Decreased travel time or distance (New Thread)

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Do you like that idea?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 86
Black Canyon

Re: Decreased travel time or distance (New Thread)

Postby Black Canyon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:01 am

Doug R. wrote:What, exactly are we accepting? Whomever accepts this, please provide a synopsis.

Umm... something that results in decreased travel time or distance? :P
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:46 pm

Black Canyon wrote:
Doug R. wrote:What, exactly are we accepting? Whomever accepts this, please provide a synopsis.

Not good enough ;)

This shouldn't be accepted until a specific mechanism is proposed and agreed upon. For the record, I didn't vote.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:15 pm

Doug R. wrote:
Black Canyon wrote:

Not good enough ;)

This shouldn't be accepted until a specific mechanism is proposed and agreed upon. For the record, I didn't vote.

Troublemaker :P
I am for the simplest solution, honestly. I'm not a programmer so I'm not sure which would be the easiest way to approach this, whether it is increasing walking speed or shortening road distances.
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:10 pm

Change _WALKING_SPEED from 10 to 30 and speed of small vehicles like skateboard or wooden cart proportionally to match it.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:52 pm

Sounds good to me, Greek!
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:40 pm

Greek wrote:Change _WALKING_SPEED from 10 to 30 and speed of small vehicles like skateboard or wooden cart proportionally to match it.

I hope the speed of all vehicles will be modified to be proportional to the change. People that put in hard work to build vehicles shouldn't be penalized through this change. If the walkers get a speed increase, all vehicles should get one to match it.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:11 pm

I disagree. Tripling the max speed of cars would be ridiculous.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Chris

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:51 pm

If walking speed is going up from 10 to 30, you could add 20 to all vehicle speeds. So it wouldn't be tripling for the vehicles, but all would gain some speed.
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:21 am

I think tripling the speed of walking would be too much, doubling should be more than adequate. I'm not really concerned about the motorized vehicles anyway, I'm more concerned about bikes, rickshaws and those types of vehicles. Tripling the speeds for walking and leaving those the same would nerf all of those vehicles and make them nearly useless. They would still have value for weight capacity, be we all know half their value is in increased travel speed for younger characters.

Motorized vehicles should have an increase though if speeds are changed, even if it's a small one. They are the most expensive vehicles in the game, and require fuel; their value should be kept up.
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:34 am

I have a hard time understanding the resistance to this, really.

I currently have characters walking, some riding bikes, and others riding motorized vehicles. The issue is the amount of time it takes to walk from point A to point B. It's too long.
I seriously doubt that increasing the walking speed would render bikes useless, since the advantage of bikes are many: carrying capacity, the ability to repair or work on projects while traveling, and the protection factor against dragging. However, if there is concern then bump up bikes a bit. I agree that motorized vehicles are fine.

― Mark Twain
Henkie

Postby Henkie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:52 am

I do think consistency is crucial.... Double one speed, double them all, the balances atm are good imo. A car goes about 20 times as fast as a person, which is RL too.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Black Canyon wrote:I have a hard time understanding the resistance to this, really.

I currently have characters walking, some riding bikes, and others riding motorized vehicles. The issue is the amount of time it takes to walk from point A to point B. It's too long.
I seriously doubt that increasing the walking speed would render bikes useless, since the advantage of bikes are many: carrying capacity, the ability to repair or work on projects while traveling, and the protection factor against dragging. However, if there is concern then bump up bikes a bit. I agree that motorized vehicles are fine.

These are pretty much my sentiments. And I don't think tripling walking speed is too much.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Mr. Bones

Postby Mr. Bones » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:24 pm

Henkie wrote:I do think consistency is crucial.... Double one speed, double them all, the balances atm are good imo. A car goes about 20 times as fast as a person, which is RL too.

Exactly.

Walking involves a lot of time, but big deal, we all had to start out walking. There are options available right now to speed up walking. Most characters end up with a rickshaw/tandem and eventually a car or van. There's a common progression there the wealthier a character becomes. This tripling the walking speed is pretty much putting a silver spoon into new characters mouths so they don't have to put in the same work to better their travel time.

Working on projects on the road is a minimal benefit of a tandem bike, protection only slightly better. There are two main reasons people build rickshaws, tandems or bike carts: faster than walking and carrying capacity. I don't think it benefits the game to eliminate a major benefit of several different vehicles.

There should be consistency or no changes at all.
SekoETC

Postby SekoETC » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:36 pm

All land vehicles except the small wooden cart require rubber and not all regions have rubber available.
Not-so-sad panda
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:42 pm

If consistency is an issue, then let's be consistent. Make the increase across the board if necessary.

It is my belief that increasing the travel speed (or decreasing distance) is a good thing for the game. It will increase the interaction between towns, increase the development of social and business relationships between individuals from other towns of further distance, and will decrease the amount of downtime spent on the road. If there are those out there who treasure their long walks between one area to another, then slow your walking speed down and relish the nothingness or RP to your heart's content at stop between towns. But for those who want to get from one place to another, let's speed it up. :lol:

― Mark Twain

Return to “Likely Suggestions”