is this a CR breach?

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:14 pm

My two oldest characters spawned at or near the same town, and have both lived there, without leaving, for their lives. Neither of them are particularly active, so they've never had any contact.

It's fairly easy to avoid co-operation unless the location is nigh empty (in which case, why would there be much reason to go there?).
What's difficult is avoiding RPing with the wrong character... Not really any graceful way of getting by that...
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:32 pm

I have managed to have two even three characters in the same town at various times and keep their interactions, knowledge, and goals separate, which is the important point, but it does take a lot of work. It has been fun carrying on conversations with my multiple characters and having everyone else about me completely oblivious that it is me in stereo. :)

Just to rephrase the answer to the age old question once again..... It isn't against the rules for your characters to be in the same town / chat with each other. It is against the rules for your characters to give each other information or goods that will give your own characters an advantage over other players.

If your character 1 is in town A and you think, "Wow! It would be great if my character 2 were here to find out about this.", then move character 2 over for the sole purpose of finding out the piece of game information, that is against the rules.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
deadboy

Postby deadboy » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:03 pm

I find it impossible to stop my characters interacting if they are in the same town and so I find the only way to stop it is by "Shutting-off" A character whilst another character is there. Once the other character passes by I then wake them up, or sometimes I wake them up and make the other character fall asleep
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we" - George W. Bush
Mykey

Postby Mykey » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:09 pm

deadboy wrote:I find it impossible to stop my characters interacting if they are in the same town and so I find the only way to stop it is by "Shutting-off" A character whilst another character is there. Once the other character passes by I then wake them up, or sometimes I wake them up and make the other character fall asleep

I honestly think interaction shouldn`t be barred completely, for instance. I have a character getting ready to travel for oil. I do not have, another character that could help me if I wanted to, but..... What If the closest source of oil was a dictatorship under my control? No trade or gathering without my approval? Should I really have to build a boat, go off continent to find oil?

This is one of a million situations that could arise. There should be legitimate use, if you actually talk it out, and it is not abused. I think. Obviously you should contact PD, and tell them what you are doing, and why. They are charged with the final decision?
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
deadboy

Postby deadboy » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:20 pm

No I disagree. The only times when my characters really come together anyway are when major events in thier lives are unfolding... I don't know why this is but trust me it's true, it might be something to do with them only really travelling when something major is up I'm not sure, and anyhow interaction during these tends to mess things up.
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we" - George W. Bush
Mykey

Postby Mykey » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:24 pm

deadboy wrote:No I disagree. The only times when my characters really come together anyway are when major events in thier lives are unfolding... I don't know why this is but trust me it's true, it might be something to do with them only really travelling when something major is up I'm not sure, and anyhow interaction during these tends to mess things up.

I really fail to see how. If you do not act to hoard the wealth you aquire, you are really just benefitting everyone.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
deadboy

Postby deadboy » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:28 pm

Well...... let's just say that I've gotten into trouble for it before, a long time ago yes, but since then I have had many occasions where I would probably IC interact and do certain things but I have stopped myself from doing so.
deadboy

Postby deadboy » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:29 pm

Or another example is that recently one of my characters may well have killed another of my characters, but CRB or not I decided that was too much interaction ;)
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:58 am

This is one of a million situations that could arise. There should be legitimate use, if you actually talk it out, and it is not abused. I think. Obviously you should contact PD, and tell them what you are doing, and why. They are charged with the final decision?

This just happened to me. I assigned one of my subordinates to negotiate the trade. Problem avoided.

Or another example is that recently one of my characters may well have killed another of my characters, but CRB or not I decided that was too much interaction Wink

There is nothing wrong with working against one of your own characters, just working with them (provided you're not killing them as a favor to yourself).
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Mykey

Postby Mykey » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:16 am

Doug R. wrote:

This just happened to me. I assigned one of my subordinates to negotiate the trade. Problem avoided.

You assume, I have the luxury of subordinates. :wink:

Mafia Salad

Postby Mafia Salad » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:19 am

Find some subordinates, traveling alone isn't safe ya know.

If that isn't you char's way, there are always ways to avoid a sticky situation. Why do you need to go for oil right now? Can you make other sensible priorities and see if the situation changes on the other end? If someone else is sending you, you can refuse or get them to set up preferred trading rates in a note.

That was about 20 seconds worth of thought for alternatives, give yourself a few minutes and you can find a good compromise for all possibilities, the only trouble I seem to have ever ran into was keeping chars out of the same multi town organizations, but even that isn't to hard to avoid while keeping in character with a bit of creativity.
Fortune Cookie Says:
You should consider a career change, you'd make an excellent doormat.

[quote]1441-7: You skillfully kill a racoon using a broom.[/quote]
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:03 pm

You are right, Mafia Salad, always try to think of alternatives to avoid the interaction, if possible. However, there are instances where you can't reasonably do so, and in these cases, giving the PD a heads up (via email) is a very good idea.

In your situation, Mykey, if someone is sending you, and your dictator has no subordinates, you have little choice. Make sure the trade is a fair one. I guess this would go for if someone is sending you or not, for if you need oil, and there is no other viable alternative location, then you have little choice in the matter.

If you are trading in general in a town where you have another character, and your other character has what you're looking for, or needs what you have..........number 1, you cannot send your trading char there on purpose just to benefit your other char. Number 2.......you must call out the requested trading outloud, and give other characters the chance to trade with you first. If, after a couple of chances and a couple of days, no one takes you up on it, then it is okay to trade with your own character, as long as the trade is a fair one for both sides.

