Cantr Webzine

Threads moved from the Suggestions forum after implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department

Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Re: Cantr Webzine

Postby Jos Elkink » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:54 pm

I'm all for keeping it simple, indeed.

I would suggest we should not install any special software such as WordPress or anything, if that requires additional server admin work for ProgD. Most of the functionality of such software you really do not need for the Webzine. In the end the Webzine is just a bunch of static pages - can't we just upload HTML somewhere? :) That said, current version of WordPress can be upgraded with a press of a button, so it's not too bad.

e107 should not be revived, for the above reasons, as well as the mentioned security issues. So reviving the old Webzine pages into whatever the new format is is a bit of manual work.

The PR department should really be responsible for this, but perhaps there can be a voluntary Webzine editorial board that can be outside regular Cantr staff, to keep it all easy?

I don't really like the idea of using the forum for the webzine, but then, I don't like the use of the forum for anything but regular discussion among players, and it is used for many more things, so I've given up on that fight a long time ago ;-) ...
Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:55 pm

Doug R. wrote:would it be free for anyone to post?

I think you would need a small "editorial board" that gets special forum access rights to that one. Otherwise it becomes a discussion forum instead of a webzine.

But again, not greatest supporter of using forum ;)
Alladinsane

Postby Alladinsane » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:20 pm

I had actually written one or two (two I think) things for the webzine when I first started. I had an interview with a famous personality in game and also an introductory overview. Only to find out that the zine was discontinued.

If well done by an independent board; it seems like a good advertisement for the game itself. Possible short stories, or a continuing series etc; something that keeps people coming back if only to read the zine. With the writing talents in this community, it seems that a good product could come out. But there is motivation problems... Many express desire to do something and interest fades, life happens. I see some things directly from this forum as being transferable... articles of analysis ('how to'), favorite stories, eulogies and tributes, personal bio's, cartoons, satire... it just depends on submissions. But deadlines do seem to discourage...so maybe twice a year? It gives the editorial board more time to review submissions and request revision for publication etc.

This can go as far as we take it if we assume responsibility for it... its getting those volunteers that seems to always call the bluff. If we make a 'verbal' commitment and then renege on it. Ehhh... I like the idea, always have. Do we have any writers out there?
A famous wise man once said absolutely nothing!
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:10 pm

Alladinsane wrote:Do we have any writers out there?

*Raises hand, jumping up and down*

Now, if we did it on the forum, wouldn't older posts be buried under the newer ones? It would be pretty nice if there were a way to "rate" the webzine posts, and have a section for "popularity" and one for "recent posts", etc. But I have no idea if that can be done with a forum o:
Faith
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Faith » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:36 pm

I don't like to use the forum neither; there are a lot of free and easy platforms, and Wordpress is one of the best, it could automatically announces each update in the facebook and twitter pages.
And it's a good oportunity to advertise the game and get new players; if we do it in the forum only the people who already play cantr are going to see it.

So it's a "yes" to revive the webzine, but a "no" to do it in the forum.
Kendo
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Kendo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:52 pm

I'm only say three words SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMIZATION...

Forums don't contemplates it... but, any blog system do it.

Anything would we do it's better to approach to new players, and google (likes or not) it's the best way.

And, like Faith as said the ads it's the better choice.

Try to do with wordpress it's simply, fast, so nice (visually talking), anyone can do and don't need disturb too many at the programers (and with a easy system, the writers don't break anything LOL).

Works with facebook, twitter, adwords, adsense... (like my boss say: Maybe it's not cool 'cause everyone can have it, but if everyone have it's for something)

With WP we can have a different kind of admins, ones of them can change the designs, others just can write... Others just approve the posts...

Whatever, I say Yes, but I guess we need to think for a while to in all the options.

:roll:
-- Si quieres cambiar al mundo, cámbiate a ti mismo. --

NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:08 pm

I /do/ like Wordpress... We used it for one of our school's classes and it was pretty cool :)
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:25 pm

PR has spoken - wordpress it should be. ;)
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:59 pm

WOO!!! I'M SO EXCITED!! :D
If there's anything I can do to speed up the process, please let me know!
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:56 pm

WordPress is perfect. Used it in the past and it's extremely simple and good-looking.

Maybe we could use a forum section for submissions, recruiting writers, organizing "Write about your character's day on 2538." stories, inspiration for comics. Would be a bit more organized than a single thread, especially considering how many threads there are on the forum (as a returning player I knew where to look, but as a newbie I was confused and there is a lot of outdated information there...ah well, different issue).
Read about my characters by following this link.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:02 pm

Someone in PR should set it up, and I like Jos's suggestion that we don't necessarily need staff members to work on the 'zine, so long as PR has ultimate control over it.
Kendo
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Kendo » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:57 pm

I'm with Jos and Doug, some gamers maybe could have permissions to write on it without be PR.

But in last chance the PR team has the last "click" to publish the drafts... or we can enable a mail direction to send the histories to put in the webzine, and the PR just select and post (anonymous or with the name of author if they will)

That's for have more volume of histories and give the chance to participate to all of us.

If we do it on forums never could be anonymous.

Jos Elkink
Founder Emeritus

Postby Jos Elkink » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:21 pm

Doug R. wrote:PR has spoken - wordpress it should be. ;)

:-) I agree. And also with Kendo's later suggestions.

Now I guess ProgD will have to make the very first step of setting up WordPress on the server, but after that, everything can be done through the WordPress web interface by PR staff. So Kendo, you have experience using WP?
Kendo
Administrator Emeritus

Postby Kendo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:06 pm

Sure... I have it. :)

Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Moving to accepted suggestions and starting Dev thread.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”