Buoys

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

wichita
Administrator Emeritus

Postby wichita » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:54 am

Wonder why it never got implemented? It seemed like unanimous approval. But di we really need to worry abou the whole current issue? I mean, boats don't experience current do they? The buoys should experience the same lack of force. Maybe they should be a bit more expensive to build though, to keep the seas from becoming littered with them.
"Y-O-U! It's just two extra letters! Come on, people! This is the internet, not a barn!" --Kid President
west

Postby west » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:28 am

wichita wrote:Wonder why it never got implemented? It seemed like unanimous approval. But di we really need to worry abou the whole current issue? I mean, boats don't experience current do they? The buoys should experience the same lack of force. Maybe they should be a bit more expensive to build though, to keep the seas from becoming littered with them.

Same reason most things don't...lack of time and programmers. Certainly not because there's anything wrong with this (fantastic) idea. Eventually currents WILL be implemented...it'd be interesting to see how that effects sea travel.
I'm not dead; I'm dormant.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:40 pm

I think I remember Jos saying somewhere (in this thread maybe - I'm not sure) That this idea may well be implemented - but, like most things, a little patience is probably required...
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Sho

Postby Sho » Mon May 22, 2006 5:27 am

*bump*

The changes in navigation (ship names and rough directions can be seen from a distance) should make buoys easier to code. Obviously there are still details to work out (can they be removed? how?), but this was a well-recieved suggestion in its time, and it's time another look was taken at implementing it.

Jos's statement that Hallucinatingfarmer referred to above:

http://www.cantr.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=93314#93314
phoenixannwn

Re: Buoys

Postby phoenixannwn » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:18 am

I think a buoy could be like a building on the sea. You could change the name with a sign-changing tool, and they could be used so you know "Hey, coast isn't too far from here". Like, you could put "Klojt Coast" or something, then put it out at the distance which, on the map, when you're on the water, you can no longer see Klojt. So from twice as far away, you see the buoy and go, "Hey! I'm close to Klojt!" More navigational seas.
Also I think it's a good idea.
Big rock (stone, high grammage)+rope (lengths all the same, cause do Cantr seas really have depths? Maybe closer to shore is shorter, but IDTS. Just harder to code)+lots of wood or metal. Since the buoy is going to be hollow anyway (at least, modern buoys are, and it would cut down on the materials needed), it shouldn't be that hard, and the only really heavy bit should be the stone. You build it on a ship, then drag it off the ship, and boom, wherever you're at, it's like those dots on google maps. It's only active and really "finished" when you push it off the boat. And only appears on the map then. After you do, it doesn't move. Period.
Oh god, we're gonna have buoys going "THOMAS HOBBES WAS HERE". Or w/e. :roll:
Rot of a wooden one is twice the rot of a metal one, but both really slowly rot.
70% cute, 30% WTF
Bargon wanchi kox paa, Solo! Hoo hoo hoo hoo
http://witchesandweres.tumblr.com/
viktor

Re: Buoys

Postby viktor » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:42 pm

haha i was thinkin about bouys in my head as an alternative to something else i was thinking of doing in game..
good idea, *shrugs* maybe toss in some rubber for the construction too?, boats might bump it ya know :P
decay and retrieval and repair! this opens up potential emploment as a bouy repairperson. :wink:

Return to “Likely Suggestions”