Show Actions In Whispers

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

NostalgicMelody7

Show Actions In Whispers

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Okay, so I was playing yesterday, and I was whispering somebody and I was about to add an action to it (*Pats him on the back, kisses him, punches her in the face, etc*), but then I got to thinking... Wouldn't it be more realistic *SHOT* if people could somehow see the actions of the whisper and still not hear the conversation?

Keep in mind that I have no idea how this could be implemented... Since everyone's writing styles are different and it would be hard to make a template of any kind or whatever. I guess "Words words words *punches him in the face*" can turn into "You see that person 1 punches him in the face as they whisper" or something. Gah, there are so many flaws in this, I know. Who is this mysterious "him"? It could be uncle Jeff D;

I guess this might be seen as a big rambling, but if it was implemented somehow, it would be awesome :3
gejyspa

Re: Show Actions In Whispers

Postby gejyspa » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:57 pm

I always show my actions to the world out loud when whispering (at least, those big enough to be reasonably seen and not too annoying for the outside world to see. Not things like *His voice catches* or *he raises an eyebrow* But backpats? Definitely.
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:47 pm

It would be easy enough to designate certain characters that would offset the text outside the whisper, much as in FTO * indicates an emote that gets bolded.

You whisper to X: I think we should kill Tom. #*glances at Tom*#

You see Y whisper to X, *glances at Tom*
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Hedgedhogst

Postby Hedgedhogst » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:06 pm

Oh Doug, I love you. That is just pure perfect in my opinion. 8)
3431-5.19: You novicely kill a badger using a bare fist.
4037-4.03: You expertly kill an elephant using a crumbling bone spear.
Vega

Postby Vega » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:38 pm

I see this a little useless, in my opinion. You need to incorporate special characters to make them visible, so people only is going to see what you want them to see.
Same thing can be done if you just write the whisper text in the whisper place and you write your emotes out loud.
I mean... It's a good idea, but people is going to let people see what they want the same, so, I think this won't change anything, it's only more programming work...
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:20 pm

It skips steps, and decreases the number of displayed events, which is a good thing imo. You can do in one line what you normally would need multiple lines to do.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Perhaps a tag should be picked out that people can choose to use if they want to show an action in the midst of their whispering. Not all actions would necessarily be visible to everyone, like *glances at Tom*. Not even a back pat would always be necessarily visible, for instance if you had your palm resting on his shoulder already, and then you patted his back lightly with your fingers.

I'd definitely like a way to combine doing the two, because I like RPing things that are likely to get noticed outside of the whispers or that I would hope people might notice. Things like, *gives Tom a huge clap on the back* or *glances at Tom significantly*. It'd be nice to be able to do so without it being terribly clunky. I just think it should be the player's choice on what they show.
Glitch! is dead! Long live Glitch!
Remember guys and gals, it's all Pretendy Fun Time Games!
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:30 pm

the_antisocial_hermit wrote:Perhaps a tag should be picked out that people can choose to use if they want to show an action in the midst of their whispering.

That was my suggestion, wasn't it? :wink:
Sunni Daez

Postby Sunni Daez » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:42 pm

Not everything done in emote.. do I want to see... you know.. people still fool around in the middle of a group of people .. even though whispers can be overheard.. to much of that is done in emotes..

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
curious

Postby curious » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:45 pm

gejyspa wrote:I always show my actions to the world out loud when whispering (at least, those big enough to be reasonably seen and not too annoying for the outside world to see. Not things like *His voice catches* or *he raises an eyebrow* But backpats? Definitely.

This, and I also think there are emotes that could be kept 'secret' from even stringent observers, but I don't know how you would cater for this, other than get people to play it a certain way, and then they'll just play all their emotes as 'secret'.
NostalgicMelody7

Postby NostalgicMelody7 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:07 pm

Doug R. wrote:It would be easy enough to designate certain characters that would offset the text outside the whisper, much as in FTO * indicates an emote that gets bolded.

You whisper to X: I think we should kill Tom. #*glances at Tom*#

You see Y whisper to X, *glances at Tom*

I love this idea! Except, now I see a flaw in my own suggestion. Crazy, huh? XDD People can always just not use the special characters to make huge events secret. I would say punching someone in the face would be something everyone would notice, but people could just be like who cares, it's invisible now. That would be bad RP, though, I guess. *shrug*
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:08 am

Doug R. wrote:
the_antisocial_hermit wrote:Perhaps a tag should be picked out that people can choose to use if they want to show an action in the midst of their whispering.

That was my suggestion, wasn't it? :wink:

I thought you were meaning something that would just catch emotes without player choice. :) (though that would require many different tags to really work)
Doug R.

Postby Doug R. » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:40 pm

No, that's why I put the # # in the action.
the_antisocial_hermit

Postby the_antisocial_hermit » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:05 pm

I was tired and my brain edited out the #. It likes to edit out a lot of things when it's tired. :P
Oasis

Postby Oasis » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:31 pm

As much as *he gives Tom a big hug* should realistically be visible to everyone, it would have to be players choice, mostly for the reasons Sunni mentioned about not wanting to see any 'inappropriate' public emotes. I think this is a huge step towards making it better than it is. I fully support it. I am far too lazy to stop my whisper, post out loud an action, then go back to my whisper. This would completely solve that.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”