'Vegetable' and 'Fruit' Categories for resources

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:04 am

I meant 1000th post in this forum category, bah.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:49 pm

So...
Could it be possible to add categories for resources?

So that, like a stone hammer and hammer both have the label 'hammer' something similar could be done withg resources?
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Chris Johnson

Postby Chris Johnson » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:37 pm

It would have to be implemented in a different way but yes,(which is why this is already an accepted suggestion ) in fact it could be more powerful than the object groupings of generic types, resouces could belong to more than one category - Food, Fruit, Healing etc
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:05 pm

Ying wrote:A problem that I could see with this would be that some vegetables and fruits are more abundant than others.
If it were that you needed 1000g of vegetables ot make stew, you could use 1000g of potatoes versus 100g of carrots, which are harder to come by.
Then if the stew had the same nutritional value, no matter what you put into it, people would always make it out of something that you gather loads at a time, like potatoes. This eliminates the whole idea of using it to create diversity in the meals.

I'm preparing a suggestion that could solve the problem about generic projects, those that could accept different ingredients in different amounts without needing one project for each combination and without distorting the final value (of feeing, healing or whatever) of the product.

But I'll be offline some days... see you!
Tyche es una malparida. Espero que Ramnus y Pluto intervengan... o no :P
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:14 pm

Ah!... this was the thread I was looking for this morning... thanks again, Chris.

CLAIM

This suggestion is intended to soft the way in which the projects are defined and to bring some flexibility to the characters actions.
It is not supposed to be a riddle to upset the players reading this suggestion.
If you are not feeling like to read "complex" implementations issues, please, DON'T READ THIS. Probably, you won't understand it and automatically you will state "naaaaa, this is too complex! I don't want cantr more complex!"
I swear that the outcome of this suggestion, if it becomes implemented, would be a EASY WAY to do the things in Cantr. The complexity would be just for the ProgD (xD)

Well... let's begin:

We can find several kind of fixed receipts in Cantr, like this one:

Stewing meat and vegetables (from the wiki)

Output per day of labour
* 400 grams of stew
Maximum output
* 14000 grams
Required resources
* 200 grams of meat
* 120 grams of potatoes
* 80 grams of carrots
* 25 grams of wood
Required tools
* none <- WOW! a stew made without a pot, it is great achievement in cooking technology!

So, if you have 40 g carrots, 300 g potatoes, 200 g meat, you can at most produce 200 g stew, and you won't be able to cook the remaining 180 g potatoes and 100 g raw meat.
It is unrealistic, not funny to play, not simple to understand...
Ok, Cantr is like Cantr is, but Cantr changes continuously.

Other people has suggested the posibility to have projects accepting flexible ratios of input resources. But the implementations seems to be difficult, so the suggestion is not going on.

But now I'm here Wink

Let's define a concept, the "feeding coeficient" of each food.

Potatoes feed 1 day each 200 grams. Then...

Potatoes: 1/200 = 0.50% feeding coeficient.
Carrots: 1/117 = 0.85% feeding coeficient.

Tomatoes, since it isn't a nourishing food, it has no feeding coeficient when raw, but it can be estimated from its gathering ratio (or it can be just defined)

Tomatoes (estimated): 1.50% feeding coeficient.

Raw meat (estimated): 3.00% feeding coeficient.

Stew... I dunno (never found it IG, and it is not in the wiki), so...

Stew (guessing): 1/40 = 2.5% feeding coeficient.

Ok, next step, now talking about a flexible receipt:

Let's suppose that we introduce 1 kg potatoes, 1/2 kg tomatoes, 300 g carrots and 100 g raw meat into the oven (I would prefer to say in the pot).

How much stew would come from it?

Taking in account the above calculated coeficientes, we have:

1000 potatoes should feed 5 days
100 raw meat should feed 3 days
300 carrots should feed 2.5 days
500 tomatoes should feed 7.5 days
Total, 18 days of feeding.

So the production should be 720 grams of stew (given that the stew feeds 1 day each 40 grams, 720 grams of stew feed 18 days).

The wood needed to cook this could be 45 (if 25 g wood works for 400 g stew, 720x25/400=45).

We could put into the stew any combination of raw meat and vegetables, and the interface would calculate the needed amount of wood and the final output of stew.

PROBLEMS:
- this needs programming a new interface for this kind of flexible input projects.
- the different kind of foods should be categorized as vegetable, fruits, etc. so the flexible projects can accept categories instead of concret resources. ACCEPTED.
- the feeding coeficiend should be calculated or defined for any kind of food (even not nourishing ones)

Something else?
sem

Postby sem » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:23 pm

So ... applying your formula to the current recipe
200g meat = 6 days
120g potatoes = 0.6 days
80g carrots = 0.67 days

output of stew= 7.27 days = 290.8 g

I'll stick with the inflexible 400g thanks, rather than lose a quarter of the output :)

But it gets worse...

Actually the daily rate for stew is 28g (I have a character who has a taste for it).

Applying the corrected value for stew the output drops to 7.27*28=203g
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:36 pm

Why not add a multiplier in it - the more types you use, the better it gets? Kinda like irl, you would mix in all sorts of spice and stuff. Naturally it shouldn't be quite as much as "2 resources: x2, 3 resources: x3" but something less edgy. It should also be possible to mix one type of fruit with meat and/or vegetables, but if the ratio is too large, it would taste yucky.
Not-so-sad panda
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:51 pm

Please, note that I'm not in the RD not ProgD and I have no access to the way in which the feed capability of each nourishing (raw or cooked) food is calculated. All that I have said can be adjusted.

sem wrote:So ... applying your formula to the current recipe
200g meat = 6 days
120g potatoes = 0.6 days
80g carrots = 0.67 days

output of stew= 7.27 days = 290.8 g

Given that the current fixed receipt should outcome 14.28 days, and that the cooked foods always are more nourishing than the equivalent raw, it seems logical to give a boost to the feeding coeficient when cooking.

And the suggestion of SekoETC about giving more boost to receipts of more kinds of foods is great.

Then, a suggest this:

For cook receipts with 1 kind of food, add 50% to the total feeding of the receipt.
With 2 kinds of food, add 75%.
With 3 kinds of food: +100%.
With 4 kinds of food: +125%.
With 5 kinds of food: +150%.

(0.25 + 0.25 * n_foods)

sem wrote:I'll stick with the inflexible 400g thanks, rather than lose a quarter of the output :)

But it gets worse...

Actually the daily rate for stew is 28g (I have a character who has a taste for it).

Applying the corrected value for stew the output drops to 7.27*28=203g

In the example above, the final outcome would be 7.27 + 100% = 14.54 days, 407 grams of stew.

Of course, it is possible to find another receipt that doesn't fit in this system. But again, things in Cantr are modifiable ;)

Please! any more drawbacks?
Sicofonte

Postby Sicofonte » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:57 pm

I dunno why I can't edit my posts in this thread -shrugs-

The gain in the prrevious pst was intended to cooked receipts, those that consumes some kind of fuel and need a machine to be cooked.

For "cheaper" receipts like salads, I would suggest something like this:

Gain: 0.05 + 0.15 *n_foods

1 food: +20%
2 foods: +35%
3 foods: +50%
Sho

Postby Sho » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:24 pm

Posts cannot be edited in Accepted Suggestions.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”