Carrier Pigeons

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

charlienezbit

Carrier Pigeons

Postby charlienezbit » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:51 pm

I was thinking that it'd be an interesting idea to have carrier pigeons, maybe falcons, that you could give notes to carry to other cities, maybe ones out of radio range.
charlienezbit

Re: Carrier Pigeons

Postby charlienezbit » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:45 pm

Anyone else think that this would be a neat mechanic? It'd also come in handy for ship voyages I'd imagine.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:58 pm

Yes, it's a great idea. Pretty sure it's been suggested before somewhere.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:50 am

I like it.
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
Abrican

Postby Abrican » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:46 am

How would you tell the bird where to go?
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:14 am

Abrican wrote:How would you tell the bird where to go?

Whisper in its ear? 8)
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
Swingerzetta

Postby Swingerzetta » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:15 am

Well, in reality, they were raised in one place, (the destination) and taken to the other place (the starting point) by the note sender. Then, when the note sender wanted to send a note, he'd tie it to the pidgeon, and release it. It would somehow fly back home.

According to wikipedia, it's been proved to be possible to train them to go back and fourth by feeding it in one place and housing it in the other. It will fly home, and then fly back for feeding time.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:42 pm

Set two coordinates as "home," just like a sextant but twice over.
Have a coop in each location (necessary for setting home coordinates)
Add message, release pigeon. Pigeon disappears and reappears in other coop according to flight speed.

Or the previous idea, where they only go to one place. That would just mean they have to be manually returned.

Since animals don't die of old age anymore or are preyed upon, it wouldn't make sense for pigeons to be lost in transit.

They need to be fed
They should be domesticated wild pigeons (they're in the game).
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Marz

Postby Marz » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:15 pm

Great idea! "Setting" them in one place, sextant-style and manually transporting them around is the best way imho.
LittleSoul

Postby LittleSoul » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:42 pm

I love this idea!

Those of us without radios that travel won't have to wonder what happened to the people they've met after leaving anymore, as long as you've got a pigeon. This is like cantr mail. It's awesome!
Yang

Postby Yang » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:31 pm

Making it work like this, when you set up home and then take pigeons with you is a great idea. You could send information from distance where is no radio network, or you don't give such information to others.
But there are few problems.
First where to keep then when you are away. Maybe some container like pigeon cage, where you put items - pigeons.
Second - where exactly they will fly? Maybe building, or cage, or if there is none such then on ground? Maybe exact location where home was set? If in building then it will fly to this building even if its closed?
Third - what it will eat? Maybe some grain? Or make bird feed for them from different grains?
Fourth - what it will carry? One note? Or maybe sealed note (sealed envelope with one note)?
Fifth - what if you have few pigeons with different home in one cage? You should be able say which one is to where. So maybe they should be named such like "Carrier pigeon to [name of place]" so if somebody who didnt name this place coudnt tell where this pigeon will take note, and owner can tell where it will be send.
Six - how to feed pigeons? If they would be in cage then it could be also container for bird feed where you would just put more and more feed?
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:49 pm

Containers can't be put inside other containers, so the feed would either have to go inside the bird cage, or the bird would reach out and eat from a container outside (makes less sense).
Not-so-sad panda
Yang

Postby Yang » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:11 pm

I mean one container - pigeons cage. There you put object - pigeons, AND bird feed - resource. So there would have to be some script that would calculate how many pigeons are inside so it would reduce number of bird feed accordingly. If there is no feed then pigeons would starve and after few days die. Starved pigeons coudnt fly so after starving them you coudnt send them away, so it would be better to keep some feed.
Its also a possibility to keep cage open, so if pigeon would starve would fly home to find feed. If there is also none then it will starve and die.
Conti

Postby Conti » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:00 pm

City A. - With Pideons Cage. (3 pidgeons for box?) Unique destinations.
Ex: Name Destination Origin
Pidgeons 1 - City B. - City A. [Button, pulse and open new page to write]
Pidgeons 2 - City C. - City A. [Button, pulse and open new page to write]
Pidgeons 3. City B - City A. [Button, pulse and open new page to write]

The pidgeons travel to the next city with normal velocity. When he arrives to city B, he lets the note in a special box, and go back.

Sorry for me english.
Misato

Postby Misato » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:48 pm

Bump. :D Having a char in the middle of nowhere who's never by the radio-like, ever-I need this! A thousand times yes for carrier pidgeons. ^_^ I don't even care how they work, as long as I can have one. Please and thank you! :mrgreen:
ImageImage
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."

Return to “Likely Suggestions”