Newspawn in Doryiskom didn't really get it

Public discussion channel to report possible breaches of the capital rule and for the public investigation of suspected cases. Note that in many cases it might be preferred to report such cases in private to players@cantr.net instead of on this forum.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Programming Department

Pieter de Groote

Newspawn in Doryiskom didn't really get it

Postby Pieter de Groote » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:35 am

Could someone talk to the player?

The character was new in town:

1767-2.31: ... (a man in his twenties) says: "Oh ..., I'm just going to look around. I'm a bit bored. I'm not really having a goal in my life. (OOC: Actually I just want to find Ben Benubi, but he's on another island, I want to see him:(, my buddy)"
tiddy ogg

Postby tiddy ogg » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:42 am

I'm sure this sort of thing happens all the time, but most have the gumption not to broadcast it. The number of newspawns I've seen who immediately leave their spawning point even in towns with plenty of opportunities...
Nakranoth

Postby Nakranoth » Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:27 am

That doesn't always mean they're looking for someone oocly... I've done it myself to start thiefy charries... and if you didn't just spawn ther, you seem more credible coming up with a fake back story to justify your desires for (insert expensive item here). :wink:
Scratch and sniff text
deadboy

Postby deadboy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:44 am

Ah, it's not like he's likely to ever find his friends character though is it? ;)
And I'll admit, though less obviously, when I started playing I did just this, migrated most of my characters to near my friends, it made the game more interesting when I had only just started playing, and so I don't think it should really be put a stop to so long as there arn't any clear CRB's involved, which is unlikely because if they are both new they arn't going to own anything that could be used to commit a serious CRB, it just helps speed the learning process in cantr if two of you learn it together
Last edited by deadboy on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we" - George W. Bush
notsure

Postby notsure » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:32 pm

But we didn't need the OOC at all in Dory.

notsure :?
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:48 pm

Don't overreact now ... new players often don't know these details. Just have a private chat to him, OOC, explaining how he should go to the forum to ask questions and how he cannot use OOC info. Just put it as friendly as possible - not like "Hey, dude, read the rules, no OOC!" or something like that - and it should help. This doesn't sound like someone with bad intentions, but someone just not yet acquainted with Cantr.

Moving your chars to your friends' locations is a CRB, btw.
deadboy

Postby deadboy » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:20 pm

I know that, but I'm not sure that when you are starting the game it should be a particularly enforced one, not until having two characters together could really influance the game, for the reason I said before, there's less of a learning curve if there are two of you instead of one
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we" - George W. Bush
Pieter de Groote

Postby Pieter de Groote » Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:51 pm

Jos Elkink wrote:Don't overreact now ... new players often don't know these details. Just have a private chat to him, OOC, explaining ...

Jos, do you seriously consider my post an overreaction?

It's very likely the player is breaching the capital rule. If the reactions to my post represent the opinion of the average Cantr-player and if Jos considers this "these details", I sure have to change my attitude towards OOC influences.

The reason for using the forum instead of talking OOC, is that the character did leave Doryiskom soon after he said this. I don't think one of my characters should follow him so that I can give him the message.
Missy

Postby Missy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:12 am

Your reaction isn't an over-reaction. Reporting it here was the wisest thing to do. The PD can contact him and better explain things to him.

Why there's commentary for what you're reporting from other people, I can't figure out. This isn't a discussion forum!

They might also have given you a hard time had you contacted them yourself which would have led to more OOC disruption.
I hate people.
Schme

Postby Schme » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:20 am

I met Ben Benubi. He doesn't get it either.

You're right. I try to explain to him through that, but now he just thinks to speak out of character OK. Last I saw.
"One death is a tragedy, a million is just statistics."
Joseph Stalin
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:35 pm

Pieter, no, your post is no overreaction. I was rather reacting to notsure. Besides, I didn't realize that the char had gone walking :) ...

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression - you're interpretation of the CR is definitely quite right.
N-Aldwitch

Postby N-Aldwitch » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:21 am

Jos Elkink wrote:Besides, I didn't realize that the char had gone walking :) .

On the assumption that the character had not gone walking, the Players Department encourage us to report it than to sort it out ourselves, regardless of who the player is.

Whether this is due to a lack of communication of desires between yourself and the department is another issue, but that's how they handle it. At least- that's the impression I get from them..
Nakranoth's "evil" character says:
"Thief! That's terrible! *shakes his head* That would hurt people's feeling if I did that."

http://www.sylorn.com - Free MMORPG in development.. need help.
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:43 pm

Yes, you're right....we do prefer you report it, rather than speak oocly to the character in game. That can cause hard feelings between players, thus their characters, influencing the game for both negatively.

Return to “Capital Rule Breaches”