Cigars

Threads moved from Suggestions for suggestions that are likely, but are awaiting approval and implementation.

Moderators: Public Relations Department, Players Department, Game Mechanics (RD), Programming Department

rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:03 am

Moved: In the process of being discussed and implemented. :D
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:47 pm

Please

Do not implement tobacco. Not unless it can kill and have severe addiction and health problems associated with it.

Tobacco makes no sense in Cantr. The only reason it is so prolific in the real world is due to Centuries of use, and nicotine addiction.

Why would a Cantrian ever start smoking? If addiction is implemented, you would have to be prepared to get your character addicted to it, which would only make sense to a limited number of roleplayers who would do it for the RP effect. In all likelihood, other Cantrians would see smokers as fools and idiots.

If addiction and health problems are not associated with tobacco, than that's a deeply irresponsible choice.

Huge amounts of money from governments and various organisations are put into improving the awareness of just how damaging smoking is. Yet, thorughout the media, it is still glamourised. I'd rather not see Cantr fall into that section of the media that perpetuates the view that smoking is a safe and acceptable.
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:48 pm

The same goes for the implementation of drugs and alcohol.
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
Crosshair

Postby Crosshair » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:08 pm

Perhaps someone could start some crazy story that its good for you ;)
[url=http://dragcave.net/view/tvkg][img]http://dragcave.net/image/tvkg.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://dragcave.net/view/RgKP][img]http://dragcave.net/image/RgKP.gif[/img][/url]
rklenseth

Postby rklenseth » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:48 pm

As being discussed in Resources; there would be positives and negatives from using such things which is why they haven't been implemented yet because we don't have the full programming for it.

These things also have role playing use that players have been asking for for a long time.
Marian

Postby Marian » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:38 pm

I can't picture any of my chars smoking a cigar, but making one just by rolling tobacco (or hemp! :D) up in a piece of paper would be cool. Could that be a way to get rid of some those annoying uneditable notes stuffed in trash envelopes everywhere?
Crosshair

Postby Crosshair » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:30 pm

I think a cigar would be appropriate for a few of my charries!
[url=http://dragcave.net/view/tvkg][img]http://dragcave.net/image/tvkg.gif[/img][/url]

[url=http://dragcave.net/view/RgKP][img]http://dragcave.net/image/RgKP.gif[/img][/url]
funetik

Postby funetik » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:10 pm

You see John finish his cigar and skillfully burn Jane's face stubbing it out.
John says: "Mmm, yeah. Nothing like a cigar in the morning."
You see John light up a cigar and lean against the wall of the town hall.

hallucinatingfarmer - It's far to say that there are health issues with smoking and that if smoking was implemented IG that some of these would need to be addressed, but I think there's a limit.

The smelting of metals, various fire pits burning coal and wood, etc, are all harmful in much the same way smoking is. Unless Cantrians are spawned with filtering masks and it goes unsaid.

Smoking is a thing that humans do. It's a common bond between pretty much all cultures (not all) - the same as eating and sleeping.
formerly known as hf

Postby formerly known as hf » Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:16 pm

funetik wrote:The smelting of metals, various fire pits burning coal and wood, etc, are all harmful in much the same way smoking is. Unless Cantrians are spawned with filtering masks and it goes unsaid.
But there is a point to that.

There's no point to smoking except to feed an addiction.
[quote[Smoking is a thing that humans do. It's a common bond between pretty much all cultures (not all) - the same as eating and sleeping.[/quote]How can you compare smoking to eating and sleeping? - that's just plain wrong, and frankly, incredibly stupid. You need to eat to live, you need to sleep to survive. You most certainly do not need to smoke.

It may be a common thread in Real-life cultures, one that is increasingly (and rightly) spurned. It is not something that is common in Cantrian cultures - the 'culture of smoking' has had centuries to develop, there is no reason for a Cantrian society to develop a similar reason for smoking, especially if they are aware of the risks.

People who are sayng that their character would look 'good' with a cigar should realise that they would only look 'good', or it would ony suit them, because of real-life opinions and real-life connotations around the act of smoking.

Such connotaions are not attached to smoking in Cantr - and I think it would be wrong to forcefully introduce such preconceptions about smoking.
Whoever you vote for.

The government wins.
funetik

Postby funetik » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:13 pm

Maybe I didn't phrase that quite the way I meant to. I see Cantr as a kind of mirror of the human world. They communicate, eat, sleep (when you do at least), make friends, fall in love, build houses, steal, etc. In my mind, Cantrians are human.

Given, smoking isn't a good thing, but it's an extremely important thing, historically and sometimes religiously. It probably wouldn't serve a point in Cantr, but I think it would offer more than you can see.

Much the same way you've said that some people would like their characters to smoke due to their real life preconceptions, I think your preconceptions are clouding your judgement; you obviously hate the idea of smoking in real life. I believe Cantrians should have the right to smoke if they want. It's bad enough that soon you won't be allowed to smoke in real life whilst you're having a drink (March 26th, Scotland), but it's even worse that the idea of smoking in a fictional setting upsets people.

In all honesty, can you see anyone being influenced to smoke by Cantr?
I think everyone who plays the game has their own mind and ultimately it should be their choice, but I agree that it shouldn't be glamourised.

Lots of people smoke different things worldwide and it's not all down to Addiction. A lot of tribes smoke various things for religious/traditional reasons and (without having put any research into it) I'd take a guess that some of these people value smoking as much as they value eating and sleeping.

Do you seriously want to deny the people of Cantr a smoking cult?

Sorry, not being serious. My point is that I'm fed up of political correctness and being told what's good and what's bad for me. People have their own minds and can make up their own decisions, especially in a fictional setting.
mtm21

Postby mtm21 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:35 am

When is this going to be put in cantr? I just thought about suggesting it so I did a search on it and here it is still here. It is not implemented yet. LOL I can make an addition to laws. :twisted:
Phalynx

Postby Phalynx » Mon Jul 17, 2006 11:15 am

It's lame.. I hope it doesn't get implemented, if it does every character that uses shouldautomatically get 50% tiredness and drop dead 3 years later...
R.I.P:
Blake Stone, Jizz Bucket, Patterson Queasley, Billy Sherwood, Chavlet D'Arcy, Johnson.
Schme

Postby Schme » Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:51 pm

Damn right. When will you guys get that drugs or whatever in Cantr is a dumbass idea?

If you want to get fucked up, role play it. It's not hard. To put it into the mechanics makes no sense, it's a waste of time and space, and the last thing anyone wants to see is "Some guy lights a cigar."

Role play smoking this way. *Takes a pieces of thin bark and sprinkles dried tobbaco into it. *

*Licks the edge of bark and rolls into a cone.*

*Lights tobbaco on the cooking fire and inhales.*

Fuck, it's full easy. What's wrong with you guys?
"One death is a tragedy, a million is just statistics."
Joseph Stalin
Peanut

Postby Peanut » Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:34 pm

The only addiction I'll need in cantr is Sabreing :lol:
Agar

Postby Agar » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:39 pm

I always saw Fidel Castro with a cigar. You want a cigar, go ahead. Just RP you have a cigar.
Reality was never my strong point.

Return to “Likely Suggestions”