Clocks.

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are accepted, but are awaiting implementation

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Players Department Trainee, Development Monitor, Resources Department, Programming Department

User avatar
Theda
Administrator Emeritus
Posts: 4399
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:22 pm

Clocks.

Postby Theda » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:09 am

I would like to have clocks.

I think it would be fun to role-play the time in Cantr with them and there is great variety. It could be a furniture (clocks for the wall, grandfather clocks, cuckoo clocks) or jewellery as wristwatch with gold and diamonds or with the sphere with some gems, and the classics clocks with a chain for men. These last could work like the lockets, with a note for example.
"Nunc id Vides, Nunc ne Vides."
User avatar
psychowico
Posts: 1732
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:57 am
Contact:

Re: Clocks.

Postby psychowico » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:25 am

Nice - maybe they should have actual Cantr time in their name?
"Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

https://www.kinkykitty.pl
User avatar
EchoMan
GAB/Prog. Chair/LD (Sv)
Posts: 7763
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:01 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Clocks.

Postby EchoMan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:35 pm

Nice idea. I'd like alarm clocks too, that you could set a time and it highlights your character. :)
User avatar
Doug R.
Posts: 14856
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Clocks.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Hmm...characters already have internal chronometers that are accurate down to the second. Why would a Cantrian ever even consider inventing a clock?
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
User avatar
Addicted
Posts: 958
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:42 pm
Location: Australia

Re: Clocks.

Postby Addicted » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:14 pm

'cause they look nice on the mantle piece?
Shadowly
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: Clocks.

Postby Shadowly » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:05 pm

I think clocks are good idea because already we know what time is it in Cantr. But we cant say "at 3:23 be there" Or something because we dont have clocks... It will be nice to RP.
Image
User avatar
Doug R.
Posts: 14856
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Clocks.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:08 pm

I feel the opposite - it will hinder my role-play. If we implement clocks, does it take away my character's ability to always know the time? Will I have to start role-playing that I can't know the time without a clock? If I still rp that I know the time, will other players give start giving me crap for it? (OOC: Your character can't know the time, since there's no clock here).
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
Shadowly
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: Clocks.

Postby Shadowly » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:13 pm

I think it will be better, because already you can say "Meet there at night" and you can say "Be there at 5" And everybody know what you mean, because now we dont have clocks. When we will get them we need to RP that you dont know what time is it... And change your word from "at 5" to "at night"...
Image
User avatar
Doug R.
Posts: 14856
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Clocks.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:37 pm

Shadowly wrote:I think it will be better, because already you can say "Meet there at night" and you can say "Be there at 5" And everybody know what you mean, because now we dont have clocks. When we will get them we need to RP that you dont know what time is it... And change your word from "at 5" to "at night"...


Then I'm definitely against this idea. The only way you're getting my character's chronometer is to cut it out of their cold, dead, head.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
User avatar
Ronja Rotschopf
Posts: 3521
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:04 pm
Location: Leipzig - Germany
Contact:

Re: Clocks.

Postby Ronja Rotschopf » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:48 pm

I agree with Doug, but I like EchoMan's idea about the alarm clock.

Sometimes I simply forget to play some characters because they don't have any new events. (happens quite often when I check them when not having time for really playing them)
User avatar
Doug R.
Posts: 14856
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 6:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Clocks.

Postby Doug R. » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:55 pm

An alarm clock would have a novel purpose, and I would support that.
Hamsters is nice. ~Kaylee, Firefly
User avatar
Theda
Administrator Emeritus
Posts: 4399
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:22 pm

Re: Clocks.

Postby Theda » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:26 pm

Doug R. wrote:I feel the opposite - it will hinder my role-play. If we implement clocks, does it take away my character's ability to always know the time? Will I have to start role-playing that I can't know the time without a clock? If I still rp that I know the time, will other players give start giving me crap for it? (OOC: Your character can't know the time, since there's no clock here).


I think this is a bit extremist. In my RL, I don't use clock and nobody tells me: "Hey, you cannot know the hour because you have no clock."

In Cantr, some people role-play with the day and the night, the sun and the moon and other people who is against of this, but there are two options, depending on the tastes and the role of player who wants to develop its character. Likewise, there are players who role-play with the inclement weather, those who speak of thunder and rain storms at sea and others who simply ignore this nuance which is not defined in Cantr.

In my opinion, if you don't want to role-play the time with a clock, just don't make any clock and leave the option for those who want. I roleplayed the time with hourglasses, water, etc. everything that occurred to me for that a story was consistent, but I don't have forced to anyone to use "my watches". Besides, if one of my characters meet with one of your own and explain how to make a clock and measure the time, I'm sure that your character would find amusing. :wink:

Ronja Rotschopf wrote:I agree with Doug, but I like EchoMan's idea about the alarm clock.


Clocks no, alarm clock yes. Is not this incoherent?
"Nunc id Vides, Nunc ne Vides."
User avatar
Sunni Daez
Posts: 3549
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:33 pm
Location: ~A blissful state of mind~
Contact:

Re: Clocks.

Postby Sunni Daez » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:05 pm

Doug R. wrote:
Shadowly wrote:I think it will be better, because already you can say "Meet there at night" and you can say "Be there at 5" And everybody know what you mean, because now we dont have clocks. When we will get them we need to RP that you dont know what time is it... And change your word from "at 5" to "at night"...


Then I'm definitely against this idea. The only way you're getting my character's chronometer is to cut it out of their cold, dead, head.



Ditto


But I do like alarms I suppose.
Image

Run...Dragon...Run!!!
User avatar
Theda
Administrator Emeritus
Posts: 4399
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:22 pm

Re: Clocks.

Postby Theda » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:25 am

psychowico wrote:Nice - maybe they should have actual Cantr time in their name?


I have thought in the clocks with a description like the clothes, but we can to see the posibility to add the actual Cantr time when you see the clock, like with the lockets, I think.

EchoMan wrote:Nice idea. I'd like alarm clocks too, that you could set a time and it highlights your character. :)


I love your idea.
"Nunc id Vides, Nunc ne Vides."
User avatar
Vega
Posts: 2191
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:39 am
Location: Lejos. Far away.
Contact:

Re: Clocks.

Postby Vega » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:11 pm

Doug R. wrote:I feel the opposite - it will hinder my role-play. If we implement clocks, does it take away my character's ability to always know the time? Will I have to start role-playing that I can't know the time without a clock? If I still rp that I know the time, will other players give start giving me crap for it? (OOC: Your character can't know the time, since there's no clock here).


I know this can be a little out of topic... But you've reminded me my father, when we were at the beach and asked him "what time is it?". He used to stand up, look at the sky, raise a hand and start counting moving it slowly to the west. So he said "it's around..." and we run to the clock and he always was right... or almost.
Quebec Lima Delta November
Something like a story

Return to “Accepted Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest