Decreased travel time or distance (New Thread)

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Do you like that idea?

Yes
73%
No
27%

Total votes: 86
Black Canyon

Decreased travel time or distance (New Thread)

Postby Black Canyon » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:54 pm

I decided to go ahead and make a new thread for this:

Black Canyon wrote:
SekoETC wrote:A lot of towns have vehicles without a lock nowadays. You could take one of those, although it makes sense to acquire iron first. Either disassemble an anvil in a ghost town or work a few days to get the iron and a screwdriver. Disassembling a smelter is not a good idea (tried that), it doesn't give enough iron for a lock because it only returns half of what was invested, and takes a long time.

So I take it that the suggestion of decreasing distance between towns ( or increasing travel speed) had been rejected then?

If that is the case I think I'd like to bring up the topic again. My characters have been through many ghost towns filled with locked vehicles as well as locked buildings. Most do not have anything near the tools it would take to break the lock, nor were they (or I, for that matter) aware of the tearing down of the anvil process in order to gain iron and a screwdriver. In addition, I wonder how many characters would naturally be inclined to just help themselves to something that they know is not theirs, even though the town appears empty. Perhaps the owners are simply inside a locked building or away on a trade mission? Granted, one of my characters already has a nice ride and gets around fine. One other has now traveled 10% towards some unknown destination which is going to take her at least 10 more (real life) days. I think she might just have enough food...

Hedgedhogst wrote:Granted, it's more about patience than any fault in the game mechanics, but when I first started playing, the first thing I found was the list of roads I could go down. I sent him on his way, and a while later the travel progress hit 1%.
It took just over 12 days to get my character to the next town, by which time he was starved half to death, and there was no life in the town at all. No vehicles and no food. Some people have no idea how disheartening that is for a newcomer.

Hedgedhogst's point is well taken. If I had just started the game for the first time, and my first character happned to be the one on the road with 10% progress, how likely would it be that I'd continue this "game"?
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
SekoETC

Re: Decreased travel time or distance (New Thread)

Postby SekoETC » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:55 pm

Thank goodness people can create two characters in the beginning and an extra character each day after that. With my first character, I picked up everything, started burying a corpse, got impatient when it wasn't progressing in real time, and started down a road. My second character stayed in a town and watched events for a few days before talking. I'm sure it happens to a lot of new people. It would be good if there was some sort of a warning that traveling takes 3 days in average, and could even take long enough for a character to starve to death.
Not-so-sad panda
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:14 pm

So at the least... would it be possible to make traveling slightly faster for walkers? I'm not suggesting the Travel Hop thing. Not at all. But I'm failing to understand the opposition given how large the world is these days....
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:23 pm

I'm for this. It can be two/three times faster without any harm for the game.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
Hedgedhogst

Postby Hedgedhogst » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:26 pm

I'm all for this as well... There is one question I have though. Are there any top-end vehicles that get built just for their extra speed? I just have the slight concern that if there is such a vehicle, it may be made slightly more obsolete by this. It's certainly not reason enough to be against said suggestion... Just my curiousity getting the better of me.
3431-5.19: You novicely kill a badger using a bare fist.
4037-4.03: You expertly kill an elephant using a crumbling bone spear.
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:22 pm

I guess I never made a poll for this one and I can't see how to do it now as there is no edit tab on my first entry. Sorry about that . :?

― Mark Twain
NancyLee

Postby NancyLee » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm for this too, mostly reagarding new players; travelling can be really disheartening.

Edit: voted.
Last edited by NancyLee on Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Nothing is absolute. Everything changes, everything moves, everything revolves, everything flies and goes away.”
― Frida Kahlo
Greek
Programming Dept. Member/Translator-Polish

Postby Greek » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:43 pm

Poll added.
‘Never! Run before you walk! Fly before you crawl! Keep moving forward! You think we should try to get a decent mail service in the city. I think we should try to send letters anywhere in the world! Because if we fail, I’d rather fail really hugely’
guilletierno

Postby guilletierno » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:09 pm

i like this idea!!

i don't care about vehicles, personally, i think they are to carry more weight and to fabricate others items using travel time.
El vino viene cantando desde la tierra,
baja del cerro hecho agua,
y en una raíz se queda,
y sube por una camino que se llama enredadera,
parra, parrón, vid, mil hojas, verde sombra o como quieras.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm all for this.

I don't think vehicles will suffer that much from an increase to walking speed, because vehicles are made for their capacity as well as their speed (and sometimes made for status rather than capacity).
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
JsWill

Postby JsWill » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:21 am

Supported! :mrgreen:
Estaar

Postby Estaar » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:47 am

In the mountains in Switzerland (and probably lots of other places where I have never been ...), they have these signposts that do not only tell you the destination you're heading for but also the time it will take an average walker to get there. Couldn't we do something similar in the game, an automatic(!) indication of how many days it will take a fully loaded person to walk to a certain destination?

I was also astonished in the beginning at the amount of days it can take to walk somewhere, but on the other hand I really like the fact that it slows the game down. We have to many fast things in real life already, for my taste.
Stranger in a strange land.
viktor

Postby viktor » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:36 am

slightly increasing walking speed... i am neutral, i have nothing against it... well... i have had chars walk roads and chart their distances in time units so i guess any and all reasearch done like that would become trash but otherwise..
Nalaris

Postby Nalaris » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:04 am

Traveling is a period of time wherein you are not allowed to play the game, and it lasts real life days. Seriously, unless you happen to be traveling with someone else, there is nothing to do while on the road. You are very likely to have zero reason to ever pull up the char while they're on the road, and that's bad. Yeah, sure, you can have other characters, but just because it could be worse doesn't mean it's not a bad situation.
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Nalaris wrote:Traveling is a period of time wherein you are not allowed to play the game, and it lasts real life days. Seriously, unless you happen to be traveling with someone else, there is nothing to do while on the road. You are very likely to have zero reason to ever pull up the char while they're on the road, and that's bad. Yeah, sure, you can have other characters, but just because it could be worse doesn't mean it's not a bad situation.

Agreed. I guess I should have put an "I don't care" option on the poll, but I didn't think of it at the time. Even now that my second round of characters are getting older and some have access to faster transportation, I still don't see anything positive about some of the incredibly long distances between locations. And certainly if you are a new player who has no concept of how long some of these roads are and are quite likely to hit the road after spawning if for no other reason than curiosity, it could be a game killer, either literally because of lack of food, or figuratively due to complete and utter boredom.

― Mark Twain

Return to “Likely Suggestions”