One comment related to your question, Pie. Not only is it a CR breach to have more than one character in the same government/company/religion etc., but it is also a breach to have more than one character actively supporting the same issues, political or social of the same area. This can be a tricky one, if you have chars in different towns, and the issue becomes far reaching, and both chars would naturally be on the same side of the issue. Just be careful and try to have one of them not "actively" pursuing or supporting it. (Am I making any sense? I am in my own mind :P )

However, in your situation, Pie, if it is something like the above, and your first char is already active in the issue DO NOT SEND YOUR OTHER CHAR! That would be a serious CR breach. If your char that already lives there is not involved whatsoever in the reason your second char wishes to go, then it may well be okay. It's so hard to say, without knowing the details.

If you would prefer a better answer, you can write the PD with those details, so we can better inform you.
Mykey

Postby Mykey » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:46 am

Oasis wrote:You are right, Mafia Salad, always try to think of alternatives to avoid the interaction, if possible. However, there are instances where you can't reasonably do so, and in these cases, giving the PD a heads up (via email) is a very good idea.

In your situation, Mykey, if someone is sending you, and your dictator has no subordinates, you have little choice. Make sure the trade is a fair one. I guess this would go for if someone is sending you or not, for if you need oil, and there is no other viable alternative location, then you have little choice in the matter.

If you are trading in general in a town where you have another character, and your other character has what you're looking for, or needs what you have..........number 1, you cannot send your trading char there on purpose just to benefit your other char. Number 2.......you must call out the requested trading outloud, and give other characters the chance to trade with you first. If, after a couple of chances and a couple of days, no one takes you up on it, then it is okay to trade with your own character, as long as the trade is a fair one for both sides.

One comment related to your question, Pie. Not only is it a CR breach to have more than one character in the same government/company/religion etc., but it is also a breach to have more than one character actively supporting the same issues, political or social of the same area. This can be a tricky one, if you have chars in different towns, and the issue becomes far reaching, and both chars would naturally be on the same side of the issue. Just be careful and try to have one of them not "actively" pursuing or supporting it. (Am I making any sense? I am in my own mind :P )

However, in your situation, Pie, if it is something like the above, and your first char is already active in the issue DO NOT SEND YOUR OTHER CHAR! That would be a serious CR breach. If your char that already lives there is not involved whatsoever in the reason your second char wishes to go, then it may well be okay. It's so hard to say, without knowing the details.

If you would prefer a better answer, you can write the PD with those details, so we can better inform you.

Yes I acknowledge it could be avoided, but question the time I should divert to do so. It is nice to see there is some room to maneuveur, when left with no alternatives.

Mykey

Postby Mykey » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:13 am

1652-5.32: You say: "Old friend? The guy just spawned...OOC: Someone should report him..."

1652-5.31: You see Neo talking to myst.

1652-5.31: You see Neo talking to Gracie.

1652-5.31: You see Neo entering Doryiskom, coming from Store 1.3.

1652-5.31: You see Neo leaving the central area of Doryiskom, entering Store 1.3.

1652-5.31: You see xxx leaving Doryiskom, taking highway to Klojt.

1652-5.31: You see xxx take some carrots.

1652-5.31: xxx says: "I will be back. I must meet an old friend at Blojt."

1652-5.30: You see xxx entering Doryiskom, coming from .............

1652-5.30: myst says: "Slug, any ideas where Ceddric went?"

1652-5.30: myst says: "*giggles*"

1652-5.30: You see xxx leaving the central area of Doryiskom, entering .............

1652-5.30: You say: "That way."

1652-5.30: myst says: "Klojt is that way"

1652-5.30: You point at highway to Klojt.

1652-5.30: You see myst point at highway to Klojt.

1652-5.30: xxx says: "Is that the way to Klojt?"

1652-5.30: You see xxx point at highway to Doryiskom Mountains.

1652-5.30: xxx says: "Where is Klojt?"

1652-5.30: xxx says: "Ok."

1652-5.29: You say: "xxx, you wil find food in there, you are welcome to 2Kilos of carrots, help on the harvestor for a day if their is space."

1652-5.29: You point at .............

1652-5.29: xxx says: "My name is xxx. I need some food."

1652-5.28: You say: "You are in Doryiskom. My name is Slug. What is yours. *smiles*"

1652-5.28: You see xxx take a copy of a note.

1652-5.28: xxx says: "Hey can someone tell me where I am?"

1652-5.28: You notice xxx whom you haven`t seen before

This reads bottom up, my characters name is Slug Killer, could someone talk to the player? If this isn`t blatant cheating, I do not know what is.

Mykey

Postby Mykey » Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:38 am

stupidity update.....

1652-6.01: xxx says: "Please do not kill me. I promise I will return."

1652-6.01: xxx says: "But I must go to Klojt to retreive my old tools. My friend is holding them for me. His name is Thomas Actley. Do you happen to know him?"

1652-6.01: xxx says: "I plan to live at Doryiskom anyway. It seems your location has a lot more resources."

1652-6.01: xxx says: "My first character died and he was from Klojt. I promise I will come back to repay for the food. I only took 2000."

1652-6.00: You say: "If you do not turn around, I will kill you."

When and if this is dealt with, would be much appreciated to know...

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”