will eventually be created though it...
Scratch and sniff text
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:04 pm

Even then it's a lot of work. It wouldn't if the PD was well staffed, but it's a tight department in terms of personnel ...
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:33 pm

I would imagine that the lack of staff is not due to people not wanting to help, but because very few people possess the ability to stay calm and professional when running into people who are spoiling the game from others by using OOC info or communications against them. Especially if someone does things like that on purpose, repeatedly, after saying they wouldn't.
Not-so-sad panda
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:05 pm

SekoETC wrote:I would imagine that the lack of staff is not due to people not wanting to help, but because very few people possess the ability to stay calm and professional when running into people who are spoiling the game from others by using OOC info or communications against them. Especially if someone does things like that on purpose, repeatedly, after saying they wouldn't.

YYYYES.

It is inconceivable for me... If I was a PD and run into people who are spoiling the game from others by using OOC info or communications against them... I don't need to stay calm. He, the cheater, is who has to be nervous, since he is who is about loosing his account.

So... Am I among those people that doesn't posses the required ability?
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”