9%
Undecided
3%

Total votes: 102
SekoETC

Opting out of attracting spawns

Postby SekoETC » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:58 pm

This suggestion has two parts:

1. Manual opt out - you select from character settings that your character will be excluded from the "census", thus reducing the likelihood of the location receiving spawns.
2. Automatic opt out - sleepers (characters who haven't been checked in 7 days or more) would automatically stop attracting spawns.

The manual could be used for example when you're traveling and know you don't want to take responsibility of newspawns, especially when you're in a location that can't support life, such as mountains, beach or desert. When you arrive in a town that looks like a good place to spawn, you can switch it back to attracting spawns.

The automatic is just to increase chances of spawning in active towns.
Not-so-sad panda
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Re: Opting out of attracting spawns

Postby Bmot » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:41 pm

I like this :)

But, (just one but this time) I'm not sure how useful this would be when DBS is implemented...
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:42 pm

This would be faster to implement than DBS.
Not-so-sad panda
BosBaBe

Postby BosBaBe » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:27 pm

Definitely a yes to automatic, no to manual. If it was on manual, all the sleepers would have theirs set to on. If it was on manual, should be set to off by default, but I think the automatic thing would work better.

But I still can't wait for DBS. xD
kicking jay

Postby kicking jay » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:52 pm

BosBaBe wrote:Definitely a yes to automatic, no to manual. If it was on manual, all the sleepers would have theirs set to on. If it was on manual, should be set to off by default, but I think the automatic thing would work better.

?

There's two parts: you can manually turn it on and off, but if it's manually turned on, it will automatically turn off if you've not logged on into that char for seven days. See?

I vote an enthusiastic yes.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:46 pm

I voted no to automatic, because then my method of collecting sleepers in small towns to attract newspawns wouldn't work anymore (this worked successfully in Sring-sri, who after getting Nraam's sleepers went from a town of two characters to being a lively thriving town in a few Cantr years.)
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
kicking jay

Postby kicking jay » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:17 pm

I think enforced automatic optout would lead to some very interesting population dynamics, and surely assist active groups of settlers who are trying to gain people. Boisterous groups of younger characters attract more of the same, and probably migrate away from the aging sleepers who control the large towns. I think it's a good idea.
hyrle

Postby hyrle » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:52 pm

Hmm... sounds like an interesting slave trade.

Trader says: "Well, I'm interested in one more thing... do you have any folks who've come down with the sleeping sickness that you'd trade? You know... them ones laying around, doing nothing? I'd be willing to pay for 'em"
Town says: "Sure, we don't like feeding them anyhow. How much you payin'?"
Trader says: "Just pick a couple days of stuff. I'm lookin for some to help repopulate a nearby town who wants 'em".
Town says: "Well, we got plenty of them around here, and we like it kind of quiet anyhow. So - sure - I'll take some ____ for 'em"
Trader says: "Sweet."

:D
Cdls

Postby Cdls » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:38 am

I don't think it should be turned off entirely.

I would be in favor of a toggle that would drastically lower or higher the chance of it happening, but am against making it impossible.
kicking jay

Postby kicking jay » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:07 am

Cdls wrote:I don't think it should be turned off entirely.

I would be in favor of a toggle that would drastically lower or higher the chance of it happening, but am against making it impossible.

Ooh, ooh, a compromise! I'm fully in favor of this. Bonus points if the chance is half of the normal after the first week of inactivity, a quarter the next... etc.

Alternately, when not turned off manually, your spawner chance goes down every day you've not clicked the new events page - if it's 1 normally, it's a 1/2 after the first day of being ignored by the player, 1/3 after that, 1/4... etc, in a harmonic function. It'd go a long way towards dramatically decreasing the number of newspawns who pop out and don't get a char to greet them within a day.
Uma

Postby Uma » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:48 pm

I wish you could opt to WANT a spawn. and it would move you down to 'normal spawning' once you have a spawn show up.

that way you can try to grow a town in need of citizens.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:52 pm

This suggestion has become a mess of multiple desires. It should probably be split, as most people are at least in favour of being able to prevent spawns when travelling from place to place.
Read about my characters by following this link.
Snickie
RD/HR Member/Translator-English (LD)

Postby Snickie » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:02 am

I'm fully in favor of choosing to not be in the spawning population period by manual choice.
My opinion towards whether sleepers should automatically be out of the gene pool after x days however is fluid enough to accept it if their chances of attracting spawns were somehow decreased based on how long they've been inactive/unchecked even if it never reaches zero before death.
Also, those in vacation mode should automatically be out, or have their statistic so low that they might as well be out.
kaloryfer

Postby kaloryfer » Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:48 pm

yes to both ideas
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:09 pm

Bump.

I like both ideas. Poll shows the vast majority of voters like manual option and I see no issues regarding that, so probably everything is already said about it. I'd really like to be able to not attract newspawns when I'm sailing on foreign lands and I'm unable to take anybody with my crew.

It's not as overwhelming for automatic part, so I'll post why I like it.
It would make people more likely to land in the locations where there are active people, not towns full of sleepers. Boring towns make people more likely to leave their characters sleeping, while interesting ones keep them entertained.
But making distribution of people better for newbies isn't the thing I find the most important.
The more important thing: it'll finally remove OOC influence on IC character actions. Currently, characters (usually townleaders) are often feeding the sleepers in the location because the players know it's used in spawning algorithm. So even player of a cruel and selfish character needs to decide whether they should act OOC by feeding sleepers or be disadvantaged in comparison to other towns.
My suggestion to make it more smooth is, instead of a sharp one week bound, to gradually reduce character's attraction potential after a week of not logging in, to reach 0 after two weeks. A person not even checked for two weeks can be considered as not played at all and their ability to make a newspawn interested in is zero as well.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”