c) Something like it only different
5%
d) Who cares about new players anyway?
4%

Total votes: 102
EchoMan

Re: EchoMan's New Player Newspawn Planet

Postby EchoMan » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:18 pm

The spawn process itself is weird. And the whole (well half) point of this is that the character shouldn't do weird things upon weirdly spawning. :)
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:21 pm

EchoMan wrote:The spawn process itself is weird. And the whole (well half) point of this is that the character shouldn't do weird things upon weirdly spawning. :)

Okay, fair enough.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:54 pm

EchoMan wrote:
Doug R. wrote:
The player account will not be acceptable until the staff of the newbie village has "pre-accepted" the account, and thus deemed the player as worthy and knowledgeable enough to enter the green. :)

The PD needs to be involved in this process or they will veto it. There are lots of reasons that people shouldn't be let into the game, even if they understand the game (for instance, if they're a banned player).
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
freiana

Postby freiana » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:55 pm

So, every new player needs two acceptances, right? One from the people in newbie town, and one from the PD.
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:36 pm

If the PD continues operating at the level of efficiency regarding player applications as it was when I left, they will have the applicants cleared before they're released by the newbie town staff anyway.
EchoMan

Postby EchoMan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:34 am

What I was trying to say:

- A player can make one character that will be put in the newbie village.
- When the newbie staff has deemed the player as knowlegeable enough, they accept the player through some yet unknown mechanism.
- The player then shows up in the PD new player tool.
- When (if?) PD accepts the player, the character will be spawned.

An alternative could be that the newbie character doesn't spawn to the "real" Cantr, and the player creates a new character from scratch.
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:38 pm

EchoMan wrote:- The player then shows up in the PD new player tool.
- When (if?) PD accepts the player, the character will be spawned.

The player will now still be able to play, while the request is pending at PD, right? 'Cause if not, the whole idea of making sure people will stay, instead of leaving because they can't play immediately, will be less effective, because there's still waiting time involved...
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:45 pm

In the Newbie Village, yes.
Bleacher

Postby Bleacher » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:25 pm

This is a great idea. I can help english, portuguese and spanish groups.
The Storm is coming!
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Portuguese here.
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)
Marian

Postby Marian » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:44 pm

I'm glad this was bumped. I remember some discussion about this idea but never knew if it was serious.

I haven't seen the statistics, but I'm betting the wait period for manual activation is where we lose a lot of potential players, probably responsible for a good percentage of those people who spawn and never speak.

Giving new people some place they can start fooling around and learning the basic mechanics in immediately while they wait for approval would be fantastic.
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Marian wrote:Giving new people some place they can start fooling around and learning the basic mechanics in immediately while they wait for approval would be fantastic.

Seconded.
But it would be good if only the map was changed to the creation of a special island (an earthquake in Fu would realize this). The island should have multiple locations so that the population was administered. But a single spawnpoint, common to all languages. Administrators take care of the carry characters on Vans, for training locations. As vehicles are needed for administration, the resources of the area should be related to the production of fuel. Besides wood, stones, food and medicine. The island does not have beaches, just a circular chain of mountains, and plains in some interior. The location of the spawnpoint would have buildings to store useful resources for administration. Every player would have an extra slot for creating a character on this island, but this slot would be locked for approved players . After having been approved and locked the special slot, the other normal slots are released. The characters from the locked slot remain there, giving example of what characters would be abandoned for any reason.
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
freiana

Postby freiana » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:30 pm

I thought this newspawn place would not be in the same world as we all play in. Like, it would be a completely seperate realm, so the newspawns there just "move on/level up" to the "real" cantr world.
Don't remember where I was - I realized life was a game - The more seriously I took things - The harder the rules became
HFrance

Postby HFrance » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:06 pm

It makes no difference, since in both cases the special land will not be accessible to real characters. The issue should be decided by the programmers and technical developers: what is easier to implement with the game going? Modify the current map or create a parallel tiny map?
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:29 pm

Both are equally difficult since no one knows how to use the map creation tool.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”