Desire-Based Spawning (DBS)

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are accepted, but are awaiting implementation

Moderators: Players Department, Public Relations Department, Players Department Trainee, Development Monitor, Resources Department, Programming Department

Do you like the idea of guided spawning?

Yes - I like the proposal given
71%
Yes - I like the idea, but not so much the suggestions given
16%
I Might like the idea. I need to read more.
7%
No - sounds like a bad idea
4%
I don't give a crap
1%

Total votes: 70
HFrance

Re: Desire-Based Spawning (DBS)

Postby HFrance » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:14 pm

It is not a question of language. My english is the worst of all here in this forum. It is a matter of model of game. There is nothing in the mechanics of Cantr allowing talk of birth, fertility, procreation, family, contraception, etc.. When we speak of the system based on desire, not talking on the desire of the characters, but the desire of the player community at every location. It's a players/location desire-based system.
Cantr II is a social simulator. What is not working is due a problem in the society.
Cantr is like Vegas - what happens in the game should be in the game.
"It's a virtual world, not a theme park!" (Richard Bartle)
EchoMan
GAB/Prog. Chair/LD (Sv)

Postby EchoMan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:48 pm

The gene system does actually make newspawns somewhat resemble their "parents" in the location, but beyond than that you are correct.
guy_fawkes

Re: Spawn on a new island?

Postby guy_fawkes » Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:56 am

Im not sure I follow the concept. Are you suggesting that each time you make a new character it spawns on a seperate island? Cause if that is what your considering, count me in! That sounds very good!
Bmot

Re: Spawn on a new island?

Postby Bmot » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:33 pm

guy_fawkes wrote:Im not sure I follow the concept. Are you suggesting that each time you make a new character it spawns on a seperate island? Cause if that is what your considering, count me in! That sounds very good!

Only if you tick the box ;) So, it's not automatic, just possible.
Genie wrote:Liking Cantr is a bit like liking cats. Sometimes you enjoy it and you have good time together, sometimes it hurts you, annoys you very much or sleeps all the day, you still keep a bond with it.
Bmot

Re: Configurable Spawning

Postby Bmot » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:50 am

Merged topics about "desire based spawning"
Genie wrote:Liking Cantr is a bit like liking cats. Sometimes you enjoy it and you have good time together, sometimes it hurts you, annoys you very much or sleeps all the day, you still keep a bond with it.
*Wiro

Postby *Wiro » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:59 am

There's dozens of islands, yet all my characters spawn on Treefeather. Every. Single. Time. :( I guess I'm lucky, at least, that it's my favourite island.
Retired player. Feel free to message me. Be well.

Read about my characters by following this link.
kicking jay

Postby kicking jay » Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:01 pm

*Wiro wrote:There's dozens of islands, yet all my characters spawn on Treefeather. Every. Single. Time. :( I guess I'm lucky, at least, that it's my favourite island.

Same, but it's my second least favorite!

I really, really prefer the smaller islands.
Elros

Postby Elros » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:52 pm

Yeah, any status on this?
Every action has a consequence.
ObsessedWithCats

Postby ObsessedWithCats » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:00 pm

What form of this exactly has been accepted, or is that not figured out yet?

I feel like some variation on this could maybe pull the game out of the slump I've been seeing lately - there's nothing more demoralising than spawning a new character on the same small island half your other characters are already on, in a town full of sleepers, where all sensible escape options will take years to work out (during which you'll have to tiptoe around your other characters) and there's no other IC-sensible response for your new character that wont bring them in way too much contact with your existing characters. I've never considered killing a character straight off the bat before but it's starting to look like the only workable option here, and as much as I dislike the town I don't want to do that to them or to my character who I've put effort into thinking up.

And then on the flip side I've another town where they've resources and work to offer to easily three or four newspawns as-is, with more wakeful and active characters than sleepyville above, but because their wakeful citizens are all of their citizens which is less than a third of sleepyville's population they've not had a newspawn in as long as I can remember.

[/rant]

So yeah, I think this is something not just nice but really important, and I was wondering if any progress has been/is being/is expected to be made on it. We need something at least besides 'how many people are alive' (and whatever current distance-to-other-characters limit) to be determining spawn locations, and it might as well have some element of player preference on either or both end(s).

Return to “Accepted Suggestions”