Desire-Based Spawning (DBS)

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

Do you like the idea of guided spawning?

Yes - I like the proposal given
73%
Yes - I like the idea, but not so much the suggestions given
14%
I Might like the idea. I need to read more.
5%
No - sounds like a bad idea
6%
I don't give a crap
1%

Total votes: 78
the_antisocial_hermit

Re: Desire-Based Spawning (DBS)

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:54 am

I like both ideas, especially the first. No idea on how it could be implemented though.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Addicted

Postby Addicted » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:02 am

I like the first and the implications are clear.

Removing yourself from the spawn pool however...

1. Those other language sailors leaving a poor, unable to communicate with the locals, newspawn may be prevented, but only if the sailors did the right thing, but either way it's an improvement as some surely will.

2. Other implications are rather odd though. Maybe this can be discussed further? Who would use it and why? I'm in a group travelling around and check this button so no one spawns in the empty towns, or towns I don't like or to increase the chances ever so slightly, that the newspawn is in the town I live in?
guilletierno

Postby guilletierno » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:22 am

Option 2 sound like a made-of-rubber object...
can be to carry these object the way to implement this one?

Option 1 sound like an active project

like for both
El vino viene cantando desde la tierra,
baja del cerro hecho agua,
y en una raíz se queda,
y sube por una camino que se llama enredadera,
parra, parrón, vid, mil hojas, verde sombra o como quieras.
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:30 am

guilletierno wrote:Option 2 sound like a made-of-rubber object...
can be to carry these object the way to implement this one?
Option 1 sound like an active project

Okay... I have no idea what that means. :shock:
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:06 am

Just think conception and the ways to avoid or make it happen, BC.
Black Canyon

Postby Black Canyon » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:14 am

the_antisocial_hermit wrote:Just think conception and the ways to avoid or make it happen, BC.

Wow. I'm such a doofus. :oops:
“Now and then we had the hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates.”

― Mark Twain
Estaar

Postby Estaar » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:32 am

I like both suggestions, so I voted for 1).

Not sure how to implement the first suggestion, since for me, this should also have an element of 'having to prove' that you deserve new characters spawning in your town, and of course that is hard to do (and will probably encounter a fair amount of opposition in this thread).

What I am saying is based on my experience as a fairly new player: I have characters that spawned in almost empty towns, but also some that spawned in full towns. For pretty well all of the latter, there was food and materials to make basic tools, often there were clothes as well. But in quite a few of those towns, there also was an 'inner circle' of so well established people that it was very hard to actually grow into feeling 'part of a community'. Yes you were fed, yes you were clothed, yes you got basic protection and even sometimes weapons, but after that you were mostly left to yourself watching older characters whisper or talk among themselves with no worry as to how to ease this new character into their community. In most of these cases I ended up leaving my spawn town to see if I would fit in more easily somewhere else.

This is why I would find it good if players themselves could also have a say in where their characters spawn (with an option to let the game decide, since lack of experience will make it hard for new players to answer this question). I saw this discussed in some other thread (I think it had to do with how to keep new players or get more players or something like that) but I cannot find it, that's why I put it here. If someone can point me to that thread, I'd be grateful.
Stranger in a strange land.
Indigo

Postby Indigo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:40 am

I like both suggestions. And I also like the "object" and "project" suggestion by guilletierno as the way to implement this.

Though, regarding the "project" suggestion, it should just increase slightly the chances of having newspawns, in order to avoid some towns becoming kind of... hatcheries? (it could also be fixed by being unable to join another "project" for a given time if the spawning was successful? Kind of a quarantine. Not sure, just brainstorming here).
Even so, this slight increase of the chances could bring up some interesting new ways of running certain towns. Just saying... :mrgreen:
Someone wrote:Being dark is an intelligent interpretation of the fabricated world, made up from our heads, there to tempt and play with us
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:52 pm

He was joking, Indigo. lol

Though a project would work for the first option. I was more thinking of types of objects you could build to make your spawning chances higher.

I don't think we ought to have to build little rubber objects (or any kind of object) and carry them around to take our characters out of the spawn algorithm. :P That should likely just be a box we can tick or untick on the individual character's page or something by the description box. Characters don't know that they're in a population pool that affects spawning, so how would they know they need to build and carry something around to prevent it?
Indigo

Postby Indigo » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Well, I do know he was joking, but I wasn't. :wink:

As I said, I liked both ideas. And, in game, I've met some characters who actually kind of "knew" they were in that population pool. Should they know? I don't know. But if they shouldn't, then why the first option (starting a project or, as you say, building an object to increase the chances of newspawns) should be available, and the one to prevent it not? If they don't know they're in that population pool, why should they know what to do to increase those chances?

If you want to make it all game mechanics-based (as in that box to tick or untick), that's okay, but I think that making it in-game (supported by the mechanics needed for the suggestions above) would be far more fun, and it would provide us with something new to play and roleplay around.
Someone wrote:Being dark is an intelligent interpretation of the fabricated world, made up from our heads, there to tempt and play with us
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:50 pm

I was thinking I'd prefer a setting option for players to choose, but then it may require some OOC coordination which I'd really want to avoid.

The problem I see with making it a project is that you're again penalizing small towns. They often can't afford to spend time on a project that only slightly increases their chances...still competing against all the other towns that want a newspawn.

Joke or not, I don't want yet another thing for my chars to carry around just to prevent/increase the slim chance of getting a newspawn. And what if the materials aren't readily available to your char? Maybe if it only required a note (which all chars have access to and don't weigh anything) then I'd be in favor of it.

That said, I do like the possibilities and voted in favor. I'm just not sure the best way to implement it.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
sanchez
Administrator Emeritus

Postby sanchez » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:21 pm

I'd rather see something tied to locations, rather than characters or players.

How about a check for recently created projects? If you want more spawns, you'll start small projects frequently, but useful ones. And I think there should be indoor checks as well for chars. It's really tough to start or revive a town, and industriousness should be rewarded.
Bmot
Game Mechanics Chair / HR/PD Member

Postby Bmot » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Maybe it could be made so that activeness gets more newspawns? I mean, there are enough places that have like 20 people, but only two or three of them aren't sleeping. If you count activeness (We'd have to look how to measure that, of course), it'd be more fair, in my honest opinion.
Richard Dawkins wrote:We privileged few, who won the lottery of birth against all odds, how dare we whine at our inevitable return to that prior state from which the vast majority have never stirred?
SumBum

Postby SumBum » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:39 pm

I really think it should be some sort of ratio to even the odds for the smaller towns.

The problem with basing it on activeness is the traveling chars who don't want to spawn any chars in a place where they'd be left behind, or in a town with no others in their language group, etc etc. I do know paired up chars who settle in a town and do not want any others there. It would be nice if you have no desire to nurture new chars that you have the ability to prevent them from spawning other than traveling/living solo.

On a side note, I thought chars indoors were counted for spawning? I've had newspawns appear and thought the town was completely empty but it was because everyone was inside.
I don't know karate, but I know KA-RAZY!! - James Brown
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:43 pm

Bmot wrote:Maybe it could be made so that activeness gets more newspawns? I mean, there are enough places that have like 20 people, but only two or three of them aren't sleeping. If you count activeness (We'd have to look how to measure that, of course), it'd be more fair, in my honest opinion.

That doesn't solve the problem of newspawns "not fitting in" "being ignored" or "not having something to do." You can have a very active or industrious town and newspawns get ignored. I want to empower the characters to be able to attract newspawns if they want them, and repel them if they don't. It serves the town, and serves the newspawn. Industriousness is not an indicator of want, nor is general activity.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly

Return to “Likely Suggestions”