Road Signposting

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Ahoyhoy

Postby Ahoyhoy » Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:24 am

I wonder if path's to a new town will be shown on the map when freeroaming is made and if you will still have the option to follow the path. Also I wonder if you wonder off somewhere else that hasn't been inhabited yet if resources will be there or if you have to go to a town to start gathering resources.
The Industriallist

Postby The Industriallist » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:06 am

If you search the forums you'll get answers to those questions, I think.
"If I can be a good crackhead, I can be a good Christian"

-A subway preacher
tmbg37

Postby tmbg37 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:26 pm

Chris Johnson wrote:Of course there is nothing wrong with sign posts pointing the wrong way or having the wrong destinations on them ... :twisted:

If this is possible then it should also be possible to destroy signposts.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:41 pm

If we start building land marks such as 'Forest south-south-west' - would the ProgD be so kind as to change them to signposts once signposts are implemented? :)
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
julie2

Postby julie2 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:05 pm

It should be possible to get all the information onto one signpost, rather than building one for each direction. Just how clutterered do we want the objects page to be? And If signposts really MUST go on the objects page, can’t they go at the top? It’s pretty silly ,already, that a stone monument is the last thing you notice, after scrutinisin 200 rams of dung, zero grams of pineapples etcetera.

Ideally , if it’s programmable, a finished signpost should appeear on the location page (It could, and should, also remain as an object, of course, but the locations page code could include a pointer to the signpost’s text, couldn’t it?). I don’t know about others but I find it extremely difficult to compare two pages which can’t be viewed simltaneously, and also extremeley difficult to memorise direction information, which is what we’ll have to do repeatedly , otherwise. That's s going to be very, very tedious and time-consuming indeed. (At least for me it will be. Maybe the rest of you have better brains than mine?)

Also, I don’t think this should be implemented until some means of destroying the signposts or altering the text can be implemented alon with it. Else we’ll be stuck with accidental misdrections, and unable to re-name locations effectively..

Anyways , I'm glad this in being implemented.
ManyVoices

Road Signs

Postby ManyVoices » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:15 pm

I have a terrible memory, so I hate having to look at maps, even the good ones like the Bauer Atlas, then have to come back to the location and match the right road with the right name on the map. It's horribly taxing, and it hurts my brain.

What if towns could build road signs that would automatically fill in that very annoying "unnamed location" spot on the Location Page. We have street signs in reality. They could make only one sign per road so it fills in the default location as opposed to just seeing "unnamed location". They could even make up false ones like "Road to Hell" (as long as we can tag them properly). That would also help when towns change there names, the connecting town could have a task of changing the road sign (much like a building or vehicle). If a town didn't build a road sign, it can be left with the every annoying "unnamed location".

Oh, I guess the signs could be made completely out of wood, iron, or steel, or any other material that makes a good sign.

This would please so many of my characters. They would smile more and everything!
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Re: Road Signs

Postby Bmot » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:45 pm

Yes, but, I would make it a landmark-like object that says something like:

"a road sign pointing at <location a> (direction) saying "the town down the road" "

This would probably be easier to program as well, I'd think.

It could or couldn't show the direction in the little text.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Marian

Postby Marian » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:05 pm

I like it. I'm not sure how it works from a programming standpoint, but shouldn't it be almost the same as attaching a sign to a vehicle or building?

Though of course if all ways of modifying dynamic text work exactly the same, I vote we be able to attach visible nametags to people too. :P
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:27 pm

Marian wrote:I like it. I'm not sure how it works from a programming standpoint, but shouldn't it be almost the same as attaching a sign to a vehicle or building?

It'd require completely different mechanics.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:30 pm

Greek wrote:
Marian wrote:I like it. I'm not sure how it works from a programming standpoint, but shouldn't it be almost the same as attaching a sign to a vehicle or building?

It'd require completely different mechanics.

So, which of the two ways to make roadsigns is easier to program?
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Bmot

Postby Bmot » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Heh, slightly off topic, but I just realized that the "landmark" is already translated for Dutch chars, to the word for "road sign" :lol:
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:37 pm

Probably adding a static description for a road would be the easiest.
Changes with dynamic naming are bad idea. Making sign an object with location mentioned in the name would require global changes to [make it] work with translations. Also seeing them on objects page may not be as convenient as a text just next to road on location page, but it's not a technical issue.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Andu

Postby Andu » Sun May 11, 2014 4:47 pm

I'm all for the idea if they are destroyable or the description are modifiable after creation.
"An those with little fuel, could tie a pack of bears in front of their limousine, with whip and crossbow in hands to keep them in line."
hyrle

Postby hyrle » Mon May 12, 2014 12:44 am

I am all for it as well. One of my main frustrations of the moment with Cantr in general is the inability to modify or destroy landmarks. I have one town where the previous residents setup a stone landmark that is rather rude and every time I see it, I wish my character could smash it with his sledgehammer. :D

I selected undecided because I think landmarks would serve the purpose, so long as they are destroyable or modifyable.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